Waitlisted at top choice... what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhawk07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I found out today that I am waitlisted at my top choice... and they typically don't start taking people off the waitlist until late June. I have, however, received a couple other acceptances. One of these acceptances will require me to make living arrangements with future roommates fairly soon. My questions:

Is there any way to put some pressure on my waitlisted school, such as maybe call and explain my situation?
Also, if I am forced to wait until late June to hear from this waitlisted school, am I allowed to still hold on to an acceptance from a different (basically a back-up) institution?
What if I send this (waitlisting) school a LOI, does that prevent me from going through with an acceptance at a different institution? Could I possibly miss out on matriculating altogether?

I realize how lucky I am just to have one acceptance, I am trying to not come across as a spoiled brat, and I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is there any way to put some pressure on my waitlisted school, such as maybe call and explain my situation?

Probably not, they usually don't like to be pressured. But you can always call and tell them your situation, just don't use threats. :)

Also, if I am forced to wait until late June to hear from this waitlisted school, am I allowed to still hold on to an acceptance from a different (basically a back-up) institution?
Yep you are allowed to hold onto the acceptance at your back-up school

What if I send this (waitlisting) school a LOI, does that prevent me from going through with an acceptance at a different institution?
Nope, the LOI only tells them that they are your top choice, but doesnt prevent you from going elsewhere and holding a spot elsewhere.

I'd send the LOI and keep your acceptance at the backup.

I know your frustration.. I was wait-listed at a school across the country and accepted to graduate school. I wasn't sure if I was moving over the summer or not, and my graduate school wanted to know if I was going to attend or not so they could offer my position to someone else if I wasn't going to be.

All I can say is I hope the first-choice school lets you know soon because the waiting really, really sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same for me. What do you write in the LOI cos i really have no idea. I've been waitlisted too.

Thanks, i got it and will read through it.

Thanks armybound, i got it and will read through it.

I also got waitlisted at my top choice. I've already sent a LOI, and I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do to help me get in. Would it help if I did something like start volunteering more and send them an update letter? Anyone have advice? Thanks!

Some people suggested meeting with the dean. How can I do that? Do I just call the admissions office and ask to set up a time to meet with a dean? Also, what should I talk to the dean about? Is it okay to ask him directly what I can do to improve my application?

Thanks for the advice!

armybound, could you post that pm? or send it to me... but maybe if you post it, it'll help others out as well. thanks!

armybound, could you post that pm? or send it to me... but maybe if you post it, it'll help others out as well. thanks!

I agree, i think it will be great help to all of us. If not can you pm it to me too please.

Just to give you some hope...last year I was waitlisted at my top choice, and essentially wrote it off as a "courtesy rejection" and decided not to follow it up. Come May 24th, I get an e-mail asking me if I'm still interested, and then the next day a phone call with an acceptance. I never expected it in my wildest dreams, especially because I hadn't followed up. I'm not saying that means you shouldn't send a LOI - I think you should if it's your top choice, especially if you let them know that you'd go there for sure if you were accepted - but miracles, if you want to call them that, do happen. Good luck and I hope you get what you're looking for :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to jump on the PM boat, but pretty please? :) Pleease?

i'd love to see that PM too....

please PM me if you want it.

By the way, the user I got the advice from was cubbbie

I contacted him/her once regarding posting it in this thread, but he/she wanted to make some revisions before posting it.

Why dont you just post the info for everyone to see... If not, please PM me as well:)

the pm had actually been posted on sdn by someone before.

I'd send the LOI and keep your acceptance at the backup.

I know your frustration.. I was wait-listed at a school across the country and accepted to graduate school. I wasn't sure if I was moving over the summer or not, and my graduate school wanted to know if I was going to attend or not so they could offer my position to someone else if I wasn't going to be.

All I can say is I hope the first-choice school lets you know soon because the waiting really, really sucks.

Hi armybound -- I am in the same situation now -- accepted to grad school at a top school but hoping to get in off a med school waitlist. What did you do? Grad school timeline is April 15th to take the offer.

I found out today that I am waitlisted at my top choice... and they typically don't start taking people off the waitlist until late June. I have, however, received a couple other acceptances. One of these acceptances will require me to make living arrangements with future roommates fairly soon. My questions:

What if I send this (waitlisting) school a LOI, does that prevent me from going through with an acceptance at a different institution? Could I possibly miss out on matriculating altogether?

I realize how lucky I am just to have one acceptance, I am trying to not come across as a spoiled brat, and I would really appreciate any input! Thanks!

I am in a similar situation and I explained the entire thing to my top choice. The admissions director told me that they understand this type of thing occurs and will make sure the committee knows my circumstances. Just keep calling every once and again to see what your top choice has to say and wait it out until the very last minute. Even if you lose the deposit on the apartment, its only a few hundred dollars in a very expensive process. Just dont call too often that you are irritating :):luck: :)