Wake forest vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepotatoes123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since WF and VCU are similar in tier, are both P/F, have research, similar in climate, the thing that I'm trying to look for the most is vibe and fit. I am unfortunately unable to attend second look so I'm trying to collect my thoughts together about how I felt about the school on the interview day which I don't know if it will be accurate. If anyone has any inputs/how they chose their school for fit, please feel free to share.

(?) are for things that I felt but am unsure since I was in each city for about 2-3 days.

I think that overall on paper, VCU seems better but I guess I just got a weird vibe during the interview experience.

Wake Forest

Pro
People in winston-salem seemed friendlier than people in richmond (?)
Class size is slightly smaller
Liked student tour guide
Vibed well with MMI interviewers (but not sure if they were faculty or outside interviewers)

Con
1.5 months (shorter than VCU) for step studying
Less things to do in Winston-Salem
Heard that the hospital is smaller (?)
Didn't vibe too well with my fellow interviewees

VCU

Pro
More underserved and diverse patient populations (?)
Richmond as a city has a wider variety in food options and things to do
1.5 preclinical years so around 3-4 months of step studying and an extra rotation before residency application

Con
Interaction with fellow interviewees was the most awkward out of all my interviews - everyone was very quiet
Student tour guide was nice but did not vibe well with as much
Did not vibe well with MMI interviewers as much (but again, not sure if they would actually be faculty)
Airbnb hosts were rude - wondering if this is a one off thing since southerners have a reputation for being nice?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t base your decision on the vibes you got or your interactions with a handful of people, because they won’t be representative of the 4-year experience you’ll be getting during your medical education. Even second looks aren’t all they’re hyped up to be, from what others have said on here.

Reactions: 1 user