Walmart cut in pay/terminations ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine98*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any truth/word on this?

Can anyone working at Walmart say anything about this?

"Walmart's new directives.

"Many Walmart Rphs are in the mid to high 60's per hour pay rate. The new goal... is to have pharmacy managers at 55 per hour and staff at 52 per hour. This info came from a market manager that was at meeting in Arkansas last week.

"They are not terminating people for the usual business metrics like the three letter chain or for immunization metrics, but rather policy and procedures. The biggest area for terminations is coming from pharmacists using the restroom. Most Walmarts have a restroom within the gated area, however according to the policy and procedures below this leaves the pharmacy unattended and out of sight.

"The policy and procedures trump state laws that require a RPh to be in the building....according to Walmart they need to have the pharmacy in sight. One such Pharmacist was more than 3 feet out of the OTC section while helping a patient and was fired.

"Bathroom breaks are only at lunch when the pharmacy is closed. If you can help in any way it would be greatly appreciated. Many have been terminated for the bathroom thing and of course were replaced with someone will to take much less pay. Just like at CVS I'm sure most don't review these policies to often."

https://www.facebook.com/theguerrillapharmacist/posts/1706196019688887

Not surprised if they do....have a few friends that work there.

Members don't see this ad.

WM cares about margins inside pharmacy?

If a company wants to get rid of you, they will find a way especially if they hide behind the pretense of compliance. If WM was really about 100% compliance every single pharmacist working for Walmart in California over the last 11 years should have been fired. Only if you do something extremely stupid will you force their hand like letting techs work with an expired license.

WM cares about margins inside pharmacy?

If a company wants to get rid of you, they will find a way especially if they hide behind the pretense of compliance. If WM was really about 100% compliance every single pharmacist working for Walmart in California over the last 11 years should have been fired. Only if you do something extremely stupid will you force their hand like letting techs work with an expired license.

The HR term for this is "constructive termination." There are legal ways to do it, and that's the way it should be from the corporate perspective, such that management can find a reason to get rid of anyone. It depends on business necessity on whether they will do that or not. Walgreens and Wal-Mart have used this at various times in their past to cull their staff. Revco, Osco and RiteAid were so notorious for that BS such that there was an informal boycott of locals working there for years in some areas. That's what at-will employment really means.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard about the pay thing. I got on board with Wal-Mart as a manager at $63/hr June 2017. I haven't heard of anyone in my market being terminated on the bathroom thing, but they did talk about it on a conference call. They said if the pharmacist needed to use the rest room they must close down the pharmacy to go. Leaving the pharmacy unattended without a pharmacist would be termination...my bathroom is inside my pharmacy at my store. My market director said as long as the pharmacy was in sight when showing patients OTC stuff that was fine because we do have to step out of the pharmacy to give immunizations too.

Bathroom thing is such a joke, just hold it for 10 hrs lol, a sad way to remove "overpaid" rphs... just shut the pharmacy down when you'll only be gone for literally about 1 minute (if you're a guy at least)... then if you shut the pharmacy down to use the restroom you'll get terminated when customers complain the pharmacy was closed during normal business hours heh

Reactions: 2 users
If they are looking to suppress the hourly rate < $60 in California good luck getting any quality pharmacists... not like they care

There isn't a policy about closing the pharmacy when taking your rest period and you are the only RPH on duty. It technically follows from existing policy on securing the pharmacy that if you take your mandated rest period (where applicable like in California) you should close the pharmacy. I know of pharmacists who when taking their 15 actually shut the pharmacy down and let the techs wait outside (admittedly slower pharmacies).

I am pretty sure MWHD do not like that but technically it's conformant with company policy (both rest period policy and pharmacy security policy. You have a mandated rest period of 15 minutes but you can't have a rest period if you are interrupted/working and you cannot leave the pharmacy unsecured when doing you rest period away from the pharmacy)

What has this world come to where going to the bathroom is now a fireable offense? I guess Walmart pharmacists should invest in diapers.

If they are looking to suppress the hourly rate < $60 in California good luck getting any quality pharmacists... not like they care

same here in flyover USA, good luck getting anyone to stick around if they are making less than 65.

What has this world come to where going to the bathroom is now a fireable offense? I guess Walmart pharmacists should invest in diapers.

No diaper just lock up. No way I am leaving techs unsupervised even for a piss break.

People are taking on 200k in debt to hope for a job that doesn't allow bathroom breaks at will....very sad and mind boggling

Reactions: 1 users
How can you say none of this is true? For example a reason for the placement of the immunization "cubicle" is that a pharmacist can see the pharmacy through the consultation counter glass pane

I've heard that Kroger is forcing some full time pharmacists to go to 32 hours.

None of this is true..

You really really have to screw up badly to get fired at WM

This was true in the past, but it was also true in the past that we had adequate technician/cashier help. Changes are happening. I'm not saying it's true, but I wouldn't be shocked if it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was at rotation a few months ago my preceptor got cut down to part time. Though to be fair they had three ****ing pharmacists behind the counter to fill less scripts than what one pharmacist at CVS does.

I got on board with Wal-Mart as a manager at $63/hr June 2017..

that is one sad company to work for. managers at cvs make a ton more than that. $63 per hour is how much they pay for floaters.,

When I was at rotation a few months ago my preceptor got cut down to part time. Though to be fair they had three ****ing pharmacists behind the counter to fill less scripts than what one pharmacist at CVS does.

To be fair walmarts processes are much slower then cvs. One pharmacist could not do 5-600 in a day. The biggest issue is only getting 3 techs due to pharmacist tech ratio

Walmart has a ****ty algorithm for determining how much help you get which doesn't really scale with the business and is inconsistently enforced, so at some stores (especially slower stores), you can barely call what they do working, while other stores (especially busy stores) are hell. it just depens on where you are.

How can you say none of this is true? For example a reason for the placement of the immunization "cubicle" is that a pharmacist can see the pharmacy through the consultation counter glass pane

Mate I regularly help people find products in tooth paste isle which is 4 isles away from pharmacy. And I am definitively out of the site yet I have never ever heard anyone telling me I was doing something wrong. OP's post is a load of dross.

Big changes are I coming and I wouldn't be surprised if salary start to go down. But that hasn't been put into action yet.

Depends on your field management. My first MHWD made it a point to mention coaching and termination for going outside the pharmacy without maintaining line of sight with the pharmacy.

Again it all depends on how willing someone is to get rid of you. For all the reports MHWDs get, apparently they don't get one for alarm exceptions.

Bathroom thing is such a joke, just hold it for 10 hrs lol, a sad way to remove "overpaid" rphs... just shut the pharmacy down when you'll only be gone for literally about 1 minute (if you're a guy at least)... then if you shut the pharmacy down to use the restroom you'll get terminated when customers complain the pharmacy was closed during normal business hours heh
I’ve known of pregnant pharmacists who said the baby pushed on their bladder and they had to pee all the time. With this policy, they are getting unfairly discriminated against. As much as I hate the lawsuit culture here in the US, these companies seem to be asking for trouble. I’m sure there are others with health issues requiring the use of the restroom more frequently than once a day during lunch.

Reactions: 1 users
I've heard that Kroger is forcing some full time pharmacists to go to 32 hours.
This is much better than firing people for stupid reasons like using the bathroom.

If my current job needed to decrease salaries, it would suck but I would rather they just decrease my salary instead of firing me and replacing me with a new grad. I would even rather have them get rid of all benefits for employees, etc. At least that would give people time to look for a new job without having been fired.

As a new grad I’m kind of shrugging about this issue. As an intern, I never got restrooms breaks. I had to wait until lunch, and the meanest parts of myself are saying pharmacists can wait too. It’s just sour grapes from the days when I would limit my coffee intake because of restroom access. Also interns are obviously different because it’s 4 years vs a lifetime. I never saw any issues like this while I was working for Walmart.

As a new grad I’m kind of shrugging about this issue. As an intern, I never got restrooms breaks. I had to wait until lunch, and the meanest parts of myself are saying pharmacists can wait too. It’s just sour grapes from the days when I would limit my coffee intake because of restroom access. Also interns are obviously different because it’s 4 years vs a lifetime. I never saw any issues like this while I was working for Walmart.

At some companies the pharmacist cannot wait until lunch to go to the bathroom because they don't get a lunch break. Usually the pharmacist steps out for 3-5 minutes for the restroom as needed and eats lunch while working.