Waiver from internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giznut12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently matched at a one year internship position and now was offered a research position which starts in July. Is there anyway that I can get out of the internship year? I am applying to a highly competitive field an would benefit very much from doing to research year and improving my application.

Members don't see this ad.

giznut12 said:
I recently matched at a one year internship position and now was offered a research position which starts in July. Is there anyway that I can get out of the internship year? I am applying to a highly competitive field an would benefit very much from doing to research year and improving my application.

Resign your contract and re-apply in the match the fall before you finish your research fellowship.

and this will not be a match violation? do i have to submit a waiver or do i just refuse to sign the internship contract?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you 'matched' through the NRMP, you have to honor the match result. If you don't and your program reports you to the NRMP you will be:
- excluded from the NRMP for 1-3 years
- have an entry in the AMA database for unprofessional conduct
If you talk to the program and get them to agree to your leaving, you can file for a 'waiver' from the match committment (or if they are agreeable with your reneging on the contract they just won't report you to the NRMP).

If you signed outside of the match, it is between you and the program. If you just signed some sort of 'I accept your job offer' piece of paper, you are in a better position than if you already signed a complete employment contract. It is unlikely that an internship program would take action against you if you tell them 3 months in advance that you won't come, but still weigh the possibility of making enemies in medicine vs the benefit of this research opportunity.

So in other words...i am able to get out of the one year intership? I just think it will help me alot more with a year of research to add to my application when applying the second time around.

Did you get the internship through the match ?

yeah...then the same day i was offered a research fellowship outside of the match.

You have to apply for a waiver from the match committment.

If you read through the FAQ's on the NRMP website, you will notice that your chance of getting a waiver approved is probably very slim. They explicitely state that you cannot waive a match for another "more desirable" position (which I believe will pertain to your case). They are looking for things like a family member gets cancer and you have to waive to take care of them, etc etc. You can try, but IMO (from reading the FAQ's and from talking with people who have tried), I don't think you have great chances.

You can get out, but only if the PD supports you or at least does not actively oppose you.

it also says that if the waiver is declined, you will be banned from any position which starts a year from the denial date, so if i was doing a fellowship i wouldn't start resident within that time period, so i believe that i would be alright.

I would be very careful with this issue. Anytime later on in your career when you apply for licenses and credentials, the medical boards query various databases on your past conduct. It might come back to you.

Check out the list of people who will receive a report if you are found guilty of a match violation:

(1) the applicant's medical school official
(2) the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates if the applicant is a student/graduate of a foreign medical school
(3) the NRMP institutional officials and directors of the programs included in the applicant's final rank order list in the current matching year
(4) the NRMP institutional official and the program director of the program to which the applicant switched (if known)
(5) the party who originally reported the violation
(6) the NRMP Executive Committee
(7) the American Board of Medical Specialties
(8) the applicant's residency program director if the violation occurred in a fellowship match
(9) the Federation of State Medical Boards if the applicant is to be permanently identified as a match violator or has been permanently barred from future NRMP matches
(10) any parties whom the NRMP has determined are relevant to its investigation.

Make sure that you are comfortable with these people potentially receiving a report of your failure to stick to a contract.

Talk to the PD at your internship place. They usually don't care to have a resident who doesn't want to be there. If they don't report you, NRMP won't care.