Wake Forest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samyjay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i just called wake forest to check the status of my application and they said i was in the pool of "second interviews" and that they are not interviewing from there right now. Is that essential the same as "on hold", since i remember reading people getting emails saying that all interviewable canidates cant be interviewed, or is there some hope. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i'm in that pool, too, samyjay!

i *think* it's the same as the "hold" category... but i'm not sure. all i know is that i'd be quite happy going to wake, so an interview would be really nice. but for now i'm biding my time in the kiddie pool. :(

they haven't even sent me a secondary yet. How long did it take for yours to come?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake Forest screens the AMCAS before sending out secondaries to applicants they are seriously considering. My file was completed this week with Aug 02 MCAT scores. I called and they said that I should hear in 2-3 weeks.

Originally posted by samyjay
So i just called wake forest to check the status of my application and they said i was in the pool of "second interviews" and that they are not interviewing from there right now. Is that essential the same as "on hold", since i remember reading people getting emails saying that all interviewable canidates cant be interviewed, or is there some hope. Thanks

Two years ago I got a letter very late in the process that said that I was in an interview group, but they didn't have time to interview that group. This could be that.

But...seeing as it's pretty early still, they could just be breaking the applicants into chunks and interviewing one chunk at a time. You'll probably just be in the next chunk to go through. Like somebody else said - they sent a secondary to you, so they think you're interviewable.

Why don't you call and ask what they mean? I haven't found a school yet that won't explain their methods...though some can be a bit curt and rude.

So Wake Forest just called me today asking to schedule an interview. That came out of the blue! The thing is, i called on the 18th, they said i was in the second interview pool. Then i sent an email for clarification, and expressing my interest in the school. And today, they called me, asking if i could posibly come next week, but can only go Dec. 2. Wohoo!

Originally posted by samyjay
So Wake Forest just called me today asking to schedule an interview. That came out of the blue! The thing is, i called on the 18th, they said i was in the second interview pool. Then i sent an email for clarification, and expressing my interest in the school. And today, they called me, asking if i could posibly come next week, but can only go Dec. 2. Wohoo!

Thats interesting, I called them yesterday and they told me that I was in the second interview pool. Maybe I should send them an email for clarification as well. :D

I have arranged for more LOR's to be sent to them, maybe they will re-review my file and hopefully jump me up to the first interview pool, something they told me could happen if I request that they re-review my application.

I just got an interview offer from them on Saturday in the mail. (I declined.) Maybe they're just running behind. Don't worry!

Jade~

Originally posted by Jadeite
I just got an interview offer from them on Saturday in the mail. (I declined.) Maybe they're just running behind. Don't worry!

Jade~

hey jadeite-- could you please pass that interview invite on to me? i'd love to go there!! thanks!! :D ;) :p

No prob, babe. (It might get to you anyway, sent in the "no thanks" postcard the day I got it, so they should definitely be able to fill the space.)

If only acceptances and stuff were transferable! I don't believe it, but I now have 5 acceptances! I'd definitely give ya one if I could.

Jade~

Originally posted by Sweet Tea
and i'd definetly take one of those acceptances off your hands for you. ;)

my jealousy aside, big congrats to you!! :clap:

Yeah! I'm amazed, I seriously don't believe it. I applied for both 2001 & 2002 and I didn't get in - now - all of a sudden every place wants me. I guess it could be age maybe? I was 19 the first time I applied, then 20, now I'm 21....? Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

Jade~

i saw your list of acceptances...i'll take gwu if you don't mind. :D this is my first (please let it be my only) time applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah! I'm amazed, I seriously don't believe it. I applied for both 2001 & 2002 and I didn't get in - now - all of a sudden every place wants me. I guess it could be age maybe? I was 19 the first time I applied, then 20, now I'm 21....? Oh well, I guess we'll never know.

Jade~

It could be. 19 is quite a bit young. Med schools like a little more maturity, not that I'm saying you weren't mature, but it wouldn't necessarily be seen that way by med schools.

Plus, this being the third year, they know you're dedicated. :)

Yeah, could be maturity, and dedication - most of them do ask in the interview if I've applied before.

I dunno, GWU is one of my tops. I really did like OSU, though! Ah! I have to make these decisions. (Interesting side note: My MD State school hasn't given me an interview yet.)

But VCU has great trauma (they handled the second to last sniper victim!) and UMDNJ is cheap and a good education! Sigh.

Jade~

I don't believe it, but I now have 5 acceptances! I'd definitely give ya one if I could.

Jade~

congrats, jade. that's awesome!

I just received this email from wake forest, concerning the second interview pool. Weird thing is, they already called me for an interview :)

Dear Samyjay,

You asked about the second interview pool. Your application has been placed there for the time being. It will be reviewed along the way and your status could change and then again it might not, we are still processing applications. If you haven't heard anything after the first of the year, contact us again to see if anything has changed.

If you have other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Sincerely,
Irene Tise

I'm sure that was some generic e-mail that they send to people who inquire about being in the second pool of interviews, and does not pertain to you specifically. I'm sure that they have people asking them what exactly that is. You must be one of the lucky ones that got bumped up as the processing goes on. Good luck on your interview.

hey jadeite, i noticed that u got into CWRU. i also got in and am totally stoked on the school. what do u think of it? i haven't heard any bad things at all about the school. they appear to have a top notch curriculum, excellent clinical facilities, and kick ass match list. i'm still waiting for northwestern and the UCs (i'm a cali resident), but CWRU seems pretty cool to me.

I interviewed at Wake from the top interview pool. They said that we will either get accepted or waitlisted - they do NOT get rejected. This seems a bit strange. Does Wake usually have a very large waitlist? Or do they just screen for interviews that hard?

Originally posted by Adcadet
I interviewed at Wake from the top interview pool. They said that we will either get accepted or waitlisted - they do NOT get rejected. This seems a bit strange. Does Wake usually have a very large waitlist? Or do they just screen for interviews that hard?

Wake does screen before secondaries and interviews. They do have a large waitlist and there is movement. The class size is 108.
If you've gotten an interview then you are in a very good position. I would say one of the biggest advice I could give is to show interest in them. They apparently like that.
Good luck to all

Originally posted by Adcadet

If this is true, that would be kickass. I called to check my status today and was told I was in the top interview pool and scheduled an interview. I was surprised since I turned in my secondary very late.

Can anybody who's interviewed there (or even better, lived there), give me a sense of what the surrounding environment's like? Is Winston-Salem a college town? Is the med school attached to the undergrad or nearby? Diversity of the general population? Any rural areas?

Sorry if I sound clueless, I've never been to that area of the East coast.

I took an anatomy course up there a few years ago and the area itself wasn't all that exciting a place. From what I remeber, the medical school was a good distance(more than a mile) from the main campus and Winston Salem is not a big city, especially if you're coming from LA.

But on the flip-mo, I did like the feel of the med school itself. Cool facilities, and the hospital complex was pretty nice too. And the TA for the anatomy class that I took was the most laid-back guy you'll ever meet. So if he's a good reflection of the faculty and staff of Bowman Grey, then at least we know that the people are great.

Hope this helps.

Hey, I thought I'd answer some of your questions... I'm a first year at Wake, and I really love it! If you get an interview at Wake, congrats!!! It's true that you won't get rejected once you get offered an interview. Your odds are pretty good, especially since there is a lot of waitlist movement.

Winston-Salem is a pretty city, but it's small (~150,000ish). It's a quiet, clean city with admittedly not much to do. I'm looking forward to some college basketball action -- it's huge around here. The arts scene here is pretty big. There's the NC school of the arts nearby, and there are always concerts/plays of some sort going on.

One good thing is that housing here is really cheap. But Wake is a great school, with really nice facilities. One thing I really like about the place is how wired it is. Students get laptops because the entire curriculum is on-line.

The med school is separate from the undergrad campus, but it's only about a 10-15 min drive away. As for diversity of population, there is a large Hispanic population in the city, which is why there is a mandatory Spanish course in 4th yr.

Wake also has what's called a Community Practice Experience, in which you spend time with a doctor in a rural community. So, yeah, you will get exposed to small, small-town life too.

This was a pretty general post, but I hope it was helpful. Let me know if you have any more questions!

chrys42: What do you know about the second interview pool? Do you know if anybody in your class was originally in the second pool and later invited to an interview? If so, did they do anything special in order to get invited?

Wake Forest is a school I am very interested in, and I think that many of the other people who are also in the second interview pool are as well, so whatever insight you can give us regarding the second pool would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Solid Gold:

In terms of the 2nd interview pool, I think this is what Admissions does. They initially group people into 3 pools. The first group will get offered an interview either by mail or if they call in. The second group will get considered for interview, and can get called at short notice (some people from my interview day got a call from Admissions the day before telling them to come down. One guy who was an undergrad at Wake got a phone call the day of!). The third group gets a rejection letter.

I think the advice people have been giving on the thread is really good. If you're serious about Wake, I highly, highly recommend letting them know. Letters and phone calls go a long way at this school.

Originally posted by chrys42
The second group will get considered for interview, and can get called at short notice (some people from my interview day got a call from Admissions the day before telling them to come down. One guy who was an undergrad at Wake got a phone call the day of!).

Wow. That's hardcore! Day of? Kills the whole prep time thing...

I'll second (or seventh or something) what others have said: Write to express interest! Last year I was also in the 2nd pool, and I called. The woman who answered the phone informed me of my status, but said that if I wrote a letter to the Dean that I would probably get an interview. I decided not to write, so I can't report how it went. So maybe I would suggest calling first, to get the "go ahead," but then definitely to write a letter of interest.

I CAN tell you that I did a similar thing at Jefferson -- I hadn't heard from them, so I faxed a letter to express my "continued interest" and within 30 minutes I got an email inviting me for an interview. And now I attend Jefferson and it's fabulous!

Good luck!

Does Wake Forest even reject post-secondary, because it seems like they just place all those who don't get an interview off the bat into the second pool.

apparantly, I was in their first interview pool... but they haven't sent any info...
I called today and got my interview date...
so any of you guys reading this and have finished your app quite long time ago...
call them and make sure you got it...

I am pretty certain that Wake does reject post-secondary applications. If I recall correctly, and this statistic may no longer be accurate -- top 15% of applications are considered pool #1 and will get offered an interview. The next set of applications are placed in pool #2 and will possibly get offered an interview. The last set get a rejection letter.

I don't mean to be a stats *****, but I was wondering if some of you in the first interview pool would mind posting your stats. I'm an August MCATer and an trying to figure out if I should expect an interview. My own stats are 3.51/31Q, good ECs and recs by the way. Thanks.

i'm in the first interview pool at Wake and my stats are:
10,11,10,P
3.77 GPA (3.7 science)
lots of research, clinical experience, some volunteer
good luck.

Originally posted by onit
I don't mean to be a stats *****, but I was wondering if some of you in the first interview pool would mind posting your stats. I'm an August MCATer and an trying to figure out if I should expect an interview. My own stats are 3.51/31Q, good ECs and recs by the way. Thanks.

when did you get a secondary? i'm an august mcater and still waiting.... so frustrating!

I got my secondary last thursday by email. Good luck and I'm sure they're busy processing and its on the way! :)

I'm in first interview pool.
stat is 10,13,10,P, 3.78GPA

I'm in the first interview pool.
ugrad: 3.4
grad BCPM: 3.9
grad overall: 3.7
MCAT: 31
Lots of research, solid ECs

Any second interview poolers get an invite yet?

Originally posted by chrys42
Solid Gold:

In terms of the 2nd interview pool, I think this is what Admissions does. They initially group people into 3 pools. The first group will get offered an interview either by mail or if they call in. The second group will get considered for interview, and can get called at short notice (some people from my interview day got a call from Admissions the day before telling them to come down. One guy who was an undergrad at Wake got a phone call the day of!). The third group gets a rejection letter.

I think the advice people have been giving on the thread is really good. If you're serious about Wake, I highly, highly recommend letting them know. Letters and phone calls go a long way at this school.

this happened to a co-worker of mine last year...she called about her chances of getting an interview, and they said that they had an opening THAT DAY. she ended up getting in, too.

i'm in the second pool, and i haven't heard anything yet (but i'll be writing a letter this afternoon :))

I actually sent them a letter right after I found out I was in the second interview pool, about 6 weeks ago.

Sweet Tea, do you remember the time of year that your co-worker called them? The woman I spoke to in the admissions office told me to call them back in January if I did not hear from them by then, and I have a note written down to remind me of that. Did your friend call around that time?

Originally posted by SolidGold
I actually sent them a letter right after I found out I was in the second interview pool, about 6 weeks ago.

Sweet Tea, do you remember the time of year that your co-worker called them? The woman I spoke to in the admissions office told me to call them back in January if I did not hear from them by then, and I have a note written down to remind me of that. Did your friend call around that time?

SG you evr hear anything after your letter was sent?

No, not yet...I'm waiting until January to call them back now.

sorry, solidgold, i don't remember! :(

wish i did, though.

No, not yet...I'm waiting until January to call them back now.

When you call again, ask to speak with Irene Tise. She is in charge of interviews and helps to make acceptances. Express your desire to her.

Good Luck

WFU class of 2007 :)

Originally posted by Gohan
When you call again, ask to speak with Irene Tise. She is in charge of interviews and helps to make acceptances. Express your desire to her.

Good Luck

WFU class of 2007 :)

Thanks, I will. :)

Hi, everyone...I am new.

I also applied to Wake Forest. Compared to you guys, I am way behind the game. My application was complete on December 9. How long did it take for the admissions committee to decide what "pool" you were in? I am worried and don't know what to expect with the holidays. I am debating whether or not to call/e-mail now or wait until the 1st of the year. HELP!

Hi cocoabutter, welcome to SDN. It generally takes at least 4 weeks for med schools to process a completed application. That's in general, I don't know how long it takes Wake Forest to do it. So I would just sit tight until January and then give them a call. By the way, I found out that I was in the second interview pool by calling them, they don't send out notice by e-mail or snail mail if you get into that pool. Good luck!

it all depends on where you are in the application season. my app was complete 9/13/02. interview invite 9/17/02. interviewed 10/30/02. acceptance date: 11/18/02 (happy belated b-day to me :)) so wake forest can be pretty quick, i was very pleased with their timeline. but, i happened to interview just before one of their committee meetings, which, my host's friend told me, occurs every 3 weeks or so. good luck to you!

Thanks guys. I will keep you posted.:love:

I also applied to Wake Forest. Compared to you guys, I am way behind the game. My application was complete on December 9. How long did it take for the admissions committee to decide what "pool" you were in? I am worried and don't know what to expect with the holidays. I am debating whether or not to call/e-mail now or wait until the 1st of the year. HELP!

Hey,

I think it would definitely be worth giving admissions a call in the beginning of the new year. Classes just ended for us today, and I'm not sure who in Admissions will be around on Monday. I was by the office yesterday, and it already seemed a bit thinned out.

I'm not sure how the Committee goes about the "pooling" procedure, but I know that sometimes they can be extremely prompt. I called in February about 2 weeks after I mailed in my application, and got an interview offer on the phone. Good luck!!! :)