Waitlisted at Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

choo301

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough, it's been quite a while since I visited the forums. But I just got my waitlist letter in the mail today from Georgetown, and I just wanted to know: should I take this as an indication of my strength as an applicant, or is it just a crapshoot for which I had an unlucky roll of the dice?

The reason I ask is because I just interviewed at Columbia, and absolutely loved it there, but now I'm not sure that I'd even stand a chance come the adcom meetings in February.

On a separate note: if you interview with the dean of admissions, can you send in a thank you note with a P.S. regarding things you forgot to mention during the interview? Or is that incredibly tasteless?

Members don't see this ad.

Take the waitlist however you want: I'm strong; they may take me OR I'm not so strong; they may take someone else instead of me. You are definitely not horrible according to them. I think that being waitlisted is a neutral decision. Neither good nor bad.

two things: 1) Georgetown said they would waitlist a lot of students and that if you really want to go there you need to write a 3 paragraph letter explaining why its your first choice. They talk a lot of people off the waitlist in that way. And I believe its the only way off it. That said, there have been numerous threads about "fit" at georgetown. They are looking for a specific student and stellar numbers/ECs arent the only criteria. They really harp on the "cura personalis" (as you probably remember from the interview) and want students who embody that philosophy. No reason to worry about the waitlisting.

2) I believe my student tour guide at Columbia told me that Dr. Frantz (the Dean of Admissions) has personally read through all the applications (certainly all of those who are invited) and he was the one who ultimately got you your invitation. It was recommended that I send a thank you note to him as well. After all, that is a hell of a lot of reading. Honestly I was quite impressed that he did that.

Hope I answered your questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
2) I believe my student tour guide at Columbia told me that Dr. Frantz (the Dean of Admissions) has personally read through all the applications (certainly all of those who are invited) and he was the one who ultimately got you your invitation. It was recommended that I send a thank you note to him as well. After all, that is a hell of a lot of reading. Honestly I was quite impressed that he did that.

He also has final say on all acceptances...

He also has final say on all acceptances...
hmmm... it seems my guide forgot to mention that. i dont think a letter would really help, but it probably wouldnt hurt.