Waitlists over the years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

person777

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
every year med school in general gets harder to get into; more applicants + higher standards and redesigned MCAT etc. = more competative

as for your situation at least you are getting interviews, but it might be right to assume you could improve something about them

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told at one of the schools I interviewed at that the total population of premeds applying hasn't really changed much since last year. Instead, students are applying to more and more medical schools (i.e. casting a wider net). Hence, schools get a higher number of applicants.

I'd hypothesize then that there would be greater waitlist movement since by Traffic Day (April 30th or something), students would have to reduce their multiple acceptances to 1.

every year med school in general gets harder to get into; more applicants + higher standards and redesigned MCAT etc. = more competative

as for your situation at least you are getting interviews, but it might be right to assume you could improve something about them

Why does a redesigned MCAT make it "more competitive"?

My title is kind of dramatic but I didn't really know how else to phrase it.

Are waitlists getting harder to get off with more applicants applying every year?

Last year I applied and was on two waitlists. One of the schools was overbooked for two years in a row and the other had 0 waitlist movement.

I've also recently gotten waitlisted at another school and they had 0 movement last year so I'm thinking if it will be similar this year.

Is this a trend towards minimal waitlist movement or am I just "lucky?"

Also I recognize this repeated WL is probably due to my interviewing skills. I admit I wasn't very good at it last year but I believe I've drastically improved this year. I know I'm not perfect but I didn't think I was totally awkward either.
This varies from year to year and school by school. It all depends upon what the school is looking for in a Class. For example, if there is a male:female imbalance, then the movement will be skewed towards making up that imbalance.

er, I thought the new MCAT was suppose to be harder.. more material and higher level questions.. maybe i'm wrong..

I never officially took the old MCAT because they switched it half way through my academic career, so I took practice MCATs for both the old and the new.

The old one had more in depth science questions, but also did a horrendous job at tying it in with biology concepts. The chemistry and physics section was just that, chemistry and physics.

I enjoyed the new MCAT much more. It tied in chemistry, physics, etc. in with biology much more.

I do agree though, the information on the new MCAT is broader, but less in depth overall imo. Physics questions on the old MCAT reminded me of a physics exam. On the new MCAT, it was like tying the fundamentals of a physics question with more of a biological spin.

But that's just how I saw it.