Wake Forest In the News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon1801

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. .. just wow. This is a complete nightmare scenario.

NC Hospital Reviewing Path Lab Deficiencies

CEO SUMMARY: Discovery of multiple diagnostic errors occurring in an anatomic pathology department triggered a complaint investigation and a 54-page report from the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The report shows that Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center is reviewing more than 9,000 pathology cases to identify incorrect cancer diagnoses. Last month, the medical center found 10 cases of patients in which errors in the pathology lab caused inaccurate diagnoses.

Breaking-Bad-Replica-lawyer-up-license-plate-1.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anybody know more about this situation other than what is said in the article? Is this the case of one individual (who was also the chair) tarnishing the name of an otherwise solid department, or is there a fundamental problem in the department/hospital?

Leave it to academia to complicate things more than they already are for the rest of us who know what we're doing. I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes from time to time, but we have processes in place in our practice to prevent exactly this sort of thing and correct them quickly (i.e. QA of all first time diagnoses-especially breast, routine retrospective review of multiple case types, liberal policy of passing/showing cases around, etc.).

As a side note, if this were a private practice group the hospital would have already dropped them for sure. However, I really don't know how large academic multidisciplinary groups handle things like this though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leave it to academia to complicate things more than they already are for the rest of us who know what we're doing. I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes from time to time, but we have processes in place in our practice to prevent exactly this sort of thing and correct them quickly (i.e. QA of all first time diagnoses-especially breast, routine retrospective review of multiple case types, liberal policy of passing/showing cases around, etc.).

As a side note, if this were a private practice group the hospital would have already dropped them for sure. However, I really don't know how large academic multidisciplinary groups handle things like this though.

Typically go into coverup mode.