wake forest secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiara08

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i just received the secondary from Wake Forest and they ask about the patient that i've had the most impact on. i feel the patient that i had the most impact on is the same patient that i discussed in my PS. is it right to retell this story and perhaps expand upon it a bit, or should i discuss another patient that i also had a large, but lesser, impact on. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

so i just received the secondary from Wake Forest and they ask about the patient that i've had the most impact on. i feel the patient that i had the most impact on is the same patient that i discussed in my PS. is it right to retell this story and perhaps expand upon it a bit, or should i discuss another patient that i also had a large, but lesser, impact on. thanks!
did they e-mail you or mail you something when you passed the screen?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious too. I received an email with a status link from them on 7/12, but it's never worked. How did you get the secondary? Through that link, or in a subsequent email? Thanks.

If you pass the screen, you will receive another email saying:

"Dear Applicant:

Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application. Please use the following link to access the Instructions, the Secondary Application Form, and the Signature Page. Use the following User ID and Password (application number) inserting them at the bottom of the instruction page. (Please type the User ID and Password, do not copy and paste them. Also make sure you type them in exactly as shown with the zeros.)"

And, yes, they will give you another separate link for the secondary.

If you pass the screen, you will receive another email saying:

"Dear Applicant:

Your AMCAS application has been evaluated and we are sending you our secondary application. Please use the following link to access the Instructions, the Secondary Application Form, and the Signature Page. Use the following User ID and Password (application number) inserting them at the bottom of the instruction page. (Please type the User ID and Password, do not copy and paste them. Also make sure you type them in exactly as shown with the zeros.)"

And, yes, they will give you another separate link for the secondary.

Ah, thanks. They're probably waiting for my MCAT score then. Some screeners just use gpa, and some gpa + MCAT. I just didn't know whether that first email with the broken login page was the link to the secondary. Thanks for the clarification.

it doesn't specifically say what "patient", i think it says what "service experience has had the most impact on someone else" or something. but i can't confirm cause now i am having trouble logging back in to my app.

either way, in my opinion i would tell a different story. no use retelling what they will already have, and it may look as though that is the only experience you feel is noteworthy.

Does no follow up e-mail mean you didn't pass the screening?

That would suck, I really like Wake.

Does no follow up e-mail mean you didn't pass the screening?

That would suck, I really like Wake.
they're not going to get to everyone at once.

when they screened me out last time I applied they sent an email very quickly letting me know I had been rejected. no news is sometimes good news.

I would most definitely reiterate something from my PS if it is a true answer for you.
Best of Luck to you all and GO WAKE!!!
Wake Forest School of Medicine 2011

Do they want just one sentence or an actual essay for these questions? Plus the annoying, "you can write something here if you feel like it," type question. Ive left those blank on pritzker and some other one but I feel like I should say something on this one. What are you guys putting in there?

sounds like we're in the same situation! so what are you going to end up doing?... i think i might write about a new patient that i've been following on study this summer..i don't know if i can evaluate the impact ..but it sure has been a two month relationship so far!

I don't like how there's no word or character limit...kinda impossible to figure out what they expect in terms of detail.

I think I'll write about a different patient. I don't want to seem like I've only had like one or two interesting things happen as an undergraduate, cuz that's definitely not true. right now I'm at a VERY rough draft point for this question and i'm at about 300 words and 1500 characters w/o spaces, just to give you an idea of length for me right now. it'll probably get a bit longer. id be interested in hearing how long other ppls responses to this prompt are.

Members don't see this ad :)
by the way, the status check website is now back up and has been updated.

they left me a message saying I will receive their secondary "within a week," since they only send it once a week or something like that.

in an effort to keep related threads consolidated in this very busy forum, please try to remember to post any future questions you might have regarding secondaries here

silly question i suppose, but when they say "service activity", they're referring to volunteer work (medical or otherwise), not paid employment correct? I work at a hospital, and was going to talk about an experience there....but then I'm not sure since they specifically say service activity.

thoughts?

silly question i suppose, but when they say "service activity", they're referring to volunteer work (medical or otherwise), not paid employment correct? I work at a hospital, and was going to talk about an experience there....but then I'm not sure since they specifically say service activity.

thoughts?

I wasn't really sure. I was going to write about a work experience too, but decided to write about a volunteer experience just in case they're picky.

one of my experiences is from working. i think working at a hospital is still "service" even though you are reimbursed. i think whatever is most important to you from your past should be what you right about. any other thoughts on this?

one of my experiences is from working. i think working at a hospital is still "service" even though you are reimbursed. i think whatever is most important to you from your past should be what you right about. any other thoughts on this?
I agree with that, it's still serving others, even if you're paid for it.

What day of the week does WFU send out their secondaries? Tuesday?

mine was sent to me on a Tuesday

In which service activity that you listed on the AMCAS application do you feel made the most impact on someone else?

Does this question only want want to hear about your experience with one specific person?

I was a volunteer employment councilor and mentor with an organization that provides social services to recent immigrants and low-income families. I actually wrote an answer that describes the impact that I had on the individuals that I worked with (i.e. helping them reach their career/employment goals). It's not just in reference to one particular person. Is that okay?

In which service activity that you listed on the AMCAS application do you feel made the most impact on someone else?

Does this question only want want to hear about your experience with one specific person?

I was a volunteer employment councilor and mentor with an organization that provides social services to recent immigrants and low-income families. I actually wrote an answer that describes the impact that I had on the individuals that I worked with (i.e. helping them reach their career/employment goals). It's not just in reference to one particular person. Is that okay?

I would say that that is fine. The question isn't phrased in such a way to suggest that they want a specific anecdote.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I'll keep my response the way it is.

I checked my status today and it said I would be recieving an e-mail with my application status. Does that mean rejected then because they didn't give me a time frame as to when they would send a secondary?

I checked my status today and it said I would be recieving an e-mail with my application status. Does that mean rejected then because they didn't give me a time frame as to when they would send a secondary?

Unfortunately, I think so. A few other people on another thread have the same status, and that's the consensus there.

my status has said the same thing since last Wednesday but I still have not received the secondary. it might get sent today.

Oh no!! Does the "you will be receiving an email.." status really imply that you've been rejected???

Has anyone else not been able to load the application portal? I've tried several times over the course of the last few days and had no luck...

Has anyone else not been able to load the application portal? I've tried several times over the course of the last few days and had no luck...

It was funky earlier today, but it's working now.

To everybody who got that e-mail status, don't panic! It ain't over 'till it's over, and people may be reading too much into it.

what is the general consensus about the length for these? I was thinking around 200 words as that seems to be standard (for schools that set limits) for an essay of this sorts.

thoughts

what is the general consensus about the length for these? I was thinking around 200 words as that seems to be standard (for schools that set limits) for an essay of this sorts.

thoughts

I was around 180 words with the first essay, 100 with the second, and an abysmal 20 with the third. The official word is that there is no word limit, so feel free to write as much or little as you want.

How long does it generally take to add MCAT scores to a file? I got my scores on the 18th, but when I was finally able to log into wake, they said they are waiting to receive my scores...

How long does it generally take to add MCAT scores to a file? I got my scores on the 18th, but when I was finally able to log into wake, they said they are waiting to receive my scores...
it will take a little while for them to get registered by AMCAS, then sent to schools, then acknowledged by schools. I'd say another week or so probably.

it will take a little while for them to get registered by AMCAS, then sent to schools, then acknowledged by schools. I'd say another week or so probably.

OK, thanks!

In case anyone was wondering the whole e-mail you your status comment does = rejected. I got the e-mail with the attached pdf file of doom today. Good luck to everyone else still in the running.

got the wake rejection email today....

How many people get the secondary, anyhow?

I just got the email from Wake today that said my AMCAS is now under preliminary review or whatever. What was the turnover time for this? i want my secondary:p

I just got the email from Wake today that said my AMCAS is now under preliminary review or whatever. What was the turnover time for this? i want my secondary:p

Got the initial email on July 12th and they sent the second email (w/ secondary) on the 17th. So its a wicked fast turn around.....hopefully that made your day. :)