Walgreens Pharmacy Technicians ||Click Here||

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how much a Certified Technician would make at Walgreens or a hospital? CVS is paying for my test, but unless they give me a raise after the test, I'm going to be changing flags since I'm not allowed to work for CVS and Walgreens at the same time.

I got hired at Walgreens about 3 months ago. I had no previous experience whatsoever. I was told that if you are PTCB certified, which I am, you get a higher pay rate. I'm in California and I started at $13.25 and hour.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering.... doesn't Walgreens (and other companies), as part of their application process for a tech position, require that you take a competency test, testing things like calculating dosages and matching generic to brand names, etc.? If a person has not had any experience working in a pharmacy before, how can he/she expect to score well and be hired? How much emphasis do they place on that screening test?

I really dont understant why it is so hard to get hired as a pharmacy tech. They are always short of help so I dont see the problem in hiring people. Especially in Florida where you dont need a Pharm tech license.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at a walgreens in california and I make 15.75 a hour. Its awesome for no schooling for it.

the training modules are soo long and boring. for me, they were a complete waste of time because I used to work for Happy Harry's pharmacy and then Walgreens bought out that chain. We had to learn the whole Walgreens system in about 2 days cuz everything changed and then a month later , they were like oh ...by the way..you have to complete these PPL's. So we basically did training on stuff we had learned a month ago..

got the job today.. CA license and CPhT.. starting $17/hr

better than Longs Drugs..

I just got hired at walgreens like a week ago and they are starting me at 15.75 cptb certified w/ no prior experience. Finally got through all the PPL's after three and half days.

Man, I live in LA area and NONE of the 10+ pharmacies I walked into said they needed a tech for summer. Well I guess it is because I'm only available for 3 months.

Regardless, I got my old job at a small retail store, but at minimum wage since I'm not officially a 'tech' at the store. Oh well.

So the store is brand new, and plan to open july 11th in the maryland area. I already submit my application online, is there a way to contact someone whether they received it or not? The application took at least 30 mins to finish and I don't even know if it went through all the way. Has anyone been in this situation?? I'm leaving CVS Pharmacy at the end of the month, but I would like to secure another job afterwards. Help.

If you are really interested in getting a job as a pharmacy technician at Walgreens your best option is to contact the district office and get a hold of the district pharmacy supervisor to express your interest. There job is to make sure that the district is adequately staffed and trained. They would find a training store for you and place you in a store where help is needed. The only word of advice is to not give the impression that this is a short term job (less than a year) otherwise you will most definitely not be given the time or day. People tend to forget the cost of training which accounts for a large part of Walgreens expenses.

hey, that's helpful... yeah i was at cvs for 2 yrs. long overdue for a new job. if i can get in touch w/ someone from the store that will be opening up, that would be fantastic. i know that cvs paid for all my classes and certification. :) thanks for your comment.

I've been working part time (2-3 days/week) at Walgreens for 1 year and half. I want to work full time now. Who should I talk to about this? I talked to my pharmacy manager but the store I'm currently working at doesn't need a full time tech. The pharmacy manager doesn't seem to care because he will relocate pretty soon.Thank you for any suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like I posted earlier, your best bet is to get in contact of the district pharmacy training supervisor in your district. They can find a store for you that is in need of help. This would be more efficient than calling every store and asking if they need help. That would be another option which is to just send an email to the district asking who has a position available. If you are a decent tech, I can tell you from experience that most pharmacies will take you in.

I've working at walgreens for about 3 weeks now, finished my ppls and am doing some hands-on training now. Yesturday my senior tech told me she would be testing me and to study my sig codes since that what everyone usually messes up on. Has anyone been tested like this before? I mean, after being hired, not the initial assessment test that's part of the application process. if so, what would be on the test.

I've working at walgreens for about 3 weeks now, finished my ppls and am doing some hands-on training now. Yesterday my senior tech told me she would be testing me and to study my sig codes since that what everyone usually messes up on. Has anyone been tested like this before? I mean, after being hired, not the initial assessment test that's part of the application process. if so, what would be on the test.

That's odd, either they care enough to make sure that you've learned your stuff, the senior tech's being arrogant or she's joking. I've never been tested on anything during the past year since I started. Anyways, everyone messes up on their sig codes at first (or they don't remember what anything stands for, like me:D) and if she's really testing you, then I would assume that it'd be on sig codes, basic insurances (ie, Blue Cross of CA - BCCAL), and measurement conversions. Sorry if this doesn't help.

i dont know if it's just me, but you you find working at walgreens a bit stressful?. Ive been working on for about a month and a half right now and i feel i dont have the proper training yet. It so busy that it seems like they dont have the time to properly train me. i was put on the floor with one pharmacist this weekend and we got soo backed up. Each individual task arent too bad, but when the phone keeps on ringing, people waiting at the register and two people sitting in the drive thru while you are trying to figure out why an insurance didnt go through, then having loads of rx to fill, i honestly feel its impossible to manage all the work at once.

wait until cough/cold season this time of the year is slow.

wait until cough/cold season this time of the year is slow.

Would you say that is a better time to apply for tech positions as well, or is there little correlation?

I did a lot of the pharmacy technician hiring for a while and would very rarely hire during cough/cold season simply because of how busy we were. The store I work at is unusual in that we average around 800 scripts during that season. But there were instances when you absolutely had to hire someone if you were short handed. So to answer your question, most people will hire during times when they arent busy so as to get the technicians ready for the busy season.

I just got hired at walgreens like a week ago and they are starting me at 15.75 cptb certified w/ no prior experience. Finally got through all the PPL's after three and half days.

:mad: not in Vegas.

As many narc heads that come in and pay cash for CIIs and ready to jump over the counter if told no I wish they paid that good for me.

So the store is brand new, and plan to open july 11th in the maryland area.

okay. the store's opening got pushed to Oct 24th. I had to submit my application again because it's only active for 60 days. Then, I did an in-store assessment test, it took me by surprise! I barely remember generic and brand, even though I left CVS 2 months ago. I contacted the district and found the manager in charge of the new store. He hopes the store will open on time, if not, they might push it back to next year!

Should I wait for this job, or start looking for another? If i get another job, and get an interview at Walgreens, how will I explain to the other job I have to leave if Walgreens' pay is better? I do not feel right doing that. I hate waiting for interviews! :mad:

did you have your license yet? or was it just the certificate and they still hired you?

I heard Walgreens offers a paid training program for people interested in becoming a pharmacy technician. Does anyone have any further information?

How do some of you get the job before you are even certified, with no experience, and have them pay the test for you? I would also like to follow this path some how.

I heard Walgreens offers a paid training program for people interested in becoming a pharmacy technician. Does anyone have any further information?
They do offer a paid training program. But, the trick is getting hired first. It seems like you have to know someone at the store you're applying at to get a job there. I tried for 2 years to get on with Walgreens. Then, I became friends with someone that worked there and got hired.

you dont clock in but you should write down your time to keep up with it yourself. You do get paid the training hours.i remember this process when i worked with walgreens.