Waitlists: Emory, Vanderbilt, Case Western, Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't have another med school to settle into....just the aug MCAT and AMCAS in case I have to reapply. I'm holding out on registering and submitting because I can't let go of my high hopes for an acceptance to Case or one of my other waitlisted schools. In the end, I hope I end up wasting a lot of time and money on MCAT and AMCAS...I vow not to be upset about the loss when it means that I'm going to start med school this year! Good luck and I hope someone hears good news this week!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, today is Tuesday...which should mean Case Western admissions committee meetings and _something_ happening. They're like the only school on the planet that hasn't taken anyone off the waiting list yet.

Anyone know how CWRU will contact alternate listers? Phone or snail mail? Since they overbook and there's been no movement.. I'm scared that not enough people have turned them down! Cleveland doesn't REALLY rock.. don't people know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just gave up my spot at case today, so you will have at least one opening, I bet the letter is in the mail to the next person on the waitlist by now.

But Cleveland does rock. If Drew Carry says so then it has to be true, right?

I've heard CWRU does snail mail till July, then calls. But since its so late this time, I'm thinking they may go right for the calls. I hate to keep harrassing the nice woman at the admissions office, so I'm going to hold off on calling. Anyone else?

Originally posted by loyen
But Cleveland does rock. If Drew Carry says so then it has to be true, right?

I've heard CWRU does snail mail till July, then calls. But since its so late this time, I'm thinking they may go right for the calls. I hate to keep harrassing the nice woman at the admissions office, so I'm going to hold off on calling. Anyone else?

I don't want to make myself a nuisance either. Last time I called it was to tell them that frickin' amcas still had me holding two acceptances, even though I'd let go of all but one weeks before the deadline. I was afraid that they wouldn't want to accept me off the list because of it. This is the best school for me because I get to stay in my hometown.

Just making sure I did my part, I called CWRU this morning and they told me there had been no waiting list movement yet this year. "It has been very slow," they say. They thought perhaps I could call back in a week or two.

Called CWRU today and... they said they will snail mail acceptances. I was also told that they have not gotten to the waitlist yet.. things are at a "stand still"

To me, the chances of spots opening up this late seem very very slim.

sigh,
Luw

Just got a call from Linda 15 minutes ago.. I'm going to Pitt!

hey batman...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats!

Did you get the email from Linda re interest in a spot at Pitt prior to acceptance? My friend got that, so I'm wondering if you guys are on a special list.

Again, congrats!

Yeah I got the email lats Monday; good luck guys

Originally posted by xaelia
Just making sure I did my part, I called CWRU this morning and they told me there had been no waiting list movement yet this year. "It has been very slow," they say. They thought perhaps I could call back in a week or two.

Poop.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Vanderbilt's waitlist has been moving since those letters were sent out? i called the admissions office today and they gave me a very vague answer and basically told me to keep sending update letters. I hate this waiting game!

does anyone know if the Vanderbilt waitlist has been moving since those letters were sent out?? i called the admissions office today and they gave me a pretty vague answer.

Originally posted by daisygirl425
does anyone know if the Vanderbilt waitlist has been moving since those letters were sent out?? i called the admissions office today and they gave me a pretty vague answer.

What did they say? "It's possible that some time in the future we'll be informing some students on the waitlist, using either phone, mail or email, of a potential opening in the class of 2007?"

Yet another CWRU call this week...

Let's see if I can quote this..
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we have not made any alternate list offers yet. In fact, the class is still overbooked. So unless something drastic happens, I'm sorry to say that we will not be making any offers this year."

Dammit. I'm assuming that we're not going to hear anything from them in the form of rejection letter/easy let down until class starts, but it looks like if they make any offers at all it will be last minute withdrawls right before classes start. Dammit again.

Loyen, thanks for calling. Although I am disappointed that I can't stay in Cleveland, at least now I can be appropriately excited about going to Pitt. Good luck to anyone who is going to hang on to hope for Case.

random question, but does vanderbilt have snow and how is a car really necessary? i heard from my student host that housing w/in walking distance was difficult to find. (i haven't heard anything from vandy yet so just outta curiousity).

I asked a Vandy student the snow question I think. It doesn't snow very much in Nashville...but this past year was a major exception when the East side was pummeled.

Anyone hear from Vandy? Waitlist movement seems to have stopped moving or something. Has anyone found out how many people are on the 'shorter' waitlist recently?

from a month ago, there was ~300 on vandy's short waitlist.

any updates folks? i tried cotacting them earlier this week but no such luck.

Got rejected from Vandy within days of receiving my acceptance from Pitt.

Haven't heard from Emory at all.

talked to the Dean of CWRU this morning... He said that their class is still overbooked by 5 students. AND that the only way this number is going to shrink, such that they can take from the wait-list, is if there are people in the class that get into another school from the wait-list and choose the other school. So all the people there are committed to Case, but could be waiting to hear from a 'top choice' and choose to leave. Are there 6 people who are in this position, I wish I knew, maybe we can find them on this website? last date to hear from them August 6th... a sad day it will be...

i just contacted vandy and pat sagan says that they've been full w/ 104 students for the past two weeks and that the chances of getting off waitlists is decreasing as the orientation date starts.

a guy that i work with just got the call from pat sagen - he got in. however, he didn't take the spot so hopefully another spot is open!

Another spot should be opening soon at Emory. I am releasing a spot now.

any new word from vandy or pitt? looks like pitt's been contacting people around tuesdays.

Are there any spots left at Pitt?

yo...just wanted to let u guys know that i got an offer from vanderbilt today and will be accepting it. good luck everyone!

Woo-whoo Yogi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Good luck at Vandy!

Originally posted by IntlMD07
Woo-whoo Yogi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Good luck at Vandy!

thanks!

hey, anyone know if vandy's still a-f grading? i heard someone mention in a post earlier that vandy is close to changing to p/f system?

they changed to a pass/fail system for the first year and honors, pass, fail for second

Vandy--class is booked solid with 104 people accepted and approximately 225 people left on the short waitlist.

Emory--class is booked solid with a "small" number of applicants (less than 100-200) being seriously considered on the waitlist. There was apparently some movement within the last two weeks. Two more weeks left before the beginning of orientation, so time is running out.

Pittsburgh--last I checked, 144 people were accepted. I remember seeing somewhere that 147 is approximately the targeted class size, so what's up with the 3 missing acceptees? :confused:

Case--can't help you there because I didn't apply there.

go bye bye now

I'm not sure if this is helpful info, but on the 3rd of July I was contacted by Linda at Pitt with a scholarship offer made vacant by someone leaving to go to UCSF. I'm not sure if this spot has already been given away, but I think there might be one floating around. good luck. cheers.

Pitt Med 2007

Anybody have any new information to share about the waitlist situations at these schools? Anyone know of anybody who got in off the waitlist within the past two weeks?