waking up during general - overdone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aheyn01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never had an op yet (touchwood!) , but a somewhat huge fear I have is finding that I might wake up during an op. In that I mean I can see and/or hear everything - and possibly - in a really bad situation, feel pain even for a short time.

I got this stupid fear after watching this show where they spoke to people who had 'woken up' during ops - show was years ago but its still stuck in my mind.

No doubt it would be extremely terrifying.

Is the risk really that great? I'm 22, quite healthy, normal weight for my age (75kg), eat fairly good foods etc...... if i had to have an op tomorrow, would there really be a chance I could wake up during it?

Would like to hear peoples opinions on this.......whether the whole issue is blown out of proportions...

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are looking for the 20/20 or Oprah message board. Enjoy your youth and don't let sensationalized stories of rare events cause you to lose sleep. Oh, and it is good that you are eating "fairly good foods." I mostly eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs. :)

aheyn01 said:
I've never had an op yet (touchwood!) , but a somewhat huge fear I have is finding that I might wake up during an op. In that I mean I can see and/or hear everything - and possibly - in a really bad situation, feel pain even for a short time.

I got this stupid fear after watching this show where they spoke to people who had 'woken up' during ops - show was years ago but its still stuck in my mind.

No doubt it would be extremely terrifying.

Is the risk really that great? I'm 22, quite healthy, normal weight for my age (75kg), eat fairly good foods etc...... if i had to have an op tomorrow, would there really be a chance I could wake up during it?

Would like to hear peoples opinions on this.......whether the whole issue is blown out of proportions...

This is my personal feeling, but the vast marjority of those cases are from forgetting to turn on the vaporizer, or an empty vaporizer.

Only desflurane has the luxury of giving us an audible low-level alarm. All other vaporizers require us to use our eyeballs throughout the case to monitor the fluid level.

Members don't see this ad :)
These cases only happen to people that have the nerve to annoy the anesthesia residents with pedantic questions...... :smuggrin:

Gern Blansten said:
I think you are looking for the 20/20 or Oprah message board. Enjoy your youth and don't let sensationalized stories of rare events cause you to lose sleep. Oh, and it is good that you are eating "fairly good foods." I mostly eat Twinkies and Ding Dongs. :)

Gern is right. This kind of a thing is very rare. Diet is unrelated.

aheyn01 said:

Thats all great, but how is that going to help when you break your ankle, and go in for an ORIF and the anesthesiologist forgets to turn on the vaporizer? :smuggrin:

I know what show you are talking about and do think it is a terrifying thought. Like the woman who had her wisdom teeth removed under general anes. and could feel and hear everything the doctor was saying/doing. Cases like this are so rare...and they have developed and are developing more ways to prevent that stuff from the very few that do have it happen...It isn't anything to worry about. I think the worst part of surgery is waking up afterwards with that wicked cotton mouth and people talking to you like you are a 3 yearold special needs child.

Laryngospasm said:
Thats all great, but how is that going to help when you break your ankle, and go in for an ORIF and the anesthesiologist forgets to turn on the vaporizer? :smuggrin:

As a corrollary, this is a great reason to routinely use as little paralytic as possible unless the surgical conditions absolutely mandate total paralysis.

If the pt's light (ie, you forgot to turn on the vaporizer) and unparalyzed you'll know immediately at incision. :eek:

MossPoh said:
I know what show you are talking about and do think it is a terrifying thought. Like the woman who had her wisdom teeth removed under general anes. and could feel and hear everything the doctor was saying/doing. Cases like this are so rare...and they have developed and are developing more ways to prevent that stuff from the very few that do have it happen...It isn't anything to worry about. I think the worst part of surgery is waking up afterwards with that wicked cotton mouth and people talking to you like you are a 3 yearold special needs child.

I'm firmly convinced those Dateline NBC et al shows are a thinly-disguised marketing push by Aspect.

trinityalumnus said:
I'm firmly convinced those Dateline NBC et al shows are a thinly-disguised marketing push by Aspect.

I completely concur...Aspect is such a cheesy company....They made a product looking for an indication.

trinityalumnus said:

Thinly-disguised? Aspect usually has a rep and/or some part of the story relates how the magic "BIS" makes awareness go away :rolleyes:

What I particularly enjoy is one of the risk factors for intraoperative awareness is.. preoperative anxiety regarding intraoperative awareness.

Just think how much fun it will be when whats his face (young darth vadar guy) has his new movie regarding being awake during surgery come out :)