Wake-- Am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scooter31

'Ello Guv'nah!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
.. or do they no longer have a MD/PhD program? Using the links provded in Neuronix' sticky of links, they dont seem to have any info on the program or the links are bad (on the WFU side).

Anyone? If they do have a program, thoughts? I'm looking at BME or Neuro (like everyone else and their mom it seems) for the graduate work. Thanks for the input, even if it's just to say they no longer have a program.

Members don't see this ad.

scooter31 said:
.. or do they no longer have a MD/PhD program? Using the links provded in Neuronix' sticky of links, they dont seem to have any info on the program or the links are bad (on the WFU side).

Anyone? If they do have a program, thoughts? I'm looking at BME or Neuro (like everyone else and their mom it seems) for the graduate work. Thanks for the input, even if it's just to say they no longer have a program.

Glad you found the link -- the MD-PhD program is alive and well. I just joined the program this year with my first summer lab rotation in Neuro. So far I've been very pleased with Wake -- it is a good fit for me. The quality of life in Winston Salem is much better than at other places I was looking. The stipend is competitive (currently 20,772 and increases by some % each year for inflation) and allowed me to buy a great house that is 5 minutes from the medical center.

Here's another link for more information:
http://www1.wfubmc.edu/PCR/MD+PhD+Program/
I'm lobbying for a more prominent website -- maybe mdphd.wfubmc.edu with plenty of directive links located on the main site.

Members don't see this ad :)
erock said:
Glad you found the link -- the MD-PhD program is alive and well. I just joined the program this year with my first summer lab rotation in Neuro. So far I've been very pleased with Wake -- it is a good fit for me. The quality of life in Winston Salem is much better than at other places I was looking. The stipend is competitive (currently 20,772 and increases by some % each year for inflation) and allowed me to buy a great house that is 5 minutes from the medical center.

Here's another link for more information:
http://www1.wfubmc.edu/PCR/MD+PhD+Program/
I'm lobbying for a more prominent website -- maybe mdphd.wfubmc.edu with plenty of directive links located on the main site.

Do eet, erock! Twas a bit confusing navigating through the webpages; you gotta go through the graduate program website to get to the MD/PhD stuff, which is a bit counter intuitive (at least to me).

Thanks again for the post; I dig the school and the facilities seem pretty good, it's a bummer WFU is always caught in the shadows of the other schools in the area and doesnt get the propers they deserve...

Would love to hear about housing in the area, as IF I get into a CD program, I will be buying a house.

Forgot to add a question to my other reply-

How many a year does WFU take? By the looks of it, they take ~2-3 a year, is that correct?

scooter31 said:
Forgot to add a question to my other reply-

How many a year does WFU take? By the looks of it, they take ~2-3 a year, is that correct?

The program is small compared to others, with a goal of 4/year. 2 are fully funded with tuition support and stipends during medical and graduate school, while the other 2 receive full tuition support but only have stipends during graduate school. Wake does plan to apply for MSTP-funding within the next 2 years, but will maintain the same goal of 4 students a year. At that point, all 4 students will have full funding.

Part of the reason I chose Wake over other schools was the MD-PhD program's small size. I feel there is more access to students at different stages of their training, competition to get into the good labs is low among the MD-PhD students themselves, and faculty think highly of MD-PhD's, recruiting heavily for the few students to join their labs. There are downsides to the small size, though, as when time comes to return to the clinic in MS III and IV few fellow MD-PhD's are going back with you to help cope with the transition.

Sorry about the website being a mess. Whoever maintains it likes to change links without redirecting old ones or at least telling people where the new links are (hence the error when trying to visit the old mdphd site: http://www.wfubmc.edu/pcr/study_mdphd.html). Within the last year or so they started using www1.wfubmc.edu instead of www.wfubmc.edu and screwed up every page under that domain. It isn't hard to pass through links to the new www1 subdomain -- simple addition to the config file for Apache. I have a feeling they are using Windows IIS on their webservers :thumbdown: .