Waitlisted at Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pewl

The Dude Abides
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else call Wayne State today to find out that you're on the alternates list?

I was wondering if any of you knew how their waitlist works? i called and they said that about half the people on the waitlist typically get accepted. Anyone else know?

Members don't see this ad.

Pewl said:
Did anyone else call Wayne State today to find out that you're on the alternates list?

I was wondering if any of you knew how their waitlist works? i called and they said that about half the people on the waitlist typically get accepted. Anyone else know?

Heh, I could have called Wayne State but opted not to, instead prefer getting the letter in the mail.

Now, Wayne State will probably offer acceptances to 600 people this year (their class size is going up to 300), and the way they structure their acceptances is that everybody is re-evaluated every month, not just those who interviewed for that month.

So getting waitlisted in November might mean you get accepted in December.

I would totally not lose hope yet.

Yeah I got on the waitlist too. I was really really surprised!! My stats were wayyy above their average >3.9 G.P.A and a 32 MCAT and i'm an MI resident. Also I was getting positive feedback from my interviewer. Hmmmmm......very disappointing, I just wonder who's filling up the 300 spots then!

Members don't see this ad :)
Isis33 said:
Yeah I got on the waitlist too. I was really really surprised!! My stats were wayyy above their average >3.9 G.P.A and a 32 MCAT and i'm an MI resident. Also I was getting positive feedback from my interviewer. Hmmmmm......very disappointing, I just wonder who's filling up the 300 spots then!

You and me are in the same boat. My stats are identical to yours, and I am also a MI resident. I interviewed there in September, and am still on their waitlist. Im glad to see other people are in the same boat as me, hopefully we both get in. It is my first choice.

Hey guys, 3.96GPA, 34R MCAT, called today, and ALTERNATE LIST!!! (Out of state resident though) WTF, mate!? :p I thought I did really well on the interview too! Does indeed make you wonder who's getting acceptances. Anyone get accepted today? This does not bode well for me; what chance do I have of getting into OSU (where I also interviewed that same week) if even WSU won't let me in? (No offence to WSU :p ).

Wow...well I'm glad I didn't call then. Just would have depressed me. I'll just wait for my waitlist / alternate list snail mail I'll get next week.

i got accepted

in state. Lower numbers than you messcherschmitt's. With your scores, you will get in somewhere great though. Don't doubt it for a second.

I was under the impression that once you are on the waitlist your ass is waiting until May 15 when people start turning down acceptances. Is Wayne State's policy different? Is each person who is waitlisted re-reviewed every single time before an offer day?

Waitlisted here too. And I heard the same about the fact that they re-review the folks on their waitlist every month, though I cannot say that for a fact. Oh well, I'm at least happy that I still have a chance.

rwk66 said:
Waitlisted here too. And I heard the same about the fact that they re-review the folks on their waitlist every month, though I cannot say that for a fact. Oh well, I'm at least happy that I still have a chance.

My interviewer told me that every month they admit the top 1/7 of their interviewers. So if you didn't make the cut the first month, you might make it the next month.

This is actually good because the great candidates interview within the first few months and the lesser candidates interview in the waning months. So if there are 50 great applicants in November and they can only admit 45, then the remaining 5 might get an offer in December.

a third of applicants who interviewed this cycle got accepted but i heard as the year progresses the applicants get less competitive so your chances go up

i was waitlisted there in october. and got into upitt last week. could care less at this point.

I called the admissions office and they said not to send any additional materials at this point in time, if you're on the waitlist. She said supplemental materials right now will not help.

Can anyone verify this?