1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Wake Forest U. (NC)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by initialotus, Nov 18, 2005.

1. initialotus

initialotus Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    Any strong opinions/thoughts/etc? Trying to figure out if I wanna interview there. Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jon Davis

Jon Davis I killed the bank.
    10+ Year Member

I just became complete there this week. I just know they got a kick ass cancer program and they hook you up with a laptop and PDA. I gotta do more research!

4. JG198

JG198 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    when are you scheduled?

5. initialotus

Pre-Medical

Dec. 2nd

6. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I withdrew the week before my interview because I received an acceptance from someplace else. IMHO and from talking to various med school profs, Wake is a standard no-frills med school with an expensive price tag. I heard they had a huge drop in USMLE scores just after they switched to PBL and this turned me off. But apparently they've rectified the situation and scores are about average.

7. Jon Davis

10+ Year Member

Would it be fair to say they are an average medical school? Good but not great?

8. golftrippy

golftrippy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Average out of the 125MD schools...no....they are above average, but certainly not in the upper tier

9. initialotus

Pre-Medical
    where'd you get in better than Wake Forest?

10. mustangsally65

mustangsally65 Sally 2.0
    7+ Year Member

Wake is one of my top choices, but then again I live in NC. I'd be thrilled for an interview. :thumbup:

11. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It really depends on what you're looking for in a med school. Wake as a med school was pretty nice when I visited...really good facilities, the students were nice, they're definitely into student use of technology, etc. However, personally I could not stand Winston-Salem. It's way too small of a town for me and I couldn't see myself enjoying 4 years there...there are few places to eat around campus and not a whole lot to do in ways of a social life (as compared to a larger city). So what it all comes down to is what you're looking for; if you're a city person Wake might not be the best place for you; if you're more of a small town person or the location doesn't matter to you, it seems like a good school to go to and I'd definitely check it out.

12. amand0r

amand0r Member
    5+ Year Member

I have a question about the area:

are there any opportunities in general for a computer engineer to get a job? How large is the town? Are there engineering/hardware developing firms around?

Thanks!

13. mustangsally65

mustangsally65 Sally 2.0
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'm about 4 hours west of Winston, but my sister lives there and I feel like it has a lot to offer. But most people on SDN tend to think it's a small conservative town. To me it's a big city, but that's probably because I grew up in a town with a population of 1,000 people. :D

According to this, Winston has a population of just under 200,000 people. There are lots of suburbs like Lewisville and Clemmons, as well as old Salem, which has a lot of historical areas and is quite charming.

To me, Winston is in a great location geographically. You're about an hour from Raleigh, which is about two hours from the beach, depending on which beach you're headed to. Winston is an hour from the mountains, if you take 421 you can be in Boone/Blowing rock in about an hour. You can live in a more populated section of town, or just 10 minutes out in Lewisville where there are a lot of farms.

There are also four seasons. You can see snow/ice, it's HOT in the summer, and the fall is somewhat colorful. A short trip to the mountains will give you much more fall foliage, however!

There are a lot of colleges/universities in the piedmont that are nearby, including ones in Greensboro and High Point, which are about half an hour away. So it seems like there would be a lot of people in their early 20's to socialize with.

As far as the job you ask about, I really have no idea. I would think there would be, since it's a big area for research and technology. But don't quote me on that. ;) I'll talk to my sister and get back to you.

14. Mutt

Mutt SDN Donor
    7+ Year Member

Where did you learn about this?

15. Jon Davis

10+ Year Member

The laptop stuff, I was told by a fellow SDNer. (I forgot exactly who)
    The cancer stuff, was from their website. They had a seal for the Best Of on there. I am positive they have a highly rated cancer center. Check it out.

16. registered user

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    They don't "hook you up with" a PDA and laptop. You pay them with the Monopoly money we like to call "student loans".

17. Jon Davis

10+ Year Member

Yeah, thats true. Your $$$ are funneled into that. But can't I be deluded into think that? Way to burst my bubble. haha

18. LabMonster

LabMonster Clinically relevant.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Tell you what, if you are interested in a kick-ass clinical education - try for it.

The USMLE step 1 pass rate was around 95% for last year - which means about 5 people didn't pass the first time (class of 108). Seems pretty good to me.

Their is also a huge revitalization project going on in Winston-Salem and new restaurants, galleries, and night-spots are popping up all around downtown. The arts are also big in WS.

19. LabMonster

LabMonster Clinically relevant.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Oh - IBM thinkpads are standard issue for MS1 students (with biometric security access) and MS3 students receive PDAs for their clerkships. I was just there for an interview - so I should be able to answer general questions.

Medikit is in the thick of first year - has helped me with some specific questions.

20. jllander

jllander Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone, I'm a first year at Wake and absolutely love it!!! I am originally from California and did my undergrad at UC San Diego. If any of you have any questions you want to ask about Wake or my experiences, I would love to answer them. I think Wake is a wonderful school for so many different reasons and don't mind sharing. :D

21. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

To say downtown is being revitalized is a joke. A big part of that was to be done by Krispy Kreme who is obviously no longer in a position to do that (accounting scandal and possible bankruptcy). There are about 4 bars in the entire town, and no clubs if thats your thing. Downtown is one street (4th street) and anyone who comes here looking for anything even similiar to a city will be greatly dissapointed. downtown is so bare, it feels like a ghost town after 5:00, you can drive anywhere in a second. Also Winston-Salem is going to have even more problems as textiles and tobacco are being hit hard and everyday on the news they say how many jobs are lost. Yes Dell is opening a plant here but it wont make up for RJR problems (the reason for the towns existence). Wake as a medical school is ok. It has its pluses and minuses. Nice facilities and technology use being the pluses. Board scores are average, and ok match if you like anethsiology (sp?) ..I think they had 19 people match into a year ago.

22. wannagraduate

wannagraduate Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i go to wake undergrad and didn't even bother applying to wake med. i hate winston. four years was too much to handle; the thought of being here longer makes me cringe. from what i can gather, it's good if you have a family and/or are retired. i'm trying to get as far away as possible, if you wanna know the truth. that's just my take on the town itself. it seems like the school is pretty good, though.

23. Wahina

Wahina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

24. TheMightyAngus

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I got into Tulane, and thought I'd be happier there than at any other mid-major med school.

25. Jon Davis

10+ Year Member

Thanks, we've already covered that. :rolleyes:

26. Kleintje

Kleintje Why not?
    5+ Year Member

I emailed someone at Wake a while ago and they said they were working on a status page. Does anyone know if they got it up and running?

Thanks!

27. DryDoc

DryDoc Member
    5+ Year Member

I've gotten accepted to Wake Forest and Emory and am trying to decide between them. I'm leaning towards Emory but my family lives in Boone, NC. What do you all think?

28. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I cant think of a reason that any sane person would choose Wake over Emory...

29. ti89

ti89 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm pretty sure they said they have family in NC. Seems like atleast one reason to atleast consider it.

30. BOBODR

BOBODR Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Atlanta isn't that far. If family is a huge issue than perhaps consider it. But Emory as a medical school would get my vote in a second. And Atlanta over Winston-Salem any day of the week.

31. Jon Davis

10+ Year Member

All else being equal, it's a total no brainer. Emory.

32. ti89

ti89 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I would choose Emory also without hesitation.

33. mustangsally65

mustangsally65 Sally 2.0
    7+ Year Member

Here's a response from my sister, who has lived in Winston-Salem since 2001.

Hope it helps! If it were me I'd pick Wake over Emory any day. I hate Atlanta, it's too big for me. But if you pick Emory, maybe a spot will open up for some of us NCers at Wake! :p

34. registered user

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, what she said. You should pick Emory so I can get off the stupid waitlist. BTW, I would probably pick Emory as well.

35. ti89

ti89 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Well I am withdrawing from the waitlist. Good luck and hope you get in :luck:

36. registered user

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks. Is Pitt your first choice? I'm pretty excited about my interview in Jan.

37. ti89

ti89 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I did like pitt alot. I wouldn't say its my first choice of all the schools as I would consider other schools strongly. I would love to have the choice among Pitt, Case, Vandy, and Umich.

38. registered user

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :luck: Here's hoping you do.

39. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i would go to wake hands down (b/c I freakin' HATE atl-- lived there for two summers-- :barf: )