Walgreens pharmacy manager says I'm out of work indefinately...

Started by arkgal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arkgal

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got hired two months ago as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens. I was told I would have about 20 hours a week and would mainly be used for Tues-Thurs during the week. 3 weeks ago I called the pharmacy manager because I wasn't put on the schedule. She informed me district policy mandates she make the schedule 3 weeks in advance and that she didn't need me when I was available. So the 3 weeks is up and I call today to see when I could come back to work. She just told me she still doesn't need me when I'm available, she doesn't know when she will need me again. I asked her how she can hire me as a regular employee with said hours a week and then not work me. She said she didn't recall making those statements. The store manager confirmed to me that I was hired for days but she said she can't do anything. I called the pharmacy DM and am awaiting a return call. I feel completely screwed over. I am seeking advice here because I don't know any other pharmacists I can go to about this problem. Does this sound like BS? Does this kind of thing happen often? Retail pharmacy is putting a bad taste in my mouth.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got hired two months ago as a pharmacy tech at Walgreens. I was told I would have about 20 hours a week and would mainly be used for Tues-Thurs during the week. 3 weeks ago I called the pharmacy manager because I wasn't put on the schedule. She informed me district policy mandates she make the schedule 3 weeks in advance and that she didn't need me when I was available. So the 3 weeks is up and I call today to see when I could come back to work. She just told me she still doesn't need me when I'm available, she doesn't know when she will need me again. I asked her how she can hire me as a regular employee with said hours a week and then not work me. She said she didn't recall making those statements. The store manager confirmed to me that I was hired for days but she said she can't do anything. I called the pharmacy DM and am awaiting a return call. I feel completely screwed over. I am seeking advice here because I don't know any other pharmacists I can go to about this problem. Does this sound like BS? Does this kind of thing happen often? Retail pharmacy is putting a bad taste in my mouth.

Welcome to retail hell!!!

They do not value people at the big chains!! You are nothing more than flesh to them and they will use at their will or not.....
 
Something similiar happened to me with Walgreens. I was hired and never assigned to a store or given hours. A month and several phone calls later, I was told there were no openings for technicians. If you still want to work retail, just pick another chain. I wrote an e-mail to a CVS recruiter and had a job interview set up less than an hour later. Or you could try to find a hospital job.
 
Something similiar happened to me with Walgreens. I was hired and never assigned to a store or given hours. A month and several phone calls later, I was told there were no openings for technicians. If you still want to work retail, just pick another chain. I wrote an e-mail to a CVS recruiter and had a job interview set up less than an hour later. Or you could try to find a hospital job.

The problem is the pharm tech market in Little Rock is TIGHT. No one hardly ever leaves these jobs. It took me two years to get this job and it was by complete accident and lucky timing that I got it. In my area it's pretty much Walgreens, Kroger, Target and Wal-mart. CVS isn't in this market. ya da da some people have to work while they go to school. I've got my foot in the door on 2 non-pharm jobs but I was hoping to keep this job to get the experience for pharmacy school.
 
sorry to hear about ur situation

but the pharmacy manager is only given X-amount of hrs to give to clerks, techs, staff pharms

since you are part time, i guess the hours are going to full time techs to satisfy their hrs to remain fulltime

my suggestion......change ur availability......work weekends and nights........

also, ask pharmacy manager to call around nearby WAGS that needs help and you can work those stores

or

apply to another retail chain or hospital

good luck in ur work
 
since you are not unionized they dont have to give you a set minimum hours...better look elsewhere
 
sorry to hear about ur situation

but the pharmacy manager is only given X-amount of hrs to give to clerks, techs, staff pharms

since you are part time, i guess the hours are going to full time techs to satisfy their hrs to remain fulltime

my suggestion......change ur availability......work weekends and nights........

also, ask pharmacy manager to call around nearby WAGS that needs help and you can work those stores

or

apply to another retail chain or hospital

good luck in ur work

That's the thing...I'm availabe nights and weekends. Someone just came back from some kind of leave. Apparently there are no hours now. She is acting like she made it clear I would be used on an as need basis. No that's not what she told me in the interview. That is what is making me so angry. She assured me I would have regular hours knowing a tech was returning soon, and now her and the store manager are denying they said what they told me when I was hired. I've dealt with some less-than-sincere managers over the years but never had anyone two-face me before.

I called around and found another store that might need my help. We will see. This entire experience has been frustrating and discouraging. I thought I had found the perfect job. Walking on egg shells because I need a reference from a pharmacist to get into my state school and I don't want to make anyone mad.
 
Last edited:
That's the thing...I'm availabe nights and weekends. Someone just came back from some kind of leave. Apparently there are no hours now. She is acting like she made it clear I would be used on an as need basis. No that's not what she told me in the interview. I called around and found another store that might need my help. We will see. This entire experience has been frustrating and discouraging. I thought I had found the perfect job.

Retails sucks, period! I will use them for all I can!!

Because, they will use you!!!
 
Retails sucks, period! I will use them for all I can!!

Because, they will use you!!!

I'm starting to see that!

But, the big boss's admn assistant called. The DM wants to meet with me personally to see what's going on. I never asked for that. So, maybe some people do care....
 
I'm starting to see that!

But, the big boss's admn assistant called. The DM wants to meet with me personally to see what's going on. I never asked for that. So, maybe some people do care....

Dont hold your breath!! You will probably get some hrs but not what was promised. Just wait!! He will sound like a politician, lol!! 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad