MD & DO Waitlisted, re-apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleDrew23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was hoping to get some guidance on my situation. I’m a current applicant this cycle and have since interviewed at 3 DO schools. Received a waitlist for 2, and waiting on a decision for the last one.

My stats:

MCAT: 505

Undergrad cGPA: 3.05
Undergrad sGPA: 2.83 (AACOMAS calculated)

Graduate cGPA: 3.88
Graduate sGPA: 3.8 (AACOMAS calculated)

cGPA: 3.21
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.08
These include my undergrad and 32 credits of my 40 credit hard science graduate program (in my last semester currently). My gpa in the program currently is 3.88, and sGPA is 3.8.

Last 120 credits cGPA: 3.37, sGPA: 3.35

Extracurriculars:
Research: About 1000 hours research experience (mix of medical, biochemical, and non-medical), no pubs. One accepted poster.
Volunteer: Over 2,300 hours, ranging from healthcare and mentorship, to consulting and community work.
Clinical: Over 2,800 hours direct clinical experience. Half as an intern, other half as a medical assistant in a subspecialty.
Shadowing: 25 hours shadowing in rural primary care.
LOR’s: 4 from graduate faculty, 1 from MD preceptor, 1 from DO.

I have also owned my own business and tutored STEM for several years. Graduated undergrad in 2017, finishing grad school in 2021 at a Top university.

Since applying, I have worked on a few case reports, had an accepted poster, and continued a couple of the volunteer experiences I mentioned above. As well as still working part-time as an MA. I can also get a LOR from doctors I work with as an MA.

How am I looking? What are my chances regarding the waitlists and what exactly should I plan for next? Not sure how this cycle will turn out for me, so I am just considering all options.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Faha I applied to 34 DO schools this cycle. Except for Texas and the newest schools. Is it ok to reapply without any significant changes?

@Faha I applied to 34 DO schools this cycle. Except for Texas and the newest schools. Is it ok to reapply without any significant changes?
Yes, your ECs are good and your MCAT of 505 is competitive for most DO schools. Include all the newer schools (including Noorda) if you reapply.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, your ECs are good and your MCAT of 505 is competitive for most DO schools. Include all the newer schools (including Noorda) if you reapply.

Why would you expect that OP would have a more fortunate outcome next time without any significant changes? Would you not expect him/her to face the same hurdles in the next cycle as he/she did this cycle?

For students I advise in similar situations, I direct them to read this AAMC page as a starting point. As reflected by the quotations from the deans/director of admissions, it is important to take a step back and determine why the outcome of an application was unfortunate rather than reflexively just reapplying. The highlighted portion in the quotation below is a well worded consideration that I think all potential reapplicants should read.
1615003716250.png

Regarding OP's specific situation, I agree that the hours he/she has acquired during his EC work are very impressive. I honestly am in disbelief at how much time he/she has put in as it is significantly more than the average applicant has which suggests that he/she has many unique experiences. Making a few presumptions based on this, OP is likely wise enough to have sought feedback to perfect his/her personal statement and did adequate interview preparation so those likely would not be the issue. His/her MCAT is within range for many DO schools so that is also not the issue. With all the aforementioned being good, there must be a different concern that none of the above has offset.

This suggests that his/her GPA is the underlying problem. Unfortunately, for the programs I familiar with, they do not put much weight on graduate GPA as these tend to be inflated; instead they put much more emphasis on undergraduate GPA. If OP was a person that I was advising, I would tell them to improve this before attempting to apply again. The often misattributed Einstein quotation that I think fits aptly in these cases is: "Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results." I believe it is wiser to address your weakness rather than simply apply again - this would give you the best chance to avoid having a repeat experience of what is happening now.

That being said, all of the above only applies in the worst case scenario. OP is currently sitting on two waitlists and one TBD. Odds are that at least one of these is converted to an acceptance. However, it is important not to count your chickens before they hatch - i.e. you currently are not sitting on an acceptance. And because you currently do not have an acceptance in hand, you need to make plans as if you will not get one just to make sure you are not caught off guard in the end.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1615001752659.png
    1615001752659.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I greatly appreciate everyones input! I was also wondering if you guys have any advice regarding letters of intent/interest, and how to decide which to send an interest or intent letter. Lastly, from now until June, is there anything you might recommend I do to bolster my application in case of no acceptances? @Faha @Goro @TheLegendaryVitaminY

I greatly appreciate everyones input! I was also wondering if you guys have any advice regarding letters of intent/interest, and how to decide which to send an interest or intent letter. Lastly, from now until June, is there anything you might recommend I do to bolster my application in case of no acceptances? @Faha @Goro @TheLegendaryVitaminY
Because your ECs are stellar, simply do what you love and love what you do.

And work on interview skills.

An MCAT retake might help.

@Goro @Faha I had few additional questions. What is the consensus on letters of intent or interest? In regards to the 3 schools I have interviewed at, how should I approach assigning which school gets the intent letter, and should the other two get interest letters?

@Goro @Faha I had few additional questions. What is the consensus on letters of intent or interest? In regards to the 3 schools I have interviewed at, how should I approach assigning which school gets the intent letter, and should the other two get interest letters?
I'm of the opinion that unless you're dealing with needy schools (or those that like seeing applicants grovel), Admissions Deans treat LOIs are lies.

Letters of interest are even more worthless in my eyes. This isn't like trying to convince someone that "I'm interested in going to the prom with you". They know you're interested since you sent them your app and interviewed with them.

If you have to, simply have to send an intent letter, send it tot he school to which you want to go to the most.

But that fact you can't figure that one out kinda proves my points, doesn't it?