Waitlisters Unite!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BaronVonZ

The -$200,000 man
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too good to throw out, not good enough to get in? Well misery loves company, and we'll need to stick together to maintain our sanity until May 15th+.

Any fellow waitlistees slowly going mental out there? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

I've collected 2 waitlists so far here. Isn't waiting great?!

Members don't see this ad :)
5 WL here... luckily I have a few acceptances that keep me sane however some of the waitlist schools are my absolute top picks.. aahh!!

I'm waitlisted at my top choice with no acceptances right now.

This particular school does not hand out any more than 135 acceptances all season, so their waitlist is one of the most active around.

My chances are probably good, but it's stressful, to say the least. The less I think about it, the better off I am.

A few small pools, but silence from the rest. I didn't get my committee letter until the end of September, so I was complete later than most. I'm hoping for a couple more interviews. I know some schools are still sending them out.

I am on an insane number of waitlists. I have several acceptances as well so I can't complain, but waitlisted at my top 2-3 choices and have yet to hear from a couple of schools. So far only 1 (soft) rejection post-interview so I'm not really sure what to take away from this.

I am on an insane number of waitlists. I have several acceptances as well so I can't complain, but waitlisted at my top 2-3 choices and have yet to hear from a couple of schools. So far only 1 (soft) rejection post-interview so I'm not really sure what to take away from this.

I say you should be proud of yourself. Nice job having a way more successful application cycle this year, as opposed to last year.

With the knowledge I have now (SDN helps), I feel I would definitely have a more successful reapplication cycle, should it become necessary.

I say you should be proud of yourself. Nice job having a way more successful application cycle this year, as opposed to last year.

With the knowledge I have now (SDN helps), I feel I would definitely have a more successful reapplication cycle, should it become necessary.
Thanks. I attribute a lot of my success this cycle to someone who had a similar experience a year before me. High stats, interviewed at a few schools the first time, and then reapplied with a ton of invites. I communicated with him a fair amount and it was definitely reassuring that being a reapp isn't that big of a red flag. I also think a lot of little things helped moreso than just having high stats.
I see you're a Buffalo local and you were waitlisted there. I think you're in a pretty good position. It's not like other schools where the waitlist has 500 people for 20 spots. I hope Mr. Rosso has some good news for you soon. :)

Thanks. I attribute a lot of my success this cycle to someone who had a similar experience a year before me. High stats, interviewed at a few schools the first time, and then reapplied with a ton of invites. I communicated with him a fair amount and it was definitely reassuring that being a reapp isn't that big of a red flag. I also think a lot of little things helped moreso than just having high stats.
I see you're a Buffalo local and you were waitlisted there. I think you're in a pretty good position. It's not like other schools where the waitlist has 500 people for 20 spots. I hope Mr. Rosso has some good news for you soon. :)

Thanks! I hope you are right. I still can't believe I even got the interview at UB, since that is where I really want to go. Every single med student I know at UB got in off the waitlist, except for one early assurance applicant, but that doesn't matter. I even know someone that got in from the bottom-third of the waitlist in late June.

One of these med students told me that my chances should be decent, but don't expect any activity until March or April, which is the norm. The hard part is waiting.

waitlisted at my dream school, zero other interviews. But the waitlist I am on has some fair movement to it, so I'm still hopeful.. Good luck all :)...hopefully we all hear good news, preferably sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

hey wanderer what schools have you heard that have 500 people for 20 spots for example? just pretty curious, ha it kinda scares me. if you want you can PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey wanderer what schools have you heard that have 500 people for 20 spots for example? just pretty curious, ha it kinda scares me. if you want you can PM me.
Truth is I made up those numbers. Some schools don't reject post interview, but don't have a lot of waitlist movement either, so you can try to guess the numbers. I think Vanderbilt's waitlist for example is insanely large.

I believe Hopkins is one of those death WL simply because at the interview they said the last few years they have only accepted 2 people each year from the waitlist. I don't think many people are giving up spots at the chance of going to Hopkins. At least the Pitt waitlist looks good. Good luck to you all and wanderer def. know how it feels to be WL at the top picks... unfortunately it sort of marginalizes the acceptances at the other places, I don't mean to sound bratty but that is just how I feel. I am still thankful to know I am going somewhere.

I'm pretty much on a waitlist at my only option...If only I got into the January batch! I could drop all my classes and use that money to go to the Bahamas. :thumbup:

I'm pretty much on a waitlist at my only option...If only I got into the January batch! I could drop all my classes and use that money to go to the Bahamas. :thumbup:

Not really, you would only be given preliminary acceptance, the school would still want to see that you finished the semester with good grades etc. although if you did not put that you were taking classes in your application then you essentially would get to do that. Ahhh the bahamas, what a dream as I sit in a fluorescent-lit claustrophobia inducing lab.

Not really, you would only be given preliminary acceptance, the school would still want to see that you finished the semester with good grades etc. although if you did not put that you were taking classes in your application then you essentially would get to do that. Ahhh the bahamas, what a dream as I sit in a fluorescent-lit claustrophobia inducing lab.

Well I've already graduated; these classes are just GPA enhancers. Uncertainty: :scared: Bahamas: :cool:

You're not talking about getting deferred at BU, are you? Deferment there is hardly a waitlist.... now the acceptable pool at UCSD, THAT is a waitlist. Odds just good enough that you cant give up hope, just bad enough that you're still very unlikely to get in :confused:

You're not talking about getting deferred at BU, are you? Deferment there is hardly a waitlist.... now the acceptable pool at UCSD, THAT is a waitlist. Odds just good enough that you cant give up hope, just bad enough that you're still very unlikely to get in :confused:

I'd say at a good amount of schools, if you're on the waitlist you have around 50/50 chance of getting in?

I'd say at a good amount of schools, if you're on the waitlist you have around 50/50 chance of getting in?
Only HPAs and a few standard waitlists are that high. Most are much lower.

It's something much more strange. Accept When Place Available list at Southern Illinois. They say that "most" people get in off of it but really it's about 70-80% and you don't know your approximate position on the list until April. Interviewed in November. :sleep:

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. I've also been waitlisted at my top pick (which is apparently the kiss of death). Anyways here's hoping to some major movement for all our waitlists!

/Also does anyone know what schools have waitlists that move earlier than May?

Hang in there guys.

I was waitlisted at my current school, got in in early July... 4 years later, I'm finishing up residency interviews and waiting for match day.

It sucks now, but a positive attitude will work wonders. Good luck! :luck:

I've noticed a trend that I wish I could have predicted back in June. I tried to make a list of schools with a good amount of diversity in perceived selectivity. So far, with the exception of my state public school, the schools which have offered me interviews are those which I had thought were less likely to interview me than most of the schools that have so far been silent. It could be an issue that I selected schools with general area preferences and / or too many applicants, but i can't help but wonder if I would have had more interview offers if I had added more schools like Northwestern, Emory, Vanderbilt, NYU, Pritzker, etc in place of some of the others on my list. What do you guys think?

I'm still waiting to hear from a couple schools post interview, and really hoping Pitt shows the waitlist some love this Spring. :xf: I wish the best of luck to all my waitlisted comrades.

JW would it be bad to tell the school, that their waitlist is the only option for this cycle?

Or is that too desperate?

JW would it be bad to tell the school, that their waitlist is the only option for this cycle?

I'm in the same position, but I say bad idea. Schools won't accept you based on the sympathy card. Be confident, sell yourself well and why you'd be a good fit, and hope for the best

I'm on the other side of this - got three waitlists last year, no accepts. Sucks, but you know, if it doesn't happen for you, you pick yourself up and do it again. I am getting ready to apply again this year, just took my MCAT on Saturday, raring to go!

Good luck to you all- I know how much this sucks. But keep your eyes on the prize - ultimately it doesn't matter if you're an attending in 12 years or 13 years :)

Or try saying that if they do accept you off the waitlist, then you will definitely attend... That's basically saying the same message, but without giving away that it's your only option. It's all in the delivery :cool:

2 waitlists here, at my top 2 choices no less. Luckily have an acceptance in my back pocket, but I really wanna get in off one of them. I'm hoping that there's a good chance (50/50?) of getting into at least one of the waitlisted schools, I don't care which!! :xf:

Three waitlists, one my top choice. :(