Waitlisted with no acceptances - when to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm on 6 waitlists with no acceptances....I'm trying to decide when to reapply...or whether I should try my hand at edp.

Anyone in the same boat...if so when do you plan on submitting AMCAS for the next cycle.

THanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your shoes last year. I was practically told by the dean, I would get off the waitlist and no one called me off. So I had to take a year off. and what sucks is if you mcat is bad, you don't have much time to study for the august mcat to apply again this year. my advice, if mcat is your problem. start studying for it right now. if not , start to reapply right now.

good luck

LUBDUBB said:
So I'm on 6 waitlists with no acceptances....I'm trying to decide when to reapply...or whether I should try my hand at edp.

Anyone in the same boat...if so when do you plan on submitting AMCAS for the next cycle.

THanks

If you didn't get in last cycle I wouldn't try EDP this cycle. I would aim for getting your AMCAS in mid-late July. This allows you to get it in well before August MCATers while still buying time. 6 waitlists is pretty good. Which schools are they and have you asked where you stand at them?

Members don't see this ad :)
LUBDUBB said:

THanks
6 is a lot of waitlists to be on. Start calling the schools! Send them letters daily! Send them emails! Do something!

Thanks for the replies guys....

I'm at a 3.52/3.52 with a 9,11,10 mcat and strong clinical experience. I applied in late june last year and got six interviews in sept,oct,nov,jan, mar all resulting in 6 waitlists (EVMS, VCU, Cincy, SLU, DREXEL, Tulane). All the waitlists seem to be moving REALLY slow this year. Really sux.

LUBDUBB said:
Thanks for the replies guys....

I'm at a 3.52/3.52 with a 9,11,10 mcat and strong clinical experience. I applied in late june last year and got six interviews in sept,oct,nov,jan, mar all resulting in 6 waitlists (EVMS, VCU, Cincy, SLU, DREXEL, Tulane). All the waitlists seem to be moving REALLY slow this year. Really sux.

I haven't applied to med school yet, but if I were in your shoes I would definitely start trying to get in touch with every one of these schools on a regular basis and make it seem as though you are most interested in attending every one of them. My friend was in the same boat last year and got in about 2 - 3 weeks before classes started. He had some references call up the school to tell adcom how interested he was in that particular school. Be optimistic, he was only waitlisted at 1 and got in that late. You have a good shot still.

LUBDUBB said:

THanks

I'm in the same boat- 7 waitlists and still a big fat zero in the acceptance category. Everyone tells me that I'm bound to get in somewhere, but it's mid-June and I can't hold my breath in anticipation anymore. I've done the whole call/e-mail/letter/updated grades thing too :mad:

Anyway, right now I am filling out the AMCAS again and I'd like to submit it in a week or two. I would suggest doing it ASAP - even if you take the August MCAT it's be nice to get the app out of the way and have a nice chunk of study time.

Good luck. There are probably plenty of people sharing your WL pain (and mine).

mikester said:
I'm in the same boat- 7 waitlists and still a big fat zero in the acceptance category. Everyone tells me that I'm bound to get in somewhere, but it's mid-June and I can't hold my breath in anticipation anymore. I've done the whole call/e-mail/letter/updated grades thing too :mad:

Anyway, right now I am filling out the AMCAS again and I'd like to submit it in a week or two. I would suggest doing it ASAP - even if you take the August MCAT it's be nice to get the app out of the way and have a nice chunk of study time.

Good luck. There are probably plenty of people sharing your WL pain (and mine).

What I'm thinking of doing is submitting AMCAS straight away to all of the schools for which I don't sit on a wait list. Then, when it is truly obvious that I'm not admitted anywhere, I'll submit to those schools again. With AMCAS, you don't have to choose all your schools at once.

PhotoMD said:
What I'm thinking of doing is submitting AMCAS straight away to all of the schools for which I don't sit on a wait list. Then, when it is truly obvious that I'm not admitted anywhere, I'll submit to those schools again. With AMCAS, you don't have to choose all your schools at once.
I'm in the same boat, but only 3 wait lists. Didn't AMCAS send a list of students and where they are accepted to the schools? I don't think it would matter if you reapply this summer, since they already know. Anyone know for sure?????

Aim for the fourth of July.
Submit it before 7/15 at the latest.

I'm in the same boat, 5 waitlists, have called, emailed, sweet-talked...nothing can make people drop places. Its an agonizing process! This is my second time applying though, so I'm not going to go through the Amcas thing again this time. Its so much time and money for a random admissions process like this one!

Mary2009 said:
I'm in the same boat, 5 waitlists, have called, emailed, sweet-talked...nothing can make people drop places. Its an agonizing process! This is my second time applying though, so I'm not going to go through the Amcas thing again this time. Its so much time and money for a random admissions process like this one!

Are you at least considering D.O. schools this time? I couldn't imagine spending more than 3 years of my life just applying to medical schools.

I'll be rooting for you guys!

Mary2009 said:

Geez Mary I hope you get in, especially to Roch.

Try sending in new recommendation letters, and try sending in a letter of intent to one school that you REALLY want to go to - one you'd be happiest with.

I applied for 3 years in a row (no interviews the first 2 times), so I really hope you don't have to go through this process again.

Also, this year I got 6 interviews, 3 acceptances, 3 waitlists - after taking the August MCAT and after my app wasn't complete till November. So if you do have to reapply, it's okay to wait till July, or even August, and you will still have a decent chance. And maybe consider taking the MCAT again if you feel your score is low. My score on the August MCAT was a 34, and I think that may have been a big reason I got in even with late apps.

Try try try, don't give up hope.

Plus, the more energy you put into trying your best, the less energy you'll have to put into agonizing over waitlists. So just keep the motivation going.

I am also wailisted with no acceptances yet, but given up hope just yet. I was also thinking about the EDP to the schools I am waitlisted at, but it sounds like you all would advise against that, I just figured maybe since we were waitlisted there they would have mercy on us and let us in early for the following year, perphaps not though. Anyway, from prevoius years it seems like the waitlist activity really is between now and the mid of July, so like all of you I have started to reapply and will hopefully submit by July. It just cost so much, so I didn't want to spend money unnecessarily if I could still get accepted this year. I think I might retake the MCAT, what do you all think I have a 28?

Start contacting the schools frequently. I was waitlisted at my first choice. I called, set up a phone interview with the Dean of Admissions. A couple of weeks later I did the same thing, only to find out I have been accepted. I was told by the Dean during that phone call, one reason I was chosen over 4-5 other candidates was because I showed more interest in the school. 6 waitlists is not bad. Be persistent contacting the schools and showing your interest in the program. I agree with an above poster, go ahead and begin filling out the AMCAS. If you do submit your AMCAS, the earlier the better. Good luck.

submitting amcas w/ 12 schools selected is around 500 dollars. That 500 dollars would be crucial when you have to move across the country after being accepted off the waitlist 30 days before school starts.

everybody with waitlists and no acceptances...hang in there!!! :luck: :love: i know how agonizing it can be not having an acceptance in your hands...

i would say call the schools and prepare to reapply and the same time....get your PS ready, call profs for LORs, fill in amcas again, so that when its time to hit submit, all you have to do is click the button. also, even if you've submitted amcas, and a school calls you in july/aug, that money you sent to amcas is less than if you had to do all the secondaries fees as well, so dont feel too bad about it....you'll make it up in 4 years!

indo said:
submitting amcas w/ 12 schools selected is around 500 dollars. That 500 dollars would be crucial when you have to move across the country after being accepted off the waitlist 30 days before school starts.

That $500 will be a drop in the bucket compared to the overwhelming amount of debt you will have after 4 years of med school.

If I am in this situation next year, I would like to have my application ready to go by the first week of July.

Do you have any feedback as to your placement on the waitlists? I'm on 7 right now, so I know what you're feeling (EVMS, Drexel, Temple, NYMC, MCO, Wake, UNC). I'm still trying to be hopeful about this year's chances, and this is my second year applying, so I really really don't want to AMCAS it again. I think i'll wait until mid-late July before re-submitting it. That way, you'll still end up submitting your secondaries way before Aug. MCAT takers get their scores back. Good luck...

I think you should be patient and wait it out. Make an arbirtray date of no return like let's say July 22nd and work out a strategy on how to hound the adcoms in knowing you really want it bad.

The schools you mentioned have significant movement- SLU, Drexel especially- call, find any ways you can show you are interested. Devote all your energies into this because 7 waitlists is a good number to be on. Best luck