Walgreens Pharmacist Advancement??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golf299

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into Walgreens and one day want to be out of the pharmacy and into management. From what I understand you have to become a Store Manager first?? Does this sound right? A PHARMACY valuing a store manager over all else? Can anyone explain that logic?

Members don't see this ad.

You're old.

Lol. He must be really new to WAGS. The store manager is the boss and calls all the shots. They even determine workflow and all pharmacy decisions except DURs. Additionally, the store manager earns more than the pharmacy manager through bonus.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am new to Walgreens.... Having a hard time wrapping my head around how a store manager knows how to execute workflow and other pharmacy strategies more effectively than a pharmacist living it every day. Again.... What's the logic, Walgreens!?!?

What???????? This is the most backward thread ever. I'm sorry if your store manager is running your pharmacy, it's probably because your not following workflow. Walgreens has a workflow expectation. Just follow it. Sometimes you make expectations but for the most part it works.

Store managers making more than rxm. Haven't seen or heard of this. Sometimes RXM makes more than District managers depending on experience,tier level pharmacy and pharmacy metrics. Tier 4 pharmacy manager bonuses typically range between 12K to 25K. Add that to a 140K salary. I doubt the store manager is pulling those numbers, unless he is getting a 100K bonus .

Reactions: 3 users
I couldn't wrap my head around the store managers doing the annual evaluations for pharmacists. It's almost the most backwards system I could think of. Even if the lead tech did the pharmacists evaluations at least he or she works in the pharmacy and has some idea what the pharmacist does. It was mind boggling to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol. He must be really new to WAGS. The store manager is the boss and calls all the shots. They even determine workflow and all pharmacy decisions except DURs. Additionally, the store manager earns more than the pharmacy manager through bonus.

I assume this is sarcasm right?

My SM hasn't told me what to do in years.

To answer the OP question, they want store managers simply so the pharmacist has an understanding of both pharmacy and front end. What ends up happening is the DM is always clueless about the front end anyways.

Most new DMs are pharmacists nowadays since it's much easier to learn front end operations then pharmacy.

I am new to Walgreens.... Having a hard time wrapping my head around how a store manager knows how to execute workflow and other pharmacy strategies more effectively than a pharmacist living it every day. Again.... What's the logic, Walgreens!?!?

I know it's hard to believe but be prepared if you work at WAGs. The DM and store manager both non-pharmacist control the pharmacy. As the matter fact, the store manager does the evaluation of the pharmacy manager.

Reactions: 1 user
They got in trouble a few years ago and had a massive fine from DEA because store managers were forcing pharmacist to fill all C2s scripts even though pharmacists refused.

To answer the OP question, they want store managers simply so the pharmacist has an understanding of both pharmacy and front end. What ends up happening is the DM is always clueless about the front end anyways.

Most new DMs are pharmacists nowadays since it's much easier to learn front end operations then pharmacy.

That's because you're a Yes-man and probably lay down and let them step all over you already so there's nothing left to demand from you.

That's because you're a Yes-man and probably lay down and let them step all over you already so there's nothing left to demand from you.

Hmm I run an amazing store....yep must be a yes man.

You children need to understand you have a job, outside making clinical decisions, just like any other job you should do as the SOP dictates.

Because I follow SOP does that make me a yes man? If you think so, that's fine but there's a reason why I enjoy my job and others don't.

When my DM comes in do you know what we do? We chat.... and that's it. There's no demands to do this or that because I follow SOP and it makes my life easier and allows me to do what I joined this profession to do. I help my patients.

I'm looking into Walgreens and one day want to be out of the pharmacy and into management. From what I understand you have to become a Store Manager first?? Does this sound right? A PHARMACY valuing a store manager over all else? Can anyone explain that logic?

I assume that you are a pharmacist. Years back Walgreens use to have an rx supervisor and district manager with support staff (district office). A potential promotional pathway was staff pharmacist to pharmacy manager to pharmacy manager at progressively busier stores to pharmacy supervisor. That was restructured and now it is just a dm with no support staff and most of the dms are store mangers.

Call Walgreens and ask them directly or interview with a DM for a pharmacist slot to find out why. I can only give you conjecture but I would guess its because a pharmacist is a pharmacist if you work at walgreens or wherever. Even if the market is tight you may still be able to find a job somewhere else. You also have that license to consider. Store managers on the other hand if they went somewhere else would have to start all over again and they have no license to worry about.

I assume that you are a pharmacist. Years back Walgreens use to have an rx supervisor and district manager with support staff (district office). A potential promotional pathway was staff pharmacist to pharmacy manager to pharmacy manager at progressively busier stores to pharmacy supervisor. That was restructured and now it is just a dm with no support staff and most of the dms are store mangers.

Call Walgreens and ask them directly or interview with a DM for a pharmacist slot to find out why. I can only give you conjecture but I would guess its because a pharmacist is a pharmacist if you work at walgreens or wherever. Even if the market is tight you may still be able to find a job somewhere else. You also have that license to consider. Store managers on the other hand if they went somewhere else would have to start all over again and they have no license to worry about.

While long term dms may be old store managers, most new ones are pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP find out for yourself, do your own informal study by speaking to some dms in your target area ask them their old job. If most DMS aren't pharmacists it sure would discourage new people from coming because who wants a job with no promotional potential.

This reminds me of when I bought my first car a Honda. The salesman kept talking about how great a car a Honda is. He didn't have to do it because I already thought that. Then I asked him where his car was and he pointed to it. A cherry red convertible corvette. OP the proof is in the pudding, don't be sold.

OP find out for yourself, do your own informal study by speaking to some dms in your target area ask them their old job. If most DMS aren't pharmacists it sure would discourage new people from coming because who wants a job with no promotional potential.

This reminds me of when I bought my first car a Honda. The salesman kept talking about how great a car a Honda is. He didn't have to do it because I already thought that. Then I asked him where his car was and he pointed to it. A cherry red convertible corvette. OP the proof is in the pudding, don't be sold.

Well I don't have any formal studies to prove it, but I suspect their are many, many pharmacists who have no interest in promotion whatsoever. I suspect the vast majority (myself included) would be perfectly happy to go our whole career and never advance beyond entry-level staff pharmacist. The money is good and the additional stress of 'climbing the ladder' seems disproportionate to the rewards of doing so.

Of all the reasons to want to get out of retail work I doubt "lack of career advancement" is on very many pharmacists short list. Heck many pharmacists take a pay cut or demotion to get out!

There’s unwritten rules I commented on elsewhere on promotion. Things that are company specific to Walgreens:
1. You have to have an IL license in addition to your primary one (in fact, when it's hinted that you should get one, take that as a promotion nod).
2. You have to understand both the pharmacy and actually the intricacies of inventory management. You basically have to be able to beat SIMS in terms of turns and ratios and demonstrate that you know your store.
3. You'll have to staff successfully as an RxM at a busier store for some variable amount of time (at least a year). In more competitive times, in addition, you have to turn around a bad store.

Shortcuts to Deerfield:
1. Have worked for UPS or FedEx as a driver before or a military veteran with SCM experience
2. Have substantial experience in data science
3. Have previous PBM experience (hired direct)
4. You were a winner in the discrimination lawsuit.

My recollection was that SM's did not interfere with pharmacy operations, even in the cases when the SM was an RPh for anything but cashiering. I've have had DM's do this, but where I practiced in, the Board took a very nasty position toward the idea of a non-pharmacist directing a pharmacist to do stuff (because of Revco and Walgreens pasts in the area).

From my understanding you cannot move from RXM to DM directly, you have to go through being SM first?

I worked with a pharmacist who had a WG manager try to boss him around. He told him to either get PharmD or he will report him to the board for trying to practice medicine. He then shortly quit after that. Say what you want about CVS (plz do), but the GM stays out of our business.

During my rotations, the Wags I was at for the month had the SM come up daily and tell the PM how the pharmacy was going to be ran that day. Such things like, "Yesterday it was 2.7 rings before the phone was picked up, let's get it down to 2.4" and "number of people waiting over the time was +30% compared to last week, why is that?" and all kinds of stuff to bust her balls.

She (PM) hated my guts for some reason, but admitted to me that she never would have stopped floating for Kroger had she known this would be the case.

During my rotations, the Wags I was at for the month had the SM come up daily and tell the PM how the pharmacy was going to be ran that day. Such things like, "Yesterday it was 2.7 rings before the phone was picked up, let's get it down to 2.4" and "number of people waiting over the time was +30% compared to last week, why is that?" and all kinds of stuff to bust her balls.

She (PM) hated my guts for some reason, but admitted to me that she never would have stopped floating for Kroger had she known this would be the case.

Unfortunately you'll have those stores.

I will say though if their numbers were better that manager wouldn't have came back

Unfortunately you'll have those stores.

I will say though if their numbers were better that manager wouldn't have came back

You realize through your last statement you admit to a corporate practice of pharmacy. 5 years ago NABP spoke out against key performance metrics. Even Dominoes Pizza no longer gives a 30 minute guarantee for delivery.

You realize through your last statement you admit to a corporate practice of pharmacy. 5 years ago NABP spoke out against key performance metrics. Even Dominoes Pizza no longer gives a 30 minute guarantee for delivery.

And whats hilarious about this is probably almost all store managers couldn't process prescriptions nearly as good as the techs you have. "show me"

And whats hilarious about this is probably almost all store managers couldn't process prescriptions nearly as good as the techs you have. "show me"

Metrics are pointless, never even look at them since I already know they're perfect.

Metrics are pointless, never even look at them since I already know they're perfect.

So what is your key to success? Simply follow SOP, be a great leader, cultivate team goal/atmosphere, look out for patients, kiss ass to boss?

I've come close to beating/meeting all metrics but retaining great technicians is so hard! without good techs things have slowly fallen apart in my experience.

So what is your key to success? Simply follow SOP, be a great leader, cultivate team goal/atmosphere, look out for patients, kiss ass to boss?

I've come close to beating/meeting all metrics but retaining great technicians is so hard! without good techs things have slowly fallen apart in my experience.

His secret is working at a slow store with good techs.

His secret is working at a slow store with good techs.

Around 400 per day isn't slow.

Probably 70% of stores in my district meet the metrics. Whether you are at a 100 or 600 per day shouldn't determine if you meet metrics. One of our worst stores doesn't crack 200 and has two techs.

Good techs is the way to go and i have two DHs who are ready to step in for call offs or people quitting.

From my understanding you cannot move from RXM to DM directly, you have to go through being SM first?

It depends. Normally that's quite right (RXM to SM to DM or RXM to RXS to DM are the most common pathways). There have been exceptions made at times if they have the background (the UPS driver scenario) or there is a quid pro quo involved (a current VP who was born in Madagascar). Most of it is based on compatibility than anything else, just doing the qualifications puts your name in the ring.

While long term dms may be old store managers, most new ones are pharmacists.

What market are you in? Not a single one of the DM's in my WAG market is a pharmacist (and yes, a good portion of them are new). The last 2 DM's who were pharmacists quit for different jobs.

What market are you in? Not a single one of the DM's in my WAG market is a pharmacist (and yes, a good portion of them are new). The last 2 DM's who were pharmacists quit for different jobs.

I'm in the Midwest, when they dropped the supervisor position then did some rearrangements, a lot of old DMs were asked to go back to SM or leave the company. Since that day, whenever a position has opened up (which isn't often) it's always been filled with a pharmacist.

Perhaps it's just my area but I haven't had a non pharmacist as a DM in a while and have gone through three. Whenever they announce promotions for my area, they too have been pharmacists.

A non-hick market.

the Board took a very nasty position toward the idea of a non-pharmacist directing a pharmacist to do stuff (because of Revco and Walgreens pasts in the area).

Wish this happened in my state. Very ridiculous that non-RPh upper management tells the RPh how to run their pharmacy when they have no clue what works.

Wish this happened in my state. Very ridiculous that non-RPh upper management tells the RPh how to run their pharmacy when they have no clue what works.

I agree. This has always been how Walgreens is structured. Yes, some SM will leave you alone but when push comes to shove, the SM has authority over RXM. I have a colleague who is working as an SM now with his pharmD because he wants to be a DM. It's a shame that other people don't have to be an RXM to get promoted to DM.

I agree. This has always been how Walgreens is structured. Yes, some SM will leave you alone but when push comes to shove, the SM has authority over RXM. I have a colleague who is working as an SM now with his pharmD because he wants to be a DM. It's a shame that other people don't have to be an RXM to get promoted to DM.

What kind of pay cut did that require? And how long will he have to be a SM before eligible for promotion?

What kind of pay cut did that require? And how long will he have to be a SM before eligible for promotion?
Didn't ask him for specifics because I thought pay and such would be too personal. I don't know him like that. I'll ask next time I see him at his store.

It is track specific in SMT. Unless your Area (AVP) has something else as an issue, going from RXM to SM is not a paycut under normal circumstances if you have the right number of years as a RXM (your bonus does get affected, but I don't know the circumstances). However, you demote first to EXA until you have two to three SM sponsors through the gauntlet, then promote to SM. Those tracks are fairly competitive, but also, I'd say only about 1 in 10 or less actually promote from SM to higher. SM is usually where your career ends. SM to higher promotion is basically an availability matter, there's no guidelines at Deerfield for it. So, don't go into the track unless you would be ok with failing out and remaining an SM for your entire career.

BTW, an SM that never leaves the office and stocks shelves or does the little things, you're never going to make it to corporate. You want to know "an inspirational story"? Look up a Jim Kawashima, the very first DM for the newly created Phoenix North (which was a rescue project from the start for reasons known locally). "Mr. K" gets results (to the point where he's profiled in the HBR), but there's some other stories about how those results come about (I did learn vicariously from others about what happens when you crossed him). I've seen him at Deerfield when I come in for consulting jobs, so obviously, it did work out for him. He who survives, wins.

Make pharmacists even more interchangeable and drive down pay, I imagine