Wake Forest SOM Early Assurance Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys thought of Wake Forest SOM??? I'm thinking of applying for the early assurance program where you can get a guaranteed acceptance into a future class without taking the MCAT. You have to keep a science and nonscience GPA of 3.5 and it is a BINDING agreement. Your not allowed to apply elsewhere if you get accepted to Wake Forest. I just wanted to know if this is worth doing. It seems like a pretty good school overall, beautiful hospital, and a small class size (110). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I may be biased but doooo it dooo it doooo it doooo it :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would give one of my nuts to go there. Trust me, you're going to want the assurance of having a guaranteed medical school to attend. And you don't even have to take the MCAT. Lucky bastard. :smuggrin:

Yes, you have a guaranteed medical school acceptance, but you have no options. What if you could do well on the MCAT? I'm just saying, even though Wake is a GREAT medical school, there are plenty of better ones, in more fun cities, with lower tuition. Be careful with such a binding decision. Winston-Salem would be a tough place to be locked into for 8+ years.

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have to spend 8+ years in Winston-New Salem, its just for the med school. Then I could do residency somewhere else of course. I'm not the greatest on standardized tests, and I did pretty crappy on the SAT's back in high school. I have a pretty good GPA (3.9), do a lot of clubs and leadership stuff, and do some JV and V sports at Elmira College. I think I have a decent shot at the program so I may apply. Any thoughts on the School of Medicine itself??? How is the grading system? I especially like the small entering class and it overall seems like a good place with a huge hospital.

I loved Wake -- it was beautiful! I'm thrilled that I got in, though I'm not too excited about its location in Winston-Salem. I know I would be happy there nonetheless. And yes, their hospital is huge, and it's physically connected to the SOM. The students and faculty I met were very kind and friendly.

Here's what I found on their grading system (from the admissions bulletin): "The Promotions Committee regularly reviews academic performances of the members of all four classes and makes appropriate recommendations. Their actions are determined by a student's overall performance based on quality point averages using a 0 to 3.0 scale."

I also LOVED the Wake curriculum. It contains the following elements (the basic & clinical sciences are taught in an integrated phase manner):
1) Basic and Clinical Science Problems (BCSP) -- "students meet twice per week in small groups of six students with two faculty facilitators to promote development of clinical reasoning skills and acquisition of basic and clinical science knowledge. The case topic serves as the anchor for each week of instruction in correlation with the material presented in classes."
2) Foundations of Clinical Medicine -- "Students alternate on a weekly basis between the doctor-patient (interviewing and interpersonal skills) and physical examination components of the course."
3) Medicine as a Profession -- "This course focuses on various aspects of medical culture and medicine as a professional practice with its history and culture. Course segments include physician socialization, ethical decisions in medicine, medical humanities, legal aspects of medical practice, and compassionate respectful treatment of patients. Sessions alternate between large group presentations and small group discussions."
4) Population Health & Epidemiology & Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine -- "This course facilitates students' understanding of medical epidemiology and provides an introduction to Evidence Based Medicine, including epidemiologic principles, strengths/weaknesses of study designs, use and interpretation of diagnostic tests. Presented in small group and lecture series."
5) Community Practice Experience -- "Students spend four weeks with a community based primary care practitioner."

Hope that helped! :D

JEWmongous said:
Thanks guys. I wouldn't have to spend 8+ years in Winston-New Salem, its just for the med school. Then I could do residency somewhere else of course. I'm not the greatest on standardized tests, and I did pretty crappy on the SAT's back in high school. I have a pretty good GPA (3.9), do a lot of clubs and leadership stuff, and do some JV and V sports at Elmira College. I think I have a decent shot at the program so I may apply. Any thoughts on the School of Medicine itself??? How is the grading system? I especially like the small entering class and it overall seems like a good place with a huge hospital.

Look man, if you do poorly on standardized tests, have only a 3.9 gpa in high school, and still have an opportunity for an early assurance from Wake Forest, you damn well better take it. You'll be applying to med schools for the 2nd or 3rd time before you realize what an opportunity you passed up.

Just so you know, I had a 2.8 in high school, an 1110 on the SAT, a 3.85 in college, and a 30 on the MCAT, and I'm applying for the second time. GET THE EARLY ASSURANCE!!!! You'll be killing yourself later if you don't.

bigbassinbob said:
Look man, if you do poorly on standardized tests, have only a 3.9 gpa in high school, and still have an opportunity for an early assurance from Wake Forest, you damn well better take it. You'll be applying to med schools for the 2nd or 3rd time before you realize what an opportunity you passed up.

I couldn't agree more. If you do poorly on standardized tests, then you really, really ought to apply to this program. There is nothing worse than a poor sap with a high GPA, great ECs and LORs, but just can't tackle the MCAT and end up at a bottom tier school or without any acceptances. You owe it to yourself to apply. :thumbup:

JEWmongous said:
Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys thought of Wake Forest SOM??? I'm thinking of applying for the early assurance program where you can get a guaranteed acceptance into a future class without taking the MCAT. You have to keep a science and nonscience GPA of 3.5 and it is a BINDING agreement. Your not allowed to apply elsewhere if you get accepted to Wake Forest. I just wanted to know if this is worth doing. It seems like a pretty good school overall, beautiful hospital, and a small class size (110). Thanks!

hey. hey you. is there a list of early decision programs somwhere, lead me, oh, come on, lead me there. i do not want to consult the boreeng msar.

I have a 3.9 GPA in college, not high school. I hope you guys realize that this program is JUST for the med school, not one of those 8 year straight of high school deals. Thanks!

JEWmongous said:
I have a 3.9 GPA in college, not high school. I hope you guys realize that this program is JUST for the med school, not one of those 8 year straight of high school deals. Thanks!

? You can apply to that when you're in college? I still think you should do it.