Walgreens guarantee of hours for floaters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagoboy1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

The RX district supervisor for the Walgreens district I want to work in (in another state) says that she does not guarantee any minimum number of hours per week for floaters and that the job offer for new grads in her district just says “offer of employment” without stating FT or PT.

She said this has always been a company-wide policy, but I could’ve sworn that floaters in my current district have been guaranteed a minimum number of hours in the past. Does anyone know the truth behind this? When I say guaranteed hours, I mean the guaranteed hours in writing (not what the RX supervisor tells you just by mouth).

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

The RX district supervisor for the Walgreens district I want to work in (in another state) says that she does not guarantee any minimum number of hours per week for floaters and that the job offer for new grads in her district just says “offer of employment” without stating FT or PT.

She said this has always been a company-wide policy, but I could’ve sworn that floaters in my current district have been guaranteed a minimum number of hours in the past. Does anyone know the truth behind this? When I say guaranteed hours, I mean the guaranteed hours in writing (not what the RX supervisor tells you just by mouth).

Thanks so much.

My offer came with no hours guarantee. I float in rural CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends what position code, you were hired with: RPT, S
P6, OR SP8. RPT is an hourly floater and you'll get hours as needed. SP6 AND SP8 are salaried position codes working either 6 or 8 days per pay period, respectively. Those are relatively new position codes

looks like all the stuff i said was going to happen is coming true.

Even if the company uses the word "guarantee," they can still lower your weekly hours when they want to. Remember, floaters are readily disposable.

Last edited:
Even if the company uses the word "guarantee," they can still lower your weekly hours when they want to. Remember, floaters are readily disposable.

Given most of the jobs in the country is "at-will", they can just lay you off at anytime. Guarantee means nothing when you have no job.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, all bets are off the table when January 1st comes and we haven't made a deal with Express Scripts. We're looking at a $5 billion dollar hit (7% of revenue) and we all know damn well the big wigs aren't going to take a "paycut", they'll start by slashing hours in order to make up the difference. Wasson has already begun telling Wall Street and Shareholders to brace for impact, which makes the notion of them reaching a deal even more unlikely.

Well, all bets are off the table when January 1st comes and we haven't made a deal with Express Scripts. We're looking at a $5 billion dollar hit (7% of revenue) and we all know damn well the big wigs aren't going to take a "paycut", they'll start by slashing hours in order to make up the difference. Wasson has already begun telling Wall Street and Shareholders to brace for impact, which makes the notion of them reaching a deal even more unlikely.
Right. There goes the middle shift!

I have heard that for every Express Scripts prescription we lose we need to do an extra 3 to make it even out. Not sure how that works, but yeah, I do not see that happening. I'm very curious to see what happens in January. I've heard doomsday predictions of 24 hour pharmacies becoming 8-10 and the regular 8-10 pharmacies becoming 9-9.

Members don't see this ad :)
farmercyst, have you been getting 40 hours a week?

yes and no. I started out getting 2-3 days/week. The kids loved it, but my pocket-book didn't. Then I got 5 days one week about 180 miles from home. After that a full-time staffer took FMLA 80 miles N of me. Since I'm the closest float, I've been driving up there. At the same time, in the same store, they cut another RPHs hours because she won't give immunizations. Apparently has a Dr's note due to extreme anxiety. Nonetheless I've been working 6 days/wk getting 8 hours + drive time (another hour to/from) for the last 3 weeks. I've got another week after this before the FMLA is done. Then I'll be up there 3 days/wk + whatever else they give me. So far I've got 32 hours one week and 40 hours the next. It's all hit/miss.

My guess is that there will be a change to 9-9 for some stores. You probably dont want to be a Walgreens floater going into the second half of 2012.

I have heard that for every Express Scripts prescription we lose we need to do an extra 3 to make it even out. Not sure how that works, but yeah, I do not see that happening. I'm very curious to see what happens in January. I've heard doomsday predictions of 24 hour pharmacies becoming 8-10 and the regular 8-10 pharmacies becoming 9-9.
This is exactly what I'm afraid of! But wouldn't it hurt their competitive edge?

I have heard that for every Express Scripts prescription we lose we need to do an extra 3 to make it even out.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If they reimburse that well, they're obviously not the contract you should be killing.

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If they reimburse that well, they're obviously not the contract you should be killing.
Some people, obviously, will not pick up their prescriptions, so, it may just mean that that many more have to be processed to make up the difference. It's just a projection, so whateves.

I work as a tech at walmart and I think they cut hours for floaters. They also arent hiring pharmacists in our district so the students will have to move to find a job.

I work as a tech at walmart and I think they cut hours for floaters. They also arent hiring pharmacists in our district so the students will have to move to find a job.

What market do you live in?

What state are you in? 24 hour stores were cut and closing at 9 or 10 over a year ago, except one store in the area.

Doomsday prediction? This would be a God send. Let's go a step further and make it M-F from 9-5

Doomsday prediction? This would be a God send. Let's go a step further and make it M-F from 9-5

Um, you realize they aren't going to be scheduling all their current pharmacists 9-5 M-F, don't you? A 9 - 5 schedule means 95% of pharmacists are without jobs and the PIC runs the pharmacy and is the only pharmacist. Maybe they would have keep 1 floater to cover vacations, just don't get sick, because the floater will already be scheduled for a vacation somewhere else, so you will have to work sick.

Um, you realize they aren't going to be scheduling all their current pharmacists 9-5 M-F, don't you? A 9 - 5 schedule means 95% of pharmacists are without jobs and the PIC runs the pharmacy and is the only pharmacist. Maybe they would have keep 1 floater to cover vacations, just don't get sick, because the floater will already be scheduled for a vacation somewhere else, so you will have to work sick.

I think you need to buy a sarcasm detector. I hear Walmart is having a sale.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to buy a sarcasm detector. I hear Walmart is having a sale.

I don't know Lnsean, that "sarcasm" quote I responded to was from a pharmacy student, and many pharmacy students really do have these pie in the sky ideals. I'm not convinced Nelcovp was actually being sarcastic.