wall street journal article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubenk1

Pain Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the famous WSJ article that fed into the mid-90's frenzy regarding the "death of anesthesiology"? I've been told about this article on the interview trail and am curious about it's content.

Members don't see this ad.

rubenk1 said:
Does anyone have a link to the famous WSJ article that fed into the mid-90's frenzy regarding the "death of anesthesiology"? I've been told about this article on the interview trail and am curious about it's content.

I was in med school back then. The article came out right after the match.
The article focused on a poor guy who was fellowship trained in thoracic anesthesia. He was in southern California and could not find a job. He was offered 85,000 by a group and refused the offer. He ended up driving up and down southern California struggling to survive by working locums for various hospitals.

Many med students were influenced by this article (yours truly included).
Some guys retrained others stayed at the programs where they did their prelim year. It was a bad situation that was not as bad as it was portrayed.
I was steered away from gas by my mentor who read the article.

The lesson here is, never believe everything that you hear or read.

CambieMD

It was in the March 17, 1995 edition. You can access it online, but you need a subscription (personal or institutional), which you probably have through your medical school library.

Leinie

Members don't see this ad :)
Leinie said:
It was in the March 17, 1995 edition. You can access it online, but you need a subscription (personal or institutional), which you probably have through your medical school library.

Leinie

so do anesthesiologist still just make 85k??

HEME-ONC said:

Yes. Yes they do. However in another ongoing thread the proposed yearly salary is ~$120,000/yr. So I suppose you can believe which ever source you find most credible. On the one hand you have some anonymous poster and the other an article written in 1995 (by the Wall Street Journal no less) which previous posters in this thread have allready alluded may not portray accurate information. Can you believe that!!!! The Wall Street Journal print an article with skewed facts or just plain untruths. Whats the world coming to? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

HEME-ONC said:
Check out Gaswork.com to see what an anesthesiologist can actually make.