blah12346497

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Is it appropriate to call the admissions office to ask why I was wait listed and what I can do in the future to get accepted to this school?

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You were wait listed with out an interview??

If with an interview, then it's your interview skills. It can't be stats...people with the best stats get to bat leadoff.

It's way to early in the cycle and you should wait until that waitlist turns either into an accept, or a reject.

Is it appropriate to call the admissions office to ask why I was wait listed and what I can do in the future to get accepted to this school?

OP
B

blah12346497

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
Status
I was wait listed after the interview. Sorry for the miscommunication. There was a question that did throw me off and I blanked out. What can I do to be better at interviewing? I wasn't nervous at all and I know my application pretty well. I have done two mock interviews and try my best to prepare for interviews by researching the school thoroughly. I have 2 more interviews coming up and my confidence has decreased dramatically.

Last edited:

Dr. Death

2+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2015
I also felt poorly about my first interview. Before my next one I am going to do a mock interview or two and record myself so I can adapt accordingly.

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am of the mindset that the school puts students on the waiting lists mostly because they liked the student but maybe there was something going on between that student and one of the interviewers.

Lets face the cold hard reality, the interview is the most biased part of the entire admissions process, its the part that is actually mostly out of your control. People make a judgment about you often based upon their first impression of you which is often your appearance, I even heard this discussed at the MD school where I received my undergraduate degree. Maybe you made a positive impression with one of the interviewers on the panel but not the other, usually at most schools, there are three people.

Its your call if you want to ask them why you were wait listed.

OP
B

blah12346497

5+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2014
Status
I contacted them. Hopefully I'll get a clear cut answer. I want to know why so I can improve. Being kept in the dark about this is the worst part.

yanks26dmb

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
For what's it worth i was put on two wait lists last year and got in off both.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Are you still in school? If so, seek out the career center. They should be able to prepare you for interviews.

Get some friends or acquaintances and give them the link for the interview feedback section of SDN. Have them develop a question bank and then interview you.

If you know anyone in an HR office, seek them out for interview advice.

The first interview is over. Put it behind you like a poor exam, and look forward to the next one.

I was wait listed after the interview. Sorry for the miscommunication. There was a question that did throw me off and I blanked out. What can I do to be better at interviewing? I wasn't nervous at all and I know my application pretty well. I have done two mock interviews and try my best to prepare for interviews by researching the school thoroughly. I have 2 more interviews coming up and my confidence has decreased dramatically.