Walmart increasing pay up to $30/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

No point in getting a pharmD when you can get $30/hr without one.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Looks like Uber, McDonalds and Papa John's got some serious competition for the steady supply of 15,000 PharmD graduates entering their workforce each year. How will they be able to survive now?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I know techs are at a minimum $17 in my area

Members don't see this ad :)
What they don't tell you in the official Great Workplace ProgramTM announcement is that this is really just a form of reshuffling and cutting positions.

$30/hr for complex Supercenters only (i.e., cater to ghetto/white trash all day). Not GM stores or nice stores.

Reactions: 1 users
Can't put a price on the prestige of a PharmD, especially one you earned online.

But mom’s friends don’t know that! You can take a picture with a stethoscope around your neck.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
What they don't tell you in the official Great Workplace ProgramTM announcement is that this is really just a form of reshuffling and cutting positions.

$30/hr for complex Supercenters only (i.e., cater to ghetto/white trash all day). Not GM stores or nice stores.

ghetto/white trash sounds as much a pain to deal with as entitled Karens and Kens.

Reactions: 4 users
Typically "complex" stores have everything "high shrink" locked up. Except beauty supplies because BLM(TM). Those surveillance cameras are put to good use.

A sunk cost of $200k+ and 4 years of your life.

Plus 4 years lost opportunity cost. $30/hr x 2080 hours per year x 4 years = $249,600 excluding holiday pay, overtime, vacation, sick time, benefits etc. So it's more of a $500,000 loss by going to pharmacy school.

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
Wild thinking like that... imagine medical school, residency, fellowship.... literally insane. Q

At least those residency and fellowship years add a larger salary, unlike pharmd residency but wowwwww....
Or PA school. An additional year of residency is also an increase in salary, and not many are pursuing residency as a PA as of now.

ghetto/white trash sounds as much a pain to deal with as entitled Karens and Kens.
Some may disagree but I have always found lower middle and lower income patients easier then higher income people.Higher income people are much more demanding.They want it fast and inexpensive. They call corporate in a heartbeat.Put me in a ghetto over Beverly Hills any day.

Reactions: 10 users
"I'll just die then" when some guy brings his 10+ maintenance scripts from the emergency dept (who cares about annual checkups or continuity of care) but his Medi-Cal coverage isn't active
"I want a free inhaler. The nurse said I could" then proceeds to knock down merchandise on the way out

1 800 Walmart because you didn't have 8 boxes of 32x4 pen needles
1 800 Walmart because the Medi-Cal plan doesn't cover OCP at the right day supply with placebo tabs skipped

I've gotten more BOP complaints from low-income trash but TBF that's mainly because > 90% of the customers are actually low-income

Reactions: 2 users
"I'll just die then" when some guy brings his 10+ maintenance scripts from the emergency dept (who cares about annual checkups or continuity of care) but his Medi-Cal coverage isn't active
"I want a free inhaler. The nurse said I could" then proceeds to knock down merchandise on the way out

1 800 Walmart because the Medi-Cal plan doesn't cover OCP at the right day supply with placebo tabs skipped

I've gotten more BOP complaints from low-income trash but TBF that's mainly because > 90% of the customers are actually low-income
I always remind myself.The vast majority of patients are decent and understanding.We forget those because they are so common. Its the ass holes we remember because thankfully they are so infrequent.

Some may disagree but I have always found lower middle and lower income patients easier then higher income people.Higher income people are much more demanding.They want it fast and inexpensive. They call corporate in a heartbeat.Put me in a ghetto over Beverly Hills any day.
Have you ever worked in a real ghetto?

I agree with this. I work in area where average house prices are above 2.5 M.Yes they are super demanding and annoying. I would rather work in low income area.

There are nice Walmarts? I guess I’ve only been to the first kind you described.

• Haha

I work in a low income area, but these mythical beings who call corporate because of (lack of) insurance coverage, or because they want free stuff, are still pretty rare. I can count on one hand the number of times the above has happened (to me). By far the more common problem is an Honest but still irritating lack of understanding, either due to language barrier, or hard-of-hearing individuals.

I work in a low income area, but these mythical beings who call corporate because of (lack of) insurance coverage, or because they want free stuff, are still pretty rare. I can count on one hand the number of times the above has happened (to me). By far the more common problem is an Honest but still irritating lack of understanding, either due to language barrier, or hard-of-hearing individuals.

Calling 1 800 Walmart is not common but those complaints are, esp if they left the jail with a bunch of psych meds but their Medi-Cal isn't active.

Gotten quite a few 1 800 Walmarts though about not billing OTCs correctly for dual eligibles because of lazy garbage techs (and people think techs can run a pharmacy with remote pharmacist supervision JFL)

Also what kind of dumb ****ing insurance formulary actually limits Xulane to 3 patches in 30 days abruptly (this will be yet another source of complaint even with ****ty clinics not understanding why a PA req for continuous use). Yes not even 28 days because these dip****s don't know how to count.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've worked in all kinds of areas, from very wealthy where it was "insurance needs what? OK, here is my card, I will just pay for it" to 95%+ Medicaid to mostly illegal immigrants who barely spoke English and had no insurance and no money to see a doctor so as a pharmacist you were their one and only link to all things healthcare. In my experience, it's exactly the same bell curve everywhere. 10% are wonderful people, 10% dinguses, and 80% are amorphous nobodies for whom I wouldn't go an extra mile, but whom I wouldn't mind helping either.

PS I see SDN has changed its approach to masking bad language. :)

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Key word: up to*

They will start at $16-$18 and can max at $30. That may take an individual 10-15 years to reach.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone ever advertise that pharmacists can make up to $84 an hour at Walmart?

Does anyone ever advertise that pharmacists can make up to $84 an hour at Walmart?
"Up to" luls

85/hr + bonus is your district leader salary. They hardly do any work. Maybe, 20h work for the whole week calling, and emailing people. I'd say that is an easy job.

In the real ghetto, those customers will call their brothers and cousins to come sort you out while you are working, then the manager will tell you to clean up the messed up store caused by your butt whooping, then the company will fire you like you caused it and deserved the beat down.

I don't think we are talking about the same kind of ghetto were you get shot for looking at people the wrong way.

Even better are the fat tubs that think they can do anything just because they weigh 200 lbs and have 50% body fat

In the real ghetto, those customers will call their brothers and cousins to come sort you out while you are working, then the manager will tell you to clean up the messed up store caused by your butt whooping, then the company will fire you like you caused it and deserved the beat down.

I don't think we are talking about the same kind of ghetto were you get shot for looking at people the wrong way.
This is true in the schools too...If they have a beef with a teacher..the whole family (during the work day)will show up and cause havoc....

This is true in the schools too...If they have a beef with a teacher..the whole family (during the work day)will show up and cause havoc....

Sounds like a bunch of cowards. If you have beef then deal with it one on one like a man.

Or they're working the overnight shift.