waitlists, acceptances, and planning where to live

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatintheworld?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have experienced this in past years or are going through this now...

How did you deal with being accepted to one school and waitlisted at 2 others and finding a place to live? At what point do you stop waiting and sign a lease in the area of the school you have the offical acceptance to? And what about finding roommates? I know it's only the end of April, but just thinking about making living arrangements when I don't know for sure where I'll be going is making me nervous! None of my potential schools are near where I live now, so it's not like I can go scout out housing anytime I feel like it.

Members don't see this ad.

At the very least look at your options for all three schools. You may have to start firmly making plans for the acceptance, but opened ended that you could get out of if you needed to. At the waitlists just know what's available, if the admissions office will help you, steer you to what you can do as last minute options.
Regardless it's no fun not having a permanent plan. I can vouch on that one. And it's not just me I have to think about, I have my husband who will also be affected by where I end up. Got to love this process.

If both of your WL schools you would attend over your accept school, then you are indeed in some sort of a predicament. Because, unfortunately you won't know for 100% until you step on campus. However, I think most waitlist movement occurs between May 15 and June 15, so after that you still have about a month to get housing. Usually people will have extra rooms and are looking for a roommate, etc. I am sure you also could scout housing, then just wait to sign a lease until you are for sure.