Walgreens refuses to sell Plan B to men in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've posted this story elsewhere on this site, but here goes anyway.

At my last employer, Plan B was kept in the emergency room's dispensing machine, and restocked as needed. I could count on one hand the number of times I saw it refilled, although other pharmacists may say otherwise. When they decided to stock it, the director called a meeting and said he wanted to know if there were any (his words) conscientious objectors, although he didn't need to know just then. One did, however, speak up - a woman who was our clinical coordinator, so she would have had little exposure to this anyway.

This was when the story about the 11 refills came up.

And then there was that time when 3 siblings came into the ER for a sexual assault check (they were probably being examined there before going into foster care; these exams were done routinely on such children :( ) and one of the techs said, "Wow, we're going to use a lot of Plan B!" and I said, "I kind of doubt it. They're preteens, and they're all boys anyway."

Huh? Random. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

The tech saw something like "Possible sexual assault" as the ER visit reason, without looking at their names or ages which were also on this particular screen.

The tech saw something like "Possible sexual assault" as the ER visit reason, without looking at their names or ages which were also on this particular screen.

I'm just not sure what your point was or how bringing up three sexually abused children added anything to this discussion. It's certainly not funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just not sure what your point was or how bringing up three sexually abused children added anything to this discussion. It's certainly not funny.

It wasn't meant to be funny. The tech saw three people whose ER visit reason was "possible sexual assault" and without checking further assumed they would need Plan B. That's all.

ETA: Many years ago, I worked at a hospital that had the patients' addresses on the Addressograph, and one day, we had a small child in peds for some routine small child problem, and she was discovered to have an STD. :eek: Some people said, "What do you expect from the RST Trailer Park?", which looked almost like something from present-day Haiti, and I replied, "This kind of thing happens in the EFG Wealthy Neighborhood too."

I guess you missed the ":(" in his post.

Then don't read it.

:rolleyes:
I'll continue to read and comment as I see fit. You like to insert random facts into your anecdotes. I think this one seemed particularly random and in questionable taste. I think I'm just especially sensitive about things that concern crimes against children. That's just my opinion.

:rolleyes:
I'll continue to read and comment as I see fit. You like to insert random facts into your anecdotes. I think this one seemed particularly random and in questionable taste. I think I'm just especially sensitive about things that concern crimes against children. That's just my opinion.

With respect, I think what you mean to say is that rph likes to insert random anecdotes into her facts. :laugh:

Or random anecdotes into his stories. Or something. I think rph is a boy. Maybe. *shrug*

Somehow "her" stories make me think she is a girl. I seem to recall something about being in a knitting club or something. I could be way off.

Yes, I am a woman, and I told those stories because I felt they were relevant to the discussion. Feel free to disagree.

Has anyone here ever refused to dispense fertility drugs? When I was in retail, there was a woman who got them from another pharmacist there (she was on Medicaid but paid cash for them) and while giving further details might reveal her identity, let's just say if I had gotten that prescription, I would have refused to fill it. The only way she got that prescription, that I can think of, is that she threatened to sue the doctor if that doctor refused to write for them.

As it happened, she did not have a Frankenlitter but she sure tried. :mad:

Just curious why you'd refuse to give this woman her fertility drugs. Yes, she's on Medicaid, but a lot of poor women suffer from infertility. Being on Medicaid, she wouldn't have enough money to adopt, and fertility drugs may be the only way she could have kids. As long as she's willing to pay for the drugs herself, why shouldn't she get them?

I guess I can see if you had a legitimate reason (suspected child abuse, suspected addict, or perhaps not able to support several children she already had). But just because she's poor doesn't mean she shouldn't have a child.

I guess I can see if you had a legitimate reason (suspected child abuse, suspected addict, or perhaps not able to support several children she already had).

All of the above, and then some. :(

I've posted this story elsewhere on this site, but here goes anyway.

At my last employer, Plan B was kept in the emergency room's dispensing machine, and restocked as needed. I could count on one hand the number of times I saw it refilled, although other pharmacists may say otherwise. When they decided to stock it, the director called a meeting and said he wanted to know if there were any (his words) conscientious objectors, although he didn't need to know just then. One did, however, speak up - a woman who was our clinical coordinator, so she would have had little exposure to this anyway.

This was when the story about the 11 refills came up.

And then there was that time when 3 siblings came into the ER for a sexual assault check (they were probably being examined there before going into foster care; these exams were done routinely on such children :( ) and one of the techs said, "Wow, we're going to use a lot of Plan B!" and I said, "I kind of doubt it. They're preteens, and they're all boys anyway."

The story about the clinical coordinator has relevance to the original story posted, but I don't see the link between the story of the sexual assault to children and discretionary overview of a pharmacist selling medication to legal adults.

The story about the clinical coordinator has relevance to the original story posted, but I don't see the link between the story of the sexual assault to children and discretionary overview of a pharmacist selling medication to legal adults.

That was my point, exactly. Glad I'm not the only one. :)