waitlisted by Stanford

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any idea how many people Stanford accepts off its waitlist...

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
very few. some years none.

Street Philosopher is right-very few. They actually have an alternate list, which they accept first before going to the waitlist, and it is only about 10 people or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a difference between the waitlist and alternate list for Stanford?

Alternate list has about 10 people, who get in the following year if not this cycle. Wait list is for the rest, unlikely to get it off of it, from what I hear.

I got the "hold category" (aka waitlist) letter a few weeks after my interview. I was a little upset to be waitlisted, but now that I know there's an alternate list that comes first before the waitlist, and that few people , if any, are taken off the hold list, I'm furious. Why string people along if there's almost no chance of acceptance?

And why is it necessary in the first place to have two lists?!?! Why not just put people they want to accept, but aren't sure they'll have room for, on the alternate list, and reject the others?

I do not think they determine the 10 alternates until April or May. They send you a letter if you are one of them, from what I remember them saying...

Waitlist still sucks. Hopefully you'll get the alternate thing...