WALMART authority

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jupiterOD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i've come to realize from this forum I will probably be working as a Walmart OD when I graduate. Well what is the starting salary of an OD at a walmart for a new graduate and since eveyrone says they dont want to work at WM im assuming you can always get an OD job there so thats what im gonna do!

Im sure since there's alot of Ods who have worked there, what was your salary package offered??????

Of course your walmart at your location will be a lil diffferent from othe rlocations but everyone can surely share their experience. I am so sick of reading about salaries in the 45-50k range and then salaries 100k.

Then what about this ad i found which seems AMAZING!
Optometrist

Cohen's - Middletown, NY OPTOMETRIST FT/PT Optometrist needed in busy op- tical loc in Duchess & Orange Cty. $60/ hr plus benefit. Flexible schedule. Avail immediately.

Id die for this job so what's the deal? there's a few questions in this posting, feel free to answer as many as you can or any other responses would be super!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok i've come to realize from this forum I will probably be working as a Walmart OD when I graduate. Well what is the starting salary of an OD at a walmart for a new graduate and since eveyrone says they dont want to work at WM im assuming you can always get an OD job there so thats what im gonna do!

Im sure since there's alot of Ods who have worked there, what was your salary package offered??????

Of course your walmart at your location will be a lil diffferent from othe rlocations but everyone can surely share their experience. I am so sick of reading about salaries in the 45-50k range and then salaries 100k.

Optometrist

Cohen's - Middletown, NY OPTOMETRIST FT/PT Optometrist needed in busy op- tical loc in Duchess & Orange Cty. $60/ hr plus benefit. Flexible schedule. Avail immediately.

Id die for this job so what's the deal? there's a few questions in this posting, feel free to answer as many as you can or any other responses would be super!

WHY would you want to work at Wallyworld after 8 years of school?

The End.

I was also under the impression that Walmart and corporate locations pay by patient volume. How can they advertise $60 an hour, is it some type of an "average" or prediction by the employer?

Members don't see this ad :)

You let down each and every one of your colleagues in the optometry community with words like this. Please refrain from dipping so low, you're time and talents are worth more than this.

Optometrist

So much of any business is location, location, location. If you have a practice in Manhattan, you serve very wealthy people and live a very nice life. But you also have to dress ridiculously well and drive a very nice car to keep up with your neighbors. And your rent or commercial parcel mortgage will be ridiculous.

If you practice in the middle of Kansas, you will probably make much less but your rent/commercial mortgage will be much less. And your home will probably be much less. Different strokes for different folks.

Optometrist

jupiterOD, if you had known that you're career will require you to work in a place where people routinely disrespect you, would you have chosen a different career ?

That position offering 60/hr may seem appealing. Lets break it down:

60/hr= 9600/month=96k/yr, if work 9-5, mon-fri, for 10 months.

thats gross pay.

since you are in a higher tax bracket, expect to have a higher tax rate; say around 38%.

96k x.62 = $59, 250.

You net, i.e. after taxes, $59,000.

Optometrist

LOL!! you'd die to get a job at wal-mart

Think of it this way in the 8 plus years you will have worked to get your OD you could have just applied to wal-mart without even finishing high school and your dreams would have come true because you'd probably be a store manager or even better yet the optical store (box, closet, w/e you wanna call it) manager by now:D

To all the posters who say they only work there to pay down loans - you don't need any OD degree to work at walmart so do yourself a favour and start working there straight out of high-school, this way you got no loans to worry about and get to work at wally-world (win-win situation if you ask me!)

jupiterOD, if you had known that you're career will require you to work in a place where people routinely disrespect you, would you have chosen a different career ?

That position offering 60/hr may seem appealing. Lets break it down:

thats gross pay.

since you are in a higher tax bracket, expect to have a higher tax rate; say around 38%.

96k x.62 = $59, 250.

96K will be at 28% tax bracket. Megaton, you are an asset to the forums.

and if you want to get technical :
60/hour *40 hours per week *52 = 124800. I can't even figure out where you got your number from. Still in the 28% bracket. But its actually only 23.17% when you do the math right. So the total tax=28,922. So your net income = 95,878. But in case you have never filed taxes before, you will be deducting many other things, getting credits for your interest on your school loans, etc, so it will still be higher than that.

96K will be at 28% tax bracket. Megaton, you are an asset to the forums.

28% federal, 10% state= 38% tax rate.

These attempts to demote me are quite pathetic yet hilarious.

thats gross pay.

96k x.62 = $59, 250.

What happened to the other 2 months? Even if you get vacation time, you are still paid for it. This figure is waaaaaaaaaay off.

The old rule of thumb of converting hourly wage to a years income is done by simply double the rate and x $1000. This internet calculator came up with $124,800.

http://www.wedolegal.com/Wage Calculator.htm

If it wasnt for the few Docs that visit these pages, this site would be unbearable.

Members don't see this ad :)
and if you want to get technical :
60/hour *40 hours per week *52 = 124800. I can't even figure out where you got your number from. Still in the 28% bracket. But its actually only 23.17% when you do the math right. So the total tax=28,922. So your net income = 95,878. But in case you have never filed taxes before, you will be deducting many other things, getting credits for your interest on your school loans, etc, so it will still be higher than that.

This is funny. your gonna be working every week of the month for the whole year? unlikely.

More like 10 months so around 42 weeks.

28% federal tax, 10% state tax= 38% (if your gonna have a lower tax rate, your gonna have to work in an area with a lower salary, so it balances out)

60/hour *40 hours per week *42 = $100000

100k X .62 = $60,000

What happened to the other 2 months? Even if you get vacation time, you are still paid for it. This figure is waaaaaaaaaay off.

The old rule of thumb of converting hourly wage to a years income is done by simply double the rate and x $1000. This internet calculator came up with $124,800.

http://www.wedolegal.com/Wage%20Calculator.htm

If it wasnt for the few Docs that visit these pages, this site would be unbearable.

not true, depends on the employer.

that internet calc does not take into account the current federal/state tax rate.

This is funny. your gonna be working every week of the month for the whole year? unlikely.

28% federal tax, 10% state tax= 38% (if your gonna have a lower tax rate, your gonna have to work in an area with a lower salary, so it balances out)

100k X .62 = $60,000

wow, 10 out of 12 months of the year!? You will be an excellent optometrist and have lots of patients! And you will also make an excellent accountant with all of your tax skills.

100k X .62 = $60,000

*sigh*

1) No state has a 10% tax rate

2) The 28% tax rate is a marginal rate. It's only 28% of your income above a certain amount

3) Student loans, home mortgage, business expenses among a whole host of other things are deducted substantially reducing your tax bill.

Have you ever had to file a return based on anything other than your summer job at Wendy's?

Seriously....I don't talk about money much on here because everyone's situation is different but I can tell you that I made a multi 6 figure income last year and I paid less taxes than what you're claiming would be due for this $95000 per year job.

*sigh*

1) No state has a 10% tax rate

2) The 28% tax rate is a marginal rate. It's only 28% of your income above a certain amount

3) Student loans, home mortgage, business expenses among a whole host of other things are deducted substantially reducing your tax bill.

Have you ever had to file a return based on anything other than your summer job at Wendy's?

Seriously....I don't talk about money much on here because everyone's situation is different but I can tell you that I made a multi 6 figure income last year and I paid less taxes than what you're claiming would be due for this $95000 per year job.

1) california has a tax rate of >10%

2) 28% tax rate applies to income between 70k-130k (around that)

3) Student loans, home mortgage, business expenses among a whole host of other things require payment. These payments will come from your already low salary, so it balances out.

Whoever said you needed to be part of the system to understand the system?

wow, 10 out of 12 months of the year!? You will be an excellent optometrist and have lots of patients! And you will also make an excellent accountant with all of your tax skills.

lol.

just because ive prooved you wrong, doesnt mean you have to start attacking me. :sleep:

anyways, good luck finding 10 months to work. dont tell me that you belive the addition of 3 new schools will allow for more work or a higher salary.

megaton -

where on God's green earth are you learning that we only work 10 months a year? Tell me who is giving 8-10 weeks of vacation. I'm really curious.

megaton -

where on God's green earth are you learning that we only work 10 months a year? Tell me who is giving 8-10 weeks of vacation. I'm really curious.

I think KHE nailed it when he said Wendy's. :)

megaton -

2 weeks of vacation is probably more like it.

LOL!! you'd die to get a job at wal-mart

Think of it this way in the 8 plus years you will have worked to get your OD you could have just applied to wal-mart without even finishing high school and your dreams would have come true because you'd probably be a store manager or even better yet the optical store (box, closet, w/e you wanna call it) manager by now:D

To all the posters who say they only work there to pay down loans - you don't need any OD degree to work at walmart so do yourself a favour and start working there straight out of high-school, this way you got no loans to worry about and get to work at wally-world (win-win situation if you ask me!)

Hmm, I like this kid.

megaton -

where did you learn that ods work more than 10 months a year?

I think KHE nailed it when he said Wendy's. :)

says the female who feels threatend because people ignore her.

and lol, i would never work at wendy's. thats something people like you would do.

:laugh: 10months working out of the year.

where did you learn that ods work more than 10 months a year?

Are you kidding me? You really, seriously think OD's work 10 months a year. Do you think they have summer vacations?

IndianaOD - I know. I'm just trying to figure out where this guy's brain is.

:laugh: 10months working out of the year.

whats more funny is that people on this board point at other variables when they are faced with a fact that is unfavourable to them.

Are you kidding me? You really, seriously think OD's work 10 months a year. Do you think they have summer vacations?

IndianaOD - I know. I'm just trying to figure out where this guy's brain is.

unless you can provide some evidence as to why 10 months of work is not satisfactory, then you should really not be testing my original claim.

3) Student loans, home mortgage, business expenses among a whole host of other things require payment. These payments will come from your already low salary, so it balances out.

I'm really wondering if you've ever filed an income tax return in your life.

1) Where, in the name of Christ are you finding that CA has a tax rate of >10%?

2) 28% is the MARGINAL RATE for THAT TAX BRACKET! It's not what you pay on your total income!

3) Student loans, home loans, business expenses require payment whether you are an OD or any other career in the universe.

It's clear that you are clueless about the "system."

PS: This thread aggravated me so much because of the idiocy of "megaton" that I took the time to pull out my tax returns for the past 3 years. All three years had a multi six figure income and the total amount of taxes paid at the federal and state level came out to the following:

2006: 18%
2007: 16%
2008: 13%

Students and prospective students out there: Megaton has shown time and time again during his brief tenure on here that he does not know s*it from putty. He is at best an idiot and at worst a troll. I strongly encourage you to not feed that troll.

Last edited:

I am not a financial expert, nor am I an optometrist yet, but this is as much as I can understand so far.

Student loans, home mortgage, business expenses, retirement contributions, and other tax deductible liabilities all reduce your overall tax liability, thereby directly increasing your net income. Yes, all these payments will reduce your discretionary income per year, but they are applied to your equity, rather than taxes, so it doesn't really balance out as a lower income. It's less play-money, but more for your net worth. It's not as simple as x amount after tax, and then y amount less than that taxed figure.

$60,000 after tax may not sound like much, but most job incomes that we hear about are before-tax figures. It's important to keep that in mind when comparing among salaries.

I'm really wondering if you've ever filed an income tax return in your life.

1) Where, in the name of Christ are you finding that CA has a tax rate of >10%?

2) 28% is the MARGINAL RATE for THAT TAX BRACKET! It's not what you pay on your total income!

3) Student loans, home loans, business expenses require payment whether you are an OD or any other career in the universe.

It's clear that you are clueless about the "system."

PS: This thread aggravated me so much because of the idiocy of "megaton" that I took the time to pull out my tax returns for the past 3 years. All three years had a multi six figure income and the total amount of taxes paid at the federal and state level came out to the following:

2006: 18%
2007: 16%
2008: 13%

Students and prospective students out there: Megaton has shown time and time again during his brief tenure on here that he does not know s*it from putty. He is at best an idiot and at worst a troll. I strongly encourage you to not feed that troll.

1) Jeez: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

2) Fine. it does not make a difference.
proof:
INCOME--MARIGINAL RATE----AMT TAXABLE----TAX OWED
20K 10% 20K 2K
20-40K 20% 20K 4K
40-60K 30% 20K 6K
60-100K 40% 40K 16K
TOTAL FEDERAL TAX OWED ON A 96K GROSS SALARY=28K
TOTAL STATE TAX OWED ON A 96K GROSS SALARY= 10K
GRAND TOTAL=38K
96k-38k= 60k
3) no really. this was not even a point to include in net salary factors/calculations.

Your numbers are lies or miscalculations. Ain't no way you are being taxed 13% on an income. Or there are other factors which are reducing your tax rate which is not common among regular employees.

I would not be so fast to call me an idiot, when you are not capable of finding the state tax rate of a particular state. You would think one would know the highest state tax rate of the United States of America, especially someone who is aware of his/her tax rates during the past 3 years.

1) Jeez: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_income_tax

2) Fine. it does not make a difference.
proof:
INCOME--MARIGINAL RATE----AMT TAXABLE----TAX OWED
20K 10% 20K 2K
20-40K 20% 20K 4K
40-60K 30% 20K 6K
60-100K 40% 40K 16K
TOTAL FEDERAL TAX OWED ON A 96K GROSS SALARY=28K
TOTAL STATE TAX OWED ON A 96K GROSS SALARY= 10K
GRAND TOTAL=38K
96k-38k= 60k
3) no really. this was not even a point to include in net salary factors/calculations.

Your numbers are lies or miscalculations. Ain't no way you are being taxed 13% on an income. Or there are other factors which are reducing your tax rate which is not common among regular employees.

I would not be so fast to call me an idiot, when you are not capable of finding the state tax rate of a particular state. You would think one would know the highest state tax rate of the United States of America, especially someone who is aware of his/her tax rates during the past 3 years.

My God....I can't believe I'm engaging this *****...

1) Your stupid wikipedia reference only shows a tax rate of 10.3% for people in CA making OVER a million dollars a year. I don't live in California so why I would know or care that CA is the highest state tax in the land is beyond me.

2) I'm sure glad you're not my accountant. Your exercise is grossly inaccurate.

But, for the sake of showing the universe what a chooch you are, let's walk through a BASIC tax return for a California resident who earns EXACTLY $100,000.

The absolute WORST case scenario would be that you would have no deductions other than your own personal exemption of $3500. So your adjusted gross income would be $96500. If you had NO itemized deductions whatsoever, which would be almost impossible for any OD, you would take the standard deduction of $5450. This would make your taxable income $91050.

From the official California tax tables:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_540tt.pdf

California offers it's own SEPARATE standard deduction which for the sake of this exercise I'll even IGNORE! Let's go with the $96500 AGI.

California Tax would then be: $2071.76 plus 9.3% of the amount over 47055 which is: $6670.50 Right of the bat this is less than 10%.

For federal taxes: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

Taxable income in our case is $91050.

Therefore, federal taxes would be: $15698.75 + 28% of the amount OVER 77100 which is $19604.74

Therefore, total federal and state taxes for this absolute worse possible case scenario of a single filer in the state of California is $26275.25 on a gross income of $100000. (In fact, the worst case scenario is even BETTER than what I've shown here because I did NOT take into account Californias own standard deductions.)

Now how, in the name of Christ can you call that 38%?

So a gross of 100k with all the deductions you would probably get, you would keep how much? Your worst case scenario was about 75k, best case or average I guess would be 80-85k? I don't really know how much deductions add up to.

My God....I can't believe I'm engaging this *****...

1) Your stupid wikipedia reference only shows a tax rate of 10.3% for people in CA making OVER a million dollars a year. I don't live in California so why I would know or care that CA is the highest state tax in the land is beyond me.

2) I'm sure glad you're not my accountant. Your exercise is grossly inaccurate.

But, for the sake of showing the universe what a chooch you are, let's walk through a BASIC tax return for a California resident who earns EXACTLY $100,000.

The absolute WORST case scenario would be that you would have no deductions other than your own personal exemption of $3500. So your adjusted gross income would be $96500. If you had NO itemized deductions whatsoever, which would be almost impossible for any OD, you would take the standard deduction of $5450. This would make your taxable income $91050.

From the official California tax tables:

http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2008/08_540tt.pdf

California offers it's own SEPARATE standard deduction which for the sake of this exercise I'll even IGNORE! Let's go with the $96500 AGI.

California Tax would then be: $2071.76 plus 9.3% of the amount over 47055 which is: $6670.50 Right of the bat this is less than 10%.

For federal taxes: http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/article/0,,id=164272,00.html

Taxable income in our case is $91050.

Therefore, federal taxes would be: $15698.75 + 28% of the amount OVER 77100 which is $19604.74

Therefore, total federal and state taxes for this absolute worse possible case scenario of a single filer in the state of California is $26275.25 on a gross income of $100000. (In fact, the worst case scenario is even BETTER than what I've shown here because I did NOT take into account Californias own standard deductions.)

Now how, in the name of Christ can you call that 38%?

http://dbaron.org/views/taxes-2007.html

You've made a mistake somewhere in you're calculations.

http://dbaron.org/views/taxes-2007.html

You've made a mistake somewhere in you're calculations.

My friend...

I don't know how old you are, or where you are at in your professional life. But trust me on this one.....I've had a lot of experience with this and on this issue, I'm right.

Your little link is from some dude who by his own admission admits that some of his calculations may be off.

If you don't believe me, that little exercise I went through took me about 7 minutes to run through and type it up. Go ahead online, look up the CA and Federal tax rates for a person making $100000 and you will come up with the exact same thing that I did which is substantially less in taxes than what you have claimed.

Even if you're making over $100k , you're not paying 38% in taxes. (unless you're adding in 10% for CA state tax.. which seems REALLY REALLY High)

Your home mortgage, investments, business expenses, etc are all going to count toward your deductions to lower your tax rate. As ODs you're ALWAYS going to be filing the long form. I have my accountant do my business return and my husband and I file our own personal returns.

KHE is dead on with his calculations. I just had to back him up as another fellow practicing OD who just finished filing tax forms two weeks ago. I don't have to deal with state taxes, though.. so i can't comment on the CA part.

My friend...

I don't know how old you are, or where you are at in your professional life. But trust me on this one.....I've had a lot of experience with this and on this issue, I'm right.

Your little link is from some dude who by his own admission admits that some of his calculations may be off.

If you don't believe me, that little exercise I went through took me about 7 minutes to run through and type it up. Go ahead online, look up the CA and Federal tax rates for a person making $100000 and you will come up with the exact same thing that I did which is substantially less in taxes than what you have claimed.

You're not an accountant; that dude in that link is not an accountant, nor am I for that matter.

for the sake of my argument, i believe his calculations to be more accurate. It even says:

"Marginal income tax rates for a single California resident with only wage income, 2007"

you even stated you're not from CA. Calculations of state+federal tax from a resident actually living in CA sound more accurate than calculations coming from a person who did not even know California had the highest state tax rate.

Once again, you get taxed 38% if you make 100,000 (the graph proves it as well), boiling down your net to 60k.

You're not an accountant; that dude in that link is not an accountant, nor am I for that matter.

for the sake of my argument, i believe his calculations to be more accurate. It even says:

"Marginal income tax rates for a single California resident with only wage income, 2007"

you even stated you're not from CA. Calculations of state+federal tax from a resident actually living in CA sound more accurate than calculations coming from a person who did not even know California had the highest state tax rate.

Once again, you get taxed 38% if you make 100,000 (the graph proves it as well), boiling down your net to 60k.

As someone who spent 15 years doing my own taxes (in three different states) before turning it over to the professionals, I can assure you with 100% certainty that my calculations are correct. If you wish to invest 7 minutes of your time, you can easily prove it to yourself using the official tax tables from both the state of California and the federal government.

A $100000 does not result in a $38000 tax bill. Even in California. Impossible.

SO who cares about the taxes taken out. Optometry is not the only career with taxes taken out. Yes you make more so you get taxed more, not 38%, but thats besides the point.

And the job quoted isn't even in CA, so what difference does the state tax in CA bear on a NY job?

math/taxes/banter aside. doesn't wallyworld pay by patient volume?

As someone who spent 15 years doing my own taxes (in three different states) before turning it over to the professionals, I can assure you with 100% certainty that my calculations are correct. If you wish to invest 7 minutes of your time, you can easily prove it to yourself using the official tax tables from both the state of California and the federal government.

A $100000 does not result in a $38000 tax bill. Even in California. Impossible.

Why dont you spend <1 minute, to point out where I am wrong and where that person in the link above is wrong?

He's even got graphs!

SO who cares about the taxes taken out. Optometry is not the only career with taxes taken out. Yes you make more so you get taxed more, not 38%, but thats besides the point.

And the job quoted isn't even in CA, so what difference does the state tax in CA bear on a NY job?

because the state tax in NY is almost as high as the state tax rate in CA.

Why dont you spend <1 minute, to point out where I am wrong and where that person in the link above is wrong?

He's even got graphs!

Here you go straight from the horses mouth: "I probably made a whole bunch of mistakes here."

Here you go straight from the horses mouth: "I probably made a whole bunch of mistakes here."

So? The difference is that he admitted that he could have made a mistake, and KHE didn't.

So? The difference is that he admitted that he could have made a mistake, and KHE didn't.

Because KHE believes he did it right. Why would you say you did something wrong if you believe you did it right? Logic much?

Are we arguing about taxation? Let's say the rate is 40%. How is that related to optometry? Will an optometrist pay 40% while a lawyer (making the same amount) pays 10%? Maybe the lawyer pays 40% and the opt. gets stuck with 70%.:idea:

Are we arguing about taxation? Let's say the rate is 40%. How is that related to optometry? Will an optometrist pay 40% while a lawyer (making the same amount) pays 10%? Maybe the lawyer pays 40% and the opt. gets stuck with 70%.:idea:

Mercifully I see that that lunatic has been banned but I picked up my tax returns yesterday from the accountant. I made a multi-six figure income and my overall tax rate was 15.7%.

So as if you had any doubt, that nut job doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.