Walmart -knowingly not reporting errors in to SCRT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niceguy90

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I worked with this old Rx manager who didn't catch a Sig error by a tech, It was wrong directions on the label and because of it billed wrong Days to Ins- so patient ran out soon, and then it was too soon to refill.Pt was angry and I saw him apologizing to pt and giving away a 20$ gift card at the register. and a tech called insurance for correcting days for previous fill. I said you have to fill out SCRT as the Directions were wrong, He laughed about it and said it happens all the time with insulin billing-no biggy! It's been a week now but he didn't report it into SCRT abt that! just wondering what is Walmart policy about knowingly not reporting scrt?

Members don't see this ad.

Calculating and billing a wrong day supply is something that happens constantly and is not a medication error. This does not need to be reported.

A patient injecting the wrong number of units due to a sig misinterpretation is a medication error that needs to be reported.

Which happened here? More details about the error would help

Reactions: 1 user
so correct sig was 1 Bid and 2HS, so total 4/day but the label went out to pt was just 1 bid so 2/day.

Members don't see this ad :)
so correct sig was 1 Bid and 2HS, so total 4/day but the label went out to pt was just 1 bid so 2/day.
Sounds like an error that could have resulted in risk to the patient.

It's all about risk management, and reporting always minimizes risk the most.

If patient called MD and reported subtherapeutic outcomes affecting quality of life, that's on the pharmacy.

Reactions: 7 users
There is no question or grey area here. 100% report. The pharmacist is probably risking their job by not reporting.
Yup. Can be terminated for failure to report by end of shift it was discovered, IIRC.

Reactions: 3 users

This is most certainly a medication error.

Sounds like your new to this - so let me tell you how this can benefit you. This is a situation where you can and should report, and this will likely lead the way for you to present yourself as a more qualified pharmacist with stronger integrity. Perfect opportunity to take his job..

Ugh... such a crappy situation we are in that we have to play some sort of pharmacist game of thrones to survive..

Reactions: 3 users
Lesson learned. If you want to bring it up, prepare to follow through or put your job at risk too

Your "manager" is basically invoking mutually assured destruction knowingly or not but if you care that much you could open door his ass

And what does 1 BID + 2HS have to do with insulin day supply billing? LOLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Isn't Walmart the pharmacy that routine fires pharmacists for making errors? I remember reading a thread here where a Walmart pharmacist was fired for filling somethign like Nasacort plain with Nasacort AQ (I didn't even know there were 2 kinds of Nasacort.) Unfortunately, when a company acts like this, then pharmacists are going to not report errors, if which is bad for everyone. It's bad for everyone because they can't learn from other common errors, it's bad for the company if there is a lawsuit, and it leads to the patient/prescriber not being made aware of the error which is bad for the patient. Experts recommend that professionals NOT be punitively punished for errors (obviously if there are many, frequent errors, that is a different scenario.)

Error should have been reported. Won’t harm the rph since it sounds like “human error”

As for you, the more you investigate it the sooner you have to report it. Either forget it happened or report it. Like someone said, if you continue to bring this up, you will also be responsible and could be terminated too.

In your position, sometimes the less you have to know about a situation the better. Therefore the other pharmacist will be held responsible and not you as well.

So I worked with this old Rx manager who didn't catch a Sig error by a tech, It was wrong directions on the label and because of it billed wrong Days to Ins- so patient ran out soon, and then it was too soon to refill.Pt was angry and I saw him apologizing to pt and giving away a 20$ gift card at the register. and a tech called insurance for correcting days for previous fill. I said you have to fill out SCRT as the Directions were wrong, He laughed about it and said it happens all the time with insulin billing-no biggy! It's been a week now but he didn't report it into SCRT abt that! just wondering what is Walmart policy about knowingly not reporting scrt?

Read through POM 1102 on the WIRE. “The discovering Pharmacist must contact the market leader whenever an event has occurred...Report the event in SCRT.”

Failure to report a medication event by close of business is grounds for coaching and failure to report at all is considered gross misconduct for not following SOP and can lead to termination.

There is no question or grey area here. 100% report. The pharmacist is probably risking their job by not reporting.
I agree. Report it behind the pharmD's back and then try to get them fired so you can get more hours. It's a rat race.

The mere fact that you KNOW about it now makes you a part of the issue if it surfaces. Report it and cover yourself my friend. I literally watched someone get terminated over a similar issue recently. The facts of that situation were a little different, but the overarching theme was the same. Mistake made, patient caught it after they left, came back and pharmacist did something like offer them a giftcard or something.

Isn't Walmart the pharmacy that routine fires pharmacists for making errors? I remember reading a thread here where a Walmart pharmacist was fired for filling something like Nasacort plain with Nasacort AQ (I didn't even know there were 2 kinds of Nasacort.) Unfortunately, when a company acts like this, then pharmacists are going to not report errors, if which is bad for everyone. It's bad for everyone because they can't learn from other common errors, it's bad for the company if there is a lawsuit, and it leads to the patient/prescriber not being made aware of the error which is bad for the patient. Experts recommend that professionals NOT be punitively punished for errors (obviously if there are many, frequent errors, that is a different scenario.)

To encourage more error reporting, they amended the error reporting system in 2015 so they don't discipline for errors made per se. The "official" company stance is that you can be disciplined (techs and pharmacists) for not following standard operating procedure despite documented remediation, not for just making errors, so if they were somehow able to prove you were not checking NDCs or not opening amber vials at product verification you could be disciplined. However, frequent errors of the same type (3 or more in a rolling calendar year), or worse, 3 or more of the same type for the same person in a rolling calendar year, will get the DM up in your business to assess what is going on.

As for Nasacort vs Nasacort AQ, assuming Nasacort wasn't for the HFA oral inhaler whoever reported that is ****ing stupid like claiming a misfill for Qvar Redihaler being dispensed instead of the non-existent original Qvar MDI. AQ just referred to the drug being formulated in aqueous medium (like Beconase vs Beconase AQ). I doubt Nasacort original and Nasacort AQ existed on the market at the same time. Unfortunately there are a lot of unintelligent people working in retail pharmacy

Perfect opportunity to take his job..

Why the f--- would you want to take the manager's job if you have a cushy staff position, with 90% of the money and 20% of the hassle? Like it's a privilege!

Why the f--- would you want to take the manager's job if you have a cushy staff position, with 90% of the money and 20% of the hassle? Like it's a privilege!

Good point. Some are more ambitious than others I guess.