Wake Forest “Experience with those of a different background” question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oregonian19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m working on the last question of my Wake Forest secondary.

It reads:
“Tell us about an experience which has broadened your own worldview or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself.”

I wanted to run my idea by y’all.

I kind of wanted to start the essay by saying that I have grown up in a fairly homogenous environment (white, middle-class suburbia) that did not give me a lot of exposure to diversity.

I would follow this by talking about the citizenship class I volunteer with. The class is mostly composed of Latino students from various backgrounds. But I wanted to talk about how their lives are full of hard work, courage, and persistence for a better life. Specifically, I could discuss how one student works 12 hour days before coming to class or the story of a dangerous border crossing another student had. Then I would finish it by saying that it taught me how unique everyone’s experiences may be and how many different paths lead to the same point (coming to the US, taking the class).

How does that sound as a topic? Worried that it’s a little naive.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's weak and it comes off as a little racist. At no point did you mention how working with "latinos" has shaped who you are or how this experience would makes you into a better healthcare provider.

Can you tie into how you recognized the privilege you have had your whole life and how it inspired you to work this particular group of people (outside of class)? Also don't call them "hardworking" it makes you sound lazy by contrast.

Thank you for your honesty. I did not intend to come across that way at all, so I apologize for doing so.

I have worked with this population previously at a free clinic, so it is not only limited to the class itself. My first thought was talking about the clinic and serving uninsured patients there. From that, I learned that cost and accessibility of care needs to be considered when designing treatment plans. But I already addressed this in my PS and activities section. I was trying to find something different to talk about.

I was going to address my privilege when I wrote this essay. I suppose that wasn’t clear with the brief outline.

I suppose I need to rethink my answer.

I think you can make something work so long as you mention the classroom experience briefly and tie it back to how it pushed you to take XYZ action in the community or in the classroom setting.

I’m no expert, but I was just saying I don’t think you should make the whole essay about how hardworking they are. Everything needs to tie back to you, what you’ve learned from your experience and how it makes you more fit to be a doctor.

That’s just my two cents. Others might chime in and disagree. Good luck this cycle!

Alternatively, I thought of a story from a job I had:
Had a job where I was supposed to work with new students to check their immunization compliance. I kept coming across students who had never had a vaccine in their life. This was usually for religious reasons or personal choice (of the “vaccines cause Autism” variety). While I vehemently disagree with not vaccinating your children, I did not treat the students differently, did not pressure them to get the vaccines. There could have been health, religious, cultural, access to care, etc. reasons which limited their ability to have the vaccines. Learned a lot about health autonomy and respecting different opinions about one’s health.

Is this better at all?

I actually really, really like this. It’s different. It talks about a time you’ve experienced resistance— something that challenged your personal belief system, and the maturity with which you responded to it.

As a future doctor, you will interact with patients. Patients are people, so a lot of them will have personal belief systems that will be in direct conflict with yours. The people you treat won’t always do what you perceive as acting in their best interest. No matter what, as a physician you have to treat these patients with the same compassion and kindness as everyone else, regardless of how self-destructive you perceive their attitude or choices to be.
Well i’m glad that’s a better option!