1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Waitlist vs Alternate List

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cascy, Jul 24, 2001.

1. cascy

cascy Junior Member

Anyone know what the difference is between the waitlist and the alternate list?
    Which one is better?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. star23

star23 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Most people use those terms interchangeably. Schools use one or the other - but they mean the same thing.

4. Patrick O

Patrick O Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    not always.... some schools I have heard have an alternate list that has priority to a list that they keep as a waitlist.... The alternates move to acceptances and the waitlisters move to alternates.... I would expect this type of organization to be at schools with a large amounts of movement.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Due to popular demand, I'll move this to the Pre-Allo forum. :D

6. I agree, one of the schools I am waitlisted at distinguished between the waitlist and the alternate. When I called to check on whether they received a letter I had sent, I was asked if I was on the waitlist or the alternate list. I don't know exactly what the difference is though...