Aug 10, 2019
716
549
This definitely makes sense, since otherwise you'd never fill up the class.

I was referring to the A multiplier being sometimes less than one, which I've heard some schools do (i.e. accepting only ~80% of the class initially and the remaining ~20% are taken off the WL). I have no clue what the strategy is there though (as opposed to accepting the entire class size first and pulling from the WL when those accepted applicants rescind their acceptances).
I think you might be misremembering what you heard...
There would be No reason to ever offer fewer than a 1 multiplier , or in other words, minimally offering enough acceptances to fill the class exactly.

A school like NYU now has a very high yield, almost a different yield problem than Harvard and maybe harder to predict. So they off very close to 1x As and then use WL for the 1-Yield remainders 20%. Whereas Harvard might do 1.1-1.2x and need a only a few WLs.
 
Aug 10, 2019
716
549
Do we have any stats that shows only 10-20 people who get other acceptances and also HMS, deny HMS? Curious.
Look the X vs Y forum in March after Harvard and other non rolling accept, and also merit aid often sent out.
You'll see full tuition scholarships at a T30 will often (not always as some feel the name is worth it) Trump full loans at HMS. Wash U, Verderbilt, NYU, Michigan, UCLA, Emory, U Chicago to name some schools giving out large merit grants to elite candidates capable of HMS acceptance.
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads