waitlisted..how should i make app better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teenie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got waitlisted at all the schools I applied to except one (rejected). I turned in my app in August and interviewed at 2 schools in Nov and one in Feb. I am a non traditional student. I served 4 years in the Navy after high school and am married with a 7 year old.

My cGPA is 3.94
My sGPA is 3.90

My MCAT is low
ps - 8
vr -10
bs - 10

No research exp.
No publications
Volunteered - 6 months at Vol FD with EMTs
Medical Assistant/Technician at pediatric office - 8 months
Awards- Deans list for each sem.

Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to gain research exp.? I see these profiles of these young kids with 3 years research and 2nd author publications and am dumbfounded. How do you find these opportunities??

Members don't see this ad.

Your high GPA should have balanced out your low MCAT score. Your military service would be considered a strong EC considering the leadership opportunities gnerally offered. Working in a peds office with patient contact is good clinical experience, but it was only 8 months in duration (most have a year and a half when they apply). The FD volunteering would be looked at as community service and EMT shadowing, and again was of brief duration (most have a year and a half of community service). I see no physician shadowing which is considered very important by many med schools.

Now that it's a year later, presumably you've improved these lacking aspects of your application. Did you list anything under sports, the Arts, hobbies, etc to make yourself a well-rounded, interesting person? If you've read these forums much, you know you need to apply in early June, especially if your application isn't optimal. Unless you plan to sit out a year, I see no point in starting a research experience that would not be on your application.

When you reapply, you might consider adding some DO schools to your list to improve your chances of success.

most people find research through their undergrad university, thats how i did it. As for what you should do, you lack long term clinical experience and just overall clinical experience which could have hurt you. your mcat obviously is weak and should warrant a retake, though its not the end of the world if you dont. If you just did more clinical, retook the mcat, and possibly got some research (in that order) I think you would be a strong applicant with your military and other backround.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't actually spent a full day shadowing any of the doctors that I work for but they often allow me to observe when there is something unusual at the office. They also show me a lot of the usual things such as looking in a kids ear to determine if they have an ear infection. Can I somehow count that as shadowing or do I have to commit a full day to it?
I also plan on continuing working at the pediatric office so by the time interviews roll around again I will have around 14 months of clinical experience so that should definitely be a plus from last year.
I also am unsure what type of stuff is appropriate to include in arts, hobbies, and sports. I haven't participated in sports since I was 14 (which was too long ago to include) unless you count me taking my son to t -ball. I used to like going to the gun range and actually worked at one for 3 years but I don't know if that is the type of info med schools are looking for.

It would be best if you shadow some physicians of varying specialties (2-3) for 8+ hours (up to forty) by following them on hospital rounds, sitting in the room throughout a clinical visit, watching them do paperwork or surgery, and listening to their phone calls.

There may be things you do with your son that could be considered as volunteerism. Do you coach his T-ball team, help at cub scouts, volunteer in his daycare setting? You'll get ideas about hobbies from clicking the MDAPPS link you'll find under many member's avatars (like Elijah's above).

Though you do have the benefit of being a non-trad with military experience, you are overall lacking in many ECs and have limited volunteer experience. Not having research can be overlooked (I didn't have any) but I also had substantial volunteer and work activities.

Are you adverse to applying to DO programs? Unfortunately your lower MCAT despite a high GPA will cause a lot of problems but I think you'd be a great fit for solid DO programs like PCOM or maybe Western (don't know your state of residence/their requirements)...

Your MCAT is not that bad, but you might get screened out of some schools. I wouldn't retake it. I agree that your lack of ECs might be hurting you, ADCOMMs want to see that you are serious about medicine, and < 1 year of experiences when you applied last time might not have convinced them. You're prior service, have you thought about USUHS? Thanks for serving.

Continue your volunteering. Personally, I'd retake the MCAT, but it's up to you.

Apply very broadly to 20-25 schools and some DO schools.

Thanks for all the advice. I have already started working on some things. I am going to shadow a pediatrician on Friday and hopefully a general surgeon soon. I haven't gotten any negative comments from the schools that I applied to about my MCAT. The advice they have given me is to work on getting more experience and to not worry about the MCAT until my 3 years is up. Of course I only applied to 4 schools this year. I stuck with my state schools (VA) and then USUHS. They all mentioned that I was a little late applying and to get in early next year. Of course I am still waitlisted at 3 of them so my fingers are still crossed for this year.