Waitlist technicality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasukeuchiha33

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would be great if @Goro @LizzyM @gyngyn @gonnif and other people could shed some light on this for me.

Let’s say I’m put on a waitlist for a school and this school was my only interview for the cycle. I’m operating under the assumption that I’m not getting in anywhere that cycle, since banking on an acceptance from a school I’m waitlisted at would be foolish. With that knowledge, I beef up my application in pretty substantial ways (I know there wouldn’t be a huge amount of time between my finding out about my waitlist and the start of the next cycle to beef up a whole ton but bear with me).

I have a higher MCAT, more volunteering hours, better research, better recommenders, etc and I submit AMCAS on the first date in June. I finish secondaries in a couple weeks, maybe even get an interview in July if I’m lucky. Then, I get a call from the waitlisted school saying that I’m accepted in August a week before classes start. My question is this: what are the repercussions for turning down that waitlist acceptance? AMCAS and my secondaries are submitted by this point so there’s nothing to indicate to med schools that I had a previous acceptance, so that shouldn’t be a red flag on my app, right? Now if I was offered a position off the waitlist in May or June that’s a different story since I now have to indicate this, but what if I didn’t find out until August?

I did read somewhere that AAMC publishes a list of all accepted students (even students on the waitlist who are potentially unaware of their acceptance) and that this list is sent to medical schools before the start of the next cycle, so even if I didn’t find out until late it wouldn’t matter because med schools would have my name on this list saying I was accepted even if I didn’t find out in time to indicate this on AMCAS or secondaries. Idk if this is true though so someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Aren't you the same guy who made this thread?

not sure why you're so intent on giving up a "bird in the bush" when it still doesn't exist
IU is also a good school. This isn't something like LMU-DCOM

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you wouldn't attend a school, even if they asked you from the waitlist, remove yourself from the waitlist and reapply . You will be doing a huge favor to the person on the list who actually will attend and you will get what you deserve.

Reactions: 4 users
If you're so desperate to not go to IU, just release your waitlist position and reapply next year.

Reactions: 4 users
Aren't you the same guy who made this thread?

not sure why you're so intent on giving up a "bird in the bush" when it still doesn't exist
IU is also a good school. This isn't something like LMU-DCOM
I'm pretty sure it's the same...He/she has been here since 2017 so they should know better. I just lost track of all the assumptions from the post. So Let's get some popcorn. It's a new thread per month........

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Fallacy #4: the only thing can hold me back is other schools knowing I was accepted before. Medical schools will not, repeat, will not know of any other acceptance that you had in a previous cycle except for that medical school itself. While AMCAS with track every applicant and every acceptance, it is used now solely for statistics and tracking (from premed to the end of residency every doctor is tracked).
I also thought AMCAS schools have a way of knowing, in subsequent cycles, who held (and, therefore, gave up) an A in a prior cycle. If this is not the case, are you saying the only thing compelling applicants to honestly answer this question when asked (assuming the answer is yes) is their own morality and willingness to sabotage their application?

Drop the WL already and give your spot to someone who will attend. Based on your past posts, it looks like you want to go to a T10.

I beef up my application in pretty substantial ways (I know there wouldn’t be a huge amount of time between my finding out about my waitlist and the start of the next cycle to beef up a whole ton but bear with me).
How are you planning to spend the next few months or next year in order to do this?

In the “old” traffic rules and centralized report system that AMCAS ran until 2 or 3 years ago, all acceptances were tracked and reported by applicant name so that any school could ultimately see it.

In the new choose your medical school CYMS (which should be choose ridiculous acceptee system or CRAP), these centralize reports no longer are generated or released. The AMCAS application as well as many medical school secondaries ask about previous matriculations which are readily reported to all schools by AMCAS. A few may ask about previous acceptance which cannot be verified during the application process.

However during pre-matriculation, when a school performs due diligence, the Federal DOE anti-competitive rule that was the reason that old reporting system was dropped and CYMS was introduced, would not prevent AMCAS from reporting acceptances. I have no knowledge if individual schools request this info in any agreements with AMCAS for deeper background info. But some schools are using third party AMCAS vendors for due diligence on application verification and I could see this being part of that. While unlikely, I wouldnt risk a lie that could get your acceptance rescinded. Again, highly unlikely. So the probability of the risk occurring is low but the impact of the risk is high.
Makes perfect sense. I was just asking because I like to know stuff. I totally agree with your prior post that it should NEVER happen. Giving up a DO acceptance to try for MD in a subsequent cycle is crazy enough. Giving up a MD to try to trade up would be so self-destructive that it's difficult to contemplate. In the rare instance where it would be well justified and actually make sense, it seems like there would be no reason to lie about it, and it wouldn't doom an otherwise viable application.