Walgreens Pharmacy Technicians ||Click Here||

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shaun786

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a pharmacy tech for walgreens then you are probably familiar with the job application process. Well, I just finished step three of the job process today (acceptance of the job offer). I was wondering what happens now? When do I get called in to discuss my hourly wage and my schedule? On my Walgreens application I filled out $10 as the wage I will accept hourly. The manager has not said anything based on this the few times we have met. So does that mean he agrees with the wage I asked for? Please discuss your experience when first getting a job at Walgreens and if you can the hourly wage you started with...:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a pharmacy tech for walgreens then you are probably familiar with the job application process. Well, I just finished step three of the job process today (acceptance of the job offer). I was wondering what happens now? When do I get called in to discuss my hourly wage and my schedule? On my Walgreens application I filled out $10 as the wage I will accept hourly. The manager has not said anything based on this the few times we have met. So does that mean he agrees with the wage I asked for? Please discuss your experience when first getting a job at Walgreens and if you can the hourly wage you started with...:)

Ummm.... they're not applying to YOU, you're applying to THEM. If you take the job, you take it at whatever they say the pay rate is. If you accepted without finding out what your hourly wage is, that's on you- you still accepted the job.

You should still check- you can always ask the pharmacy manager "I'm sorry, I don't remember the starting pay. Could you please tell me again?" Don't expect to be able to negotiate that as a tech; you basically have two choices: take it, or leave it.

I really dont mind what my pay rate will be because this is my first job as a pharmacy tech and I do not have that much previous experience... That is why I didnt bring it up in the first interview... I was just happy I got a job there... This was my first ever job interview as well ... lol i thought it would be wise not to bring it up ... because i thought it would seem that im just after the payroll...

Members don't see this ad :)
The best way to get the money you want is to ask for more than you want. That is assuming they like you, meaning you have to kick *** at the interview.

If you want $15/hour, ask for $20/hour. Best case scenario is, you get $20/hour. Otherwise, they will negotiate downwards.

A big mistake I made at one job interview was that I said I want $8/hour, they pounced on it. Later, I found out that most people make $13/hour. So it is better to be too high than too low.

From what I've heard (from people in Austin,) Walgreens has one of the best pay growth rates for technicians, with performance-based raises up to every 3-4 months. One of my friends has been there a year, started at $9.75 and is up to $12.75 now. So even if you start low, just make sure you're eligible to received performance raises at the same rate as everyone else.

From what I've heard (from people in Austin,) Walgreens has one of the best pay growth rates for technicians, with performance-based raises up to every 3-4 months. One of my friends has been there a year, started at $9.75 and is up to $12.75 now. So even if you start low, just make sure you're eligible to received performance raises at the same rate as everyone else.

Nice, thanks for the info... For some reason technicians receive higher pay in Texas.... I have a friend in Dallas who started with $11.25 without any prior experience...Either that person got lucky or Wal-Mart pays real well...

Nice, thanks for the info... For some reason technicians receive higher pay in Texas.... I have a friend in Dallas who started with $11.25 without any prior experience...Either that person got lucky or Wal-Mart pays real well...

I believe you're from the Miami area because of your screen name... If so, Walgreens in FL just gave techs without the certification an increase to about $10. I don't think you're asking for too much especially in that area. I left Homestead about 2.5 years ago and was making $9.75. Goodluck!!

walgreens has upped their tech payscale recently..im assuming thats why you're friend got his or her raises so often...they pay decent, get certified and its an extra dollar an hour, become a senior tech and you get a bonus on top of the higher pay...not too shabby...as far as normal increases go, they will adjust you on your annual anniversary every year as well as your occasional market increase

I have worked at Walgreens in the Baltimore South district for 10 months now. A friend of mine was a technician at the store already, so she put in a good word for me. That helps A LOT. I applied online (as is the first step for everyone), spoke with the RxM on a few occasions, and finally was called in for an interview. It was all a formality as I already "unofficially" had the job. The RxM (pharmacy manager) asked me a few interview questions (general) and told me the payrate that is in their budget. All the techs were hired at the same base rate, with a $1 increase for technician license, and an annual review. I know nothing about this "3-4 month" review the other tech is talking about, but some districts may work differently. The most important thing is that the pharmacy actually needs a technician, and it is within their budget (especially hours, I believe my store is limited to 90 hrs/week). Keep calling every week to remind them, and hope for the best. Good luck.

I believe you're from the Miami area because of your screen name... If so, Walgreens in FL just gave techs without the certification an increase to about $10. I don't think you're asking for too much especially in that area. I left Homestead about 2.5 years ago and was making $9.75. Goodluck!!

lol no but close im actually from Hoover, AL which is right outside of Birmingham...thats a pretty strong wage ... I hope it works out for me...

I have worked at Walgreens in the Baltimore South district for 10 months now. A friend of mine was a technician at the store already, so she put in a good word for me. That helps A LOT. I applied online (as is the first step for everyone), spoke with the RxM on a few occasions, and finally was called in for an interview. It was all a formality as I already "unofficially" had the job. The RxM (pharmacy manager) asked me a few interview questions (general) and told me the payrate that is in their budget. All the techs were hired at the same base rate, with a $1 increase for technician license, and an annual review. I know nothing about this "3-4 month" review the other tech is talking about, but some districts may work differently. The most important thing is that the pharmacy actually needs a technician, and it is within their budget (especially hours, I believe my store is limited to 90 hrs/week). Keep calling every week to remind them, and hope for the best. Good luck.

Thanks for sharing your experience... I have received the position but now waiting to finalize and discuss hours and pay rate....

Thanks for sharing your experience... I have received the position but now waiting to finalize and discuss hours and pay rate....

You get a cost of living raise once a year, plus a anniversary raise. You also get raises based on whether you become certified, and whether you become a "senior tech". Other than that, you start at the bottom of the pay scale.

However, if you go for senior tech, you will get max pay automatically, but you have to become certified, work at least 32 hours, and the store needs to have the budget to allow you to become a senior tech.

Walgreen's is known to start you at a high rate if you have alot of experience as a tech. If you are a new tech (just got licensed), you won't be able to negotiate your pay, unless that particular store is desperate, or you sign up as a "floating tech".

Does anyone know how much a Certified Technician would make at Walgreens or a hospital? CVS is paying for my test, but unless they give me a raise after the test, I'm going to be changing flags since I'm not allowed to work for CVS and Walgreens at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I started at $8, no experience in 2005.......now i make $12 plus certified.......i got raise after i got certified, plus with walgreens they pay for your certification test and also they have free classes where they give you materials to study for the test.......also i got my first raise after 1 year and then again in 3 months......besides pay, i think walgreens has better technology system than any other retail, so it makes easy for new tech to adjust.......when i first started, i was like so clueless now i can anything that senior tech can do........Walgreens:thumbup:

I started at $8, no experience in 2005.......now i make $12 plus certified.......i got raise after i got certified, plus with walgreens they pay for your certification test and also they have free classes where they give you materials to study for the test.......also i got my first raise after 1 year and then again in 3 months......besides pay, i think walgreens has better technology system than any other retail, so it makes easy for new tech to adjust.......when i first started, i was like so clueless now i can anything that senior tech can do........Walgreens:thumbup:

Can I start working at a Walgreens if I have no prior experience [except volunteering]? I'd like to eventually work my way up to a certified technician.

My question, in other words, is can I start working as an uncertified technician? I live in Southern California, btw.

Does anyone know how much a Certified Technician would make at Walgreens or a hospital? CVS is paying for my test, but unless they give me a raise after the test, I'm going to be changing flags since I'm not allowed to work for CVS and Walgreens at the same time.

haha why can't you? is it in the contract? i thought about working for both companies at the same time just to compare how each one operates :laugh:.

Can I start working at a Walgreens if I have no prior experience [except volunteering]? I'd like to eventually work my way up to a certified technician.

My question, in other words, is can I start working as an uncertified technician? I live in Southern California, btw.

I am pretty sure that you have to become certified in order to be a tech in California. Otherwise you have to work as a clerk until you get your tech's license, which is what I did.

How do you find out what the normal pay is in a certain area? Would putting a lower than normal wage expectancy increase my chances of getting the job?

can you work in FL w/o being certified ?

can you work in FL w/o being certified ?

Yes, but it's becoming harder for Techs w/o Certification to get a job. If you can just register for the Certification Exam, read a book about it and take it. It's not hard at all, and that will increase your chances of getting a job tremendously.

This is a bit off topic. So apologies in advance. I just got a job as a pharm tech at walgreens last week. i have no previous experience and so have no clue how it works in a pharmacy. so i went in three days so far. the first day they let me do some filling. nothing official. just let me stand around and watch and do some filling with the other techs. the second day and today i have been doing PPL's. They haven't fixed my schedule or anything. just basically told me to come in whenever i can and do as much of the PPL's as I can and leave when I get tired of it. I am assuming they don't fix my schedule till after I complete it. They told me that I don't even have to come in work clothes. Today I went in jeans and stuff and did PPL's for about 6 hrs straight. They said I didn't have to punch in. So I am not gonna get paid for the training process? That doesn't sound right but then how can they pay me if I don't punch in? At the same time, how can they not pay me when I am spending hours at the store in front of the computer. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have never before worked in a pharmacy and don't know how things work. By the way, I am in Florida and not certified and the manager said my salary is $10.00 an hour.

This is a bit off topic. So apologies in advance. I just got a job as a pharm tech at walgreens last week. i have no previous experience and so have no clue how it works in a pharmacy. so i went in three days so far. the first day they let me do some filling. nothing official. just let me stand around and watch and do some filling with the other techs. the second day and today i have been doing PPL's. They haven't fixed my schedule or anything. just basically told me to come in whenever i can and do as much of the PPL's as I can and leave when I get tired of it. I am assuming they don't fix my schedule till after I complete it. They told me that I don't even have to come in work clothes. Today I went in jeans and stuff and did PPL's for about 6 hrs straight. They said I didn't have to punch in. So I am not gonna get paid for the training process? That doesn't sound right but then how can they pay me if I don't punch in? At the same time, how can they not pay me when I am spending hours at the store in front of the computer. Sorry if this is a stupid question. I have never before worked in a pharmacy and don't know how things work. By the way, I am in Florida and not certified and the manager said my salary is $10.00 an hour.
By way the way, how did you get the job ? did u walk in/apply online ? and which part of FL is that ? I plan on looking at walgreen around port orange/daytona beach.

Actually I know Walgreens does not hire often. I know one of the pharmacists there and she's been telling me for the past two years whenever vacancies opened up at her pharmacy but i kept putting it off to focus on school. Finally I got in and I could work and just in time too because some one left and there was a spot open. She told me and I applied and they called me for interviews. I heard that after they hired me two more people came for interviews. Just good timing. I am from Ft. Lauderdale. Anyways what do u guys think of my situation from my earlier post?

haha why can't you? is it in the contract? i thought about working for both companies at the same time just to compare how each one operates :laugh:.

Well, I know I'm definitely not a contract worker, but that's what the pharmacists I've worked with told me. Basically, they told me that I could do it if I want, but don't let either company know you're working for the other.

They are afraid of trade secrets being divulged.

Actually I know Walgreens does not hire often. I know one of the pharmacists there and she's been telling me for the past two years whenever vacancies opened up at her pharmacy but i kept putting it off to focus on school. Finally I got in and I could work and just in time too because some one left and there was a spot open. She told me and I applied and they called me for interviews. I heard that after they hired me two more people came for interviews. Just good timing. I am from Ft. Lauderdale. Anyways what do u guys think of my situation from my earlier post?

I did get paid when I started at walgreens for doing PPL. You might not have to punch in if you still don't have a number or if the number is not in the system. You can politely ask the manager about the situation.

Well, I know I'm definitely not a contract worker, but that's what the pharmacists I've worked with told me. Basically, they told me that I could do it if I want, but don't let either company know you're working for the other.

They are afraid of trade secrets being divulged.

Most companies, in any industry, not just pharmacy, will not allow you to work for a direct competitor. That is usually stated in the company policies when you accept the job. I believe at WAG it's in the yearly form we sign to consent to random drug tests, maintaining high moral/ethical standards at work, etc. Why would anybody want you to go across the street and help the competition? You could, for example, work at WAG and a hospital at the same time though. We have some pharmacists who work at WAG and Cardinal nuclear pharmacy also.

You absolutely will get paid for your training time. If you are not getting paid, it is payroll fraud, absolutely against company policy and one of the few terminatable offenses, meaning no warnings, a manager or employee can be fired for the first offense. (it is normally very hard to get fired from WAG accept for theft and harassment) It can take a few days for your info to update in the system so you can punch. They are probably manually putting in your times. Check with your manager though. It is company policy that you are paid for all work related time, even going to the tech exam review classes and the exam itself.

RxChick, you should be getting paid for training; I got paid when I did mine. Just make sure you leave a note or tell a manager the hours you worked until they get you a badge number so you can punch in. Have fun going through all those PPLs =]

Can I work at Walgreens as a clerk and then up to a tech? Has anyone done this?

You absolutely will get paid for your training time. If you are not getting paid, it is payroll fraud, absolutely against company policy and one of the few terminatable offenses, meaning no warnings, a manager or employee can be fired for the first offense. (it is normally very hard to get fired from WAG accept for theft and harassment) It can take a few days for your info to update in the system so you can punch. They are probably manually putting in your times. Check with your manager though. It is company policy that you are paid for all work related time, even going to the tech exam review classes and the exam itself.

I got the three digit number for punching in the first day and I did punch in those days and stuff. Just yesterday when I went the manager said I didn't have to. But I was there yesterday for six hours in front of that damn computer. But it wasn't my shift time or anything since well...i don't have a schedule yet. Like I said, I came in jeans, t-shirt, and flip flops. So maybe in that case I am not supposed to. Whatever it is, I am asking them tomorrow and I am punching in. Thanks guys.

kevintech:

I live in FL, so don't how anything about hiring system in Cali.....

kevintech:

I live in FL, so don't how anything about hiring system in Cali.....
I'm wondering if the PPL training is standard across the company? I finished my 80-hrs of training in 60-hrs (because I did basic in-window functions also). By the end of it...I HATED Zelda's voice. I hope to never run into her.

I'm wondering if the PPL training is standard across the company? I finished my 80-hrs of training in 60-hrs (because I did basic in-window functions also). By the end of it...I HATED Zelda's voice. I hope to never run into her.

ha ha! I hated that the program was so damn slow that you have to wait for it to register your key strokes- when in reality I could have filled that RX in a quarter of the time...

Can I work at Walgreens as a clerk and then up to a tech? Has anyone done this?

I actually only had to go thru this phase for 2 weeks. I took national pharm tech test and passed it before I applied for the job; however, in my state, we actually have to obtain that state license - no need for national one - to be able to count pills or touch any med bottles on the shelves. Anyhow, I started out as a cashier for a week, then got my state license, and finally I was able to count pills...:D...My friend, a co-worker, actually had to started out as a cashier, and he just got his license to count 2 months ago. He'd worked as a cashier for 7 months. The pay rate did go up when I got my state license (1 extra dollar), but I actually don't care about the money. I really just wanted the job for the heck of experience, and so far I loved it in spite of being nut sometimes due to some idiotic patients....;)

i started working at walgreens as a pharmacy tech in training about three months ago. Its pretty hard to get a job at a walgreens, unless you know somebody. Luckily I got the hook up because one of my friends work there.
starting Pay: $8:25 w/ no work experience.
Miami, Fl

If you've been accepted to Pharmacy school for next fall is relatively easy to get a position there. Just apply for their Internship Program in the summer and they'll call you. Even if you don't have a State Intern License or are enrolled in Pharmacy school like the website states.

i started working at walgreens as a pharmacy tech in training about three months ago. Its pretty hard to get a job at a walgreens, unless you know somebody. Luckily I got the hook up because one of my friends work there.
starting Pay: $8:25 w/ no work experience.
Miami, Fl

wow starting pay for Walgreens in Texas with no pharmacy work related experience when i started out 2 years ago was $11.25. but you have to be certified. i think the number might be higher now??

wow starting pay for Walgreens in Texas with no pharmacy work related experience when i started out 2 years ago was $11.25. but you have to be certified. i think the number might be higher now??

I am in Houston (Fort Bend district) and my starting pay was only $10.75 a year ago w/ no previous pharmacy experience.

I hated doing all those training modules. The one bit of entertainment was looking at the names of the addresses and towns of the pretend prescriptions. All of those names are based off of real towns/streets around Deerfield. Since I'm from that area, I just thought it was funny. My town is somewhere in the module, and also, a street near my house is in there too.

Well, I just found out how much I will be making at Walgreens which is $9.50 /hr .... I was hoping for $10 but im happy with $9.50... I have no experience in a pharmacy so I thought this wage to be fair.... What do you guys think? btw how is training?

Well I just started last week. I have been there for about four days counting today. The first day I got to fill all day. They showed me how to do it and then just let me do it all day. But the other three days I have been doing PPL's all day which is the computer training part. And they are long! I mean really. Long. They haven't fixed my schedule and I don't think they will until I am done. So for now they told me to come in whenever I can and do as much as I can take of it for a day and leave when I get tired. Today I thought was my last day which I thought was pretty quick compared to what everyone said. I was so relieved...until I saw "next page". I was like THERE IS ANOTHER PAGE?! Turns out there were four. Yay. So I think I have a few more days left of them. By the way to all those already done with this part, do they expect you to know everything just from the PPL training? Do they give you actual face to face training once you finish the PPL's? Are you on your own after you do the PPL's?

Well I just started last week. I have been there for about four days counting today. The first day I got to fill all day. They showed me how to do it and then just let me do it all day. But the other three days I have been doing PPL's all day which is the computer training part. And they are long! I mean really. Long. They haven't fixed my schedule and I don't think they will until I am done. So for now they told me to come in whenever I can and do as much as I can take of it for a day and leave when I get tired. Today I thought was my last day which I thought was pretty quick compared to what everyone said. I was so relieved...until I saw "next page". I was like THERE IS ANOTHER PAGE?! Turns out there were four. Yay. So I think I have a few more days left of them. By the way to all those already done with this part, do they expect you to know everything just from the PPL training? Do they give you actual face to face training once you finish the PPL's? Are you on your own after you do the PPL's?

Where are you training? From my experience, I didn't get around to finishing the PPLs b/c I spent most of my time getting the hands-on training...until the tech coordinator/recruiter found out and got mad at me :p Then I ended up spending a whole day completing the PPL's until my eyes glazed over. Anyways, you should be getting face to face training after you finish the PPLs (to apply what you've learned :rolleyes:). Also, depending on where you are, the training should go for about 4 weeks. Two weeks are spent doing PPLs and filling/typing. Then next 2 weeks are spent doing third party training. Then they send you off into the big wide world, if you're a floater. If not, then you get to stay in the store you applied to.

how did you apply for the job in Walgreen? did you apply online or walk in?

whatever you guys do, do not agree to join the tech floating pool.

The training module is horrible.

If you've been accepted to Pharmacy school for next fall is relatively easy to get a position there. Just apply for their Internship Program in the summer and they'll call you. Even if you don't have a State Intern License or are enrolled in Pharmacy school like the website states.

Really? How do you know this? I've been accepted to unc for the fall, applied via the website, and havent heard anything yet. I'm looking to leave my current slavedriver who insists on not giving my intern raise until the end of May. See my other posts to find out which company this is. :laugh:

I also applied to walgreens, did the online application and went in and took the test at the store. My question is, should I wait for a call back or go in to a couple of walgreens and see if they are hiring any pharm techs? Because I have a feeling that they probably wont hire me just from the application that I submitted online.

whatever you guys do, do not agree to join the tech floating pool.

Also, if the district tech coordinator calls you, hang up immediately. That's the first hint that they're gonna hire you as a floater (if you don't like floating). If you get a call from the pharmacy manager though, you should be safe.

Ok, if you apply as a Pharmacy Tech, they probably won't call you because I'm guessing they receive hundreds of applications. BUT, if you apply to their Summer Pharmacy Internship Program, they will call you, even if you haven't started pharmacy school and/or if you don't have an Intern License yet. Be careful when applying through Walgreens' website because Tech app and Intern app are 2 complete separate things. Even if you complete an application as a tech, that information won't show up at all for your Intern app.

This is the link for the program --> http://www.walgreens.com/about/careers/pharmacy/internship.jsp

and then you click online resume, which is not for submitting a resume (weird), just to fill out your info online as usual, and that's it.

I filled out 2 applications at the beginning of the month, one as a tech and another for that program. I have almost 4 years of experience in retail, hospital and psych hospital and haven't received any calls regarding the tech position. I received a call 2 days after about the intern position. And you can even pick a store close to your house ... pretty much the only reason I'm doing this program. Good luck guys!