waitlist vs. hold

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockaway2

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the difference between these? why would a school place an applicant in one category as opposed to the other?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

On hold means that you aren't officially waitlisted. This is common in schools that have ranked waitlists, but they haven't interviewed everybody (i.e. completed their review process) so they cant make the waitlist yet.

Usually when you are on hold it means you will eventually be waitlisted, but that's not always true. I got accepted from an "on hold," so it is also possible that you can jump from that and skip the waitlist.

thanks Kazzar, I appreciate the reply

Members don't see this ad :)
Kazaar,

Did you do anything special to get jump from hold to acceptance? I'm curious to know... :) Thanks!

Tico

I was going to have my boss write a letter to the dean (well he offered) and he is the director of the Brain Imaging Center at UCI. It was in the "drafts" folder of his email, but he never sent it out. He told me today, after I told him I got into UCI, that sometimes people put in a good word without you knowing. I was thinking some strings were being pulled, but I talked to somebody else I work with (this is all in the UCI College of Medicine) and he said that they stopped doing/allowing the "do me a favor and let this student/employee of mine get into med school" several years back.

Nevertheless, working in the college of medicine might have helped my chances. I started working there last August, which is during the admissions cycle. So if you live by a med school you like, working there might allow you a nice inside track, you never know.