Wake Forest vs Hackensack Meridian (20K/year scholarship)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rexcouver11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! So I have been accepted to both Wake Forest and Hackensack Meridian and got a 10K/year scholarship from Hackensack. I decided to go with Wake Forest and found a roommate, bought apparel, started apartment hunting, etc. When I let Hackensack know I was withdrawing, they countered with an additional 10K/year. I fell in love with Wake and it has been my top school for forever, but I just want to make sure I'm not being stupid. I'm really interested in Dermatology (I know, I know) but obviously going in with an open mind.

Wake Forest

Pros
  • brand new facilities
  • tons of opportunities for research
  • cheap cost of living
  • students and faculty are very nice, organized, and responsive
  • I went to undergrad in North Carolina and love the state
  • 1.5 preclinical, P/F
  • non-mandatory classes
  • they give you a laptop and resources like Pathoma, etc
  • established
  • all rotations in/around Winston-Salem
  • connected to an undergrad
  • 2.5 hours from my brother who will be in school in South Carolina
Cons
  • expensive (basically will be taking out $80K in loans per year)
  • far from home (8.5 hours)

Hackensack Meridian

Pros
  • brand new facilities
  • 3+1 curriculum, P/F (finish medical school in 3 years, can either start residency after 3rd year in Hackensack Meridian health network or take 4th year as research year, global health year, etc.)
  • could potentially live at home for clinical portion, saving $$$
  • Hackensack Meridian is the best network in NJ
  • 40 min from home
  • faculty is very kind and administration seems to give you a lot of attention as they are a new school and do not have many students
  • the dean is amazing and inspiring and I love their message
  • lots of opportunities for work within the community
  • could potentially save a lot of money as tuition would be $14K cheaper each year, I could live at home for some of it, and I may not need to pay tuition at all for my fourth year
Cons
  • not established at all - I would be the third class. This is especially worrisome with step 1 going P/F and school prestige mattering more. They have not had a class take STEP yet.
  • administration seems disorganized (common for a new school, but still)
  • partnership with Seton Hall is essentially done
  • accelerated curriculum leaves no summer between M1/M2 or time for research (although I could spend my entire 4th year doing research)
  • unsure if I want to stay in NJ for residency, though 3 year pipeline is very tempting
  • clinical sites all over NJ, sometimes hours away
Please help!! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm not going to weigh in, but if you have any lingering questions about WF feel free to DM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Although that 3+1 at Hackensack is super tempting, an established program like Wake Forest seems to be the better choice for you, and I'm pretty sure you know that yourself.

Also WF dwarfs Hackensack in research money, pretty sure they have $100mil+ in NIH funding + rock solid ranking. Go WF.

I’m from NJ, and I think you should go with Wake especially since you are interested in Dermatology. With step 1 p/f I think it’s key to have a solid school for competitive matches. Also Hackensack is one of the largest hospital networks in NJ, but I’m not sure if it’s the best network. You also seem to really love Wake, and I don’t think that that 20K a year is enough to sway you from a school you really love and will put you in a better position for the match.