WALMART authority

Started by jupiterOD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
math/taxes/banter aside. doesn't wallyworld pay by patient volume?
This is what I was thinking. I think it depends on the different state laws. I'm in a state where an OD can't be employed by a corporation like that, so all the ODs are independent contractors.

They take home their exam fees minus a certain percentage. Walmart likes to get 20%, but there are a few I know of who have been in it for a while that were able to talk them down to 15% or MAYYYYBE 10%. I talked to a store manager once just to see what it was like, and she was not negotiable on this. If you're there extra days it might be a lower percentage, and certain holidays they call "free days" (but who's really going to want to work then). Most of the Walmart ODs I know of charge about $50 for an exam and see patients on the half hour. But then there's no benefits, either.
 
Don't diss the WallyWorld! I worked there and worked closely w/ an excellent OD that makes a very nice living w/ a very nice schedule and lifestyle as well. I used to calculate the checks daily. The nice thing of Wal Mart is that you don't need to worry about ordering glasses - you pay a percentage of your monthly income to Wal Mart to pay for the equipment usage. This is exactly what I'd like to when I graduate Optometry school.