SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Waitlist vs. Research Job

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jstuds_66, May 3, 2007.

  1. jstuds_66

    jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home 5+ Year Member

    Apr 24, 2006
    So I am on a waitlist at one school. I've been rejected from every other school that I applied to. The school I'm waitlisted at is far away from my family and my wife's family. I'm not very fond of the location of the school, but I think that it would be a good school to go to. Also, they will not tell me where I'm at on their waitlist.

    Next week I have a job interview for a Cardiology Research position. I have already interviewed with two of the three people that will be interviewing me. They were actually the ones that pushed my application for this job. Even if I don't get this job, they promised me another job for a different position to start in July. The benefits of this job would be that I could network more and get LOR's from well known doctors in the area. This would give me a much better chance at the school that I really want to go to. However, if I take this job they expect a committment of at least one year.

    In sum, I can either work for this research place, or hope to get into this school. I can't do both. So, if I get this research job (which will probably start before the end of May) do I take it and withdraw my application from the only school that I still have a chance at geting into? Please give me any advice that you can think of....
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. xanthomondo

    xanthomondo nom nom nom Banned Physician 10+ Year Member

    you do not want to withdraw that waitlist at all...even if you are the last possible applicant on the list, do not withdraw would go to the school if accepted, no? thats why you applied there?

    waitlist means > 0% chance of being accepted this year, and withdrawing it = 0% chance...and since your ultimate goal is to go to medical school do not pull it

    as for the research position, you could explain your situation, im sure they would be understanding, see if you can work something out with the PI
  4. speedyE

    speedyE 2+ Year Member

    Oct 11, 2006
    If you absolutely, positively, in no way want to go to the medical school you are waitlisted at, you should withdrawl. Why? Because if you are accepted and then turn it down, you then have to explain why you turned down an acceptance the next application cycle. That won't necessarily look good.

    However, that being said, if you have just small doubts about attending the school, hold out for the acceptance (and I think that if you are open about this possibility to the PI, they will be understanding and able to work something out). While your opportunities sound great for the upcoming year, there is no telling what would happen the next time around. Assuming everything works out, you most likely would be a more attractive applicant, but who knows...

    If things are going to be difficult potentially living far away from you and your wife's families, then that could be good reason to give it another go in a year. In that case, stick to paragraph #1. Think though that you still have residency to deal with and with that another chance to come closer to home (or also maybe be forced to go away depending on how things pan out).

    Good luck.
  5. jstuds_66

    jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home 5+ Year Member

    Apr 24, 2006
    Thank you for the advice. I'm still a little concerned though. If there is still a possibility that I would go to Medical School, I know they are going to be very hesitant to hire me for the research job. They have too many other applicants that can absolutely promise them the next year. So, I'm still a little confused, but thank you for your help. I guess I'll just have to see what happens...
  6. dude1344

    dude1344 10+ Year Member

    Jul 26, 2006
    just wanted to add that i've been having trouble finding jobs for this summer because i can't confidently give that commitment for the whole summer... It's a weird state to be in...
  7. SpartanBlueJay2

    SpartanBlueJay2 5+ Year Member

    Mar 15, 2007
    That's relatively understandable, especially if there's training involved. I'm applying for the 2008 cycle, and I had serious trouble finding a job because I couldn't commit for at least 2 years, which is ridiculous since I was applying for research tech jobs and I have 4 years of research experience... I'm already trained!
  8. LizzyM

    LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

    Mar 7, 2005
    Will you be under contract for 1 year or is this "at will" employment? At will employment means you could be terminated for any reason or no reason at all at any time. See for exceptions by State.

    Take the research job. Given your current situation, you have every intention of being there for a year. Stay on the wait list if you would go to that med school if called. Drop that waitlist if you've decided that you would not want to go to that school given your current circumstances. In the unlikely event that you get off the waitlist, you hand in your resignation. In the unlikely event that you win $45 million in the lottery, would you work the rest of the year? You can be sure that in the unlikely event that your research team lost its funding, they would fire you so you are even. They expect you to stay, you expect to stay but one never knows what might happen that is unlikely and unexpected.
  9. diosa428

    diosa428 SDN Angel 5+ Year Member

    Feb 24, 2005
    You may also want to ensure that your new job will be willing to give you some time off to go to interviews, etc, if you're going to reapply.
  10. jstuds_66

    jstuds_66 Free cat to a good home 5+ Year Member

    Apr 24, 2006
    I know they will because they flat out told me that they've designed this position for people who are planning to, or are applying to Med/Pharm/Grad/Etc School.

Share This Page