Walmart Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who work at Walmart, I was in need of some advice. I graduate this May, and I accepted a letter of intent for a grad intern position from Walmart. I was wondering how easy it is to transfer at Walmart since the location I was hired in was my second choice. I have been getting different responses from DMs/recruiters by telling me 12-18 months so I wasn't sure exactly. If you have transferred, how did you do it?

Also, do you have any advice on what I should work on during the next few months to prepare myself for the grad intern position and eventually a pharmacist position as I am an intern at Walmart.

P.S.-Looking at past threads on the subject of Walmart Pharmacy, it looks like a great company to work for as a pharmacist...I hope I didn't make the wrong decision, haha.

Members don't see this ad.

There has to be somebody working at Walmart on this forum...any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If there's an opening where you want to transfer to, and they don't already have the position earmarked for somebody specific, your chances are pretty good. I know several walmart pharmacists who transferred from undesirable locations to desirable ones. It helps if you are willing to be a manager, would help more if you have successfully been a manager, since those positions are harder to fill. I know someone who transferred to a saturated area but she had to agree to be a manager to get the position.

To transfer, just inform your manager and apply for the job.

Reactions: 1 user
If there's an opening where you want to transfer to, and they don't already have the position earmarked for somebody specific, your chances are pretty good. I know several walmart pharmacists who transferred from undesirable locations to desirable ones. It helps if you are willing to be a manager, would help more if you have successfully been a manager, since those positions are harder to fill. I know someone who transferred to a saturated area but she had to agree to be a manager to get the position.

To transfer, just inform your manager and apply for the job.

Thank you for the information. That's good to know!

I'm a per diem rph with walmart so I can't offer you specifics that regular staff would be able to offer regarding transferring. As far as the work environment, walmart has one of the better computer systems I've worked with. The RPh has more time to focus on verifying and consultations in walmart's system IMO. The stores I've floated to have been well staffed with technician/clerk support. I only work weekends so it's nice because with only 1 RPh we shutdown for an hour lunch. No flu shots in my distrcit as of right now, but that may change soon since they're offering training.

I'm a per diem rph with walmart so I can't offer you specifics that regular staff would be able to offer regarding transferring. As far as the work environment, walmart has one of the better computer systems I've worked with. The RPh has more time to focus on verifying and consultations in walmart's system IMO. The stores I've floated to have been well staffed with technician/clerk support. I only work weekends so it's nice because with only 1 RPh we shutdown for an hour lunch. No flu shots in my distrcit as of right now, but that may change soon since they're offering training.

Thank you for your response. You are lucky to have a hour lunch break! All the stores that I have worked at have a 30 minute lunch break when there is one pharmacist on duty during the weekends. At my store, patients can schedule appointments for flu shot as Walmart is starting a pilot program.

Must have a chill market manager. Because SOP says only 30 minute lunch is allowed.

It's nice closing down the pharmacy for an hour but it sucks coming back to a long line of people that have been waiting an hour. That's the only downside really.

It's nice closing down the pharmacy for an hour but it sucks coming back to a long line of people that have been waiting an hour. That's the only downside really.

Yeah, I can only imagine what it would be after a hour after seeing how it is after 30 minutes.

You have to tell them that your computer system "locks you out at 1:30", rather than "we are closing for lunch".... customers are much more receptive to something that is definitive than just you and your techs wanting a full lunch. It turned 12 minute lunch breaks into 30 minute lunch breaks in no time. I usually do the same at closing (system locking me out).... too easy.

True although all our pharmacies have a sign displayed that the pharmacy will close during our lunch hour when only 1 pharmacist is on shift. I guess that doesn't deter people either.

Members don't see this ad :)
True although all our pharmacies have a sign displayed that the pharmacy will close during our lunch hour when only 1 pharmacist is on shift. I guess that doesn't deter people either.
People don't read signs!

You have to tell them that your computer system "locks you out at 1:30", rather than "we are closing for lunch".... customers are much more receptive to something that is definitive than just you and your techs wanting a full lunch. It turned 12 minute lunch breaks into 30 minute lunch breaks in no time. I usually do the same at closing (system locking me out).... too easy.

Hahaa, I should do this more often. Good advice!

Jibby321, any advice for future grad interns?

Hahaa, I should do this more often. Good advice!

Jibby321, any advice for future grad interns?

Yea, telling them the comp system shuts down really helps actually.

Mhhhhmmmm, just try and be friendly with your local market manager, I volunteer for public screenings, and what ever else she has for interns to do. I'm a 1PD now, but my observations that I stated earlier was what I saw from other interns when I was still a tech for 3 years.

I graduate from pharm school at the end of May. I have an upcoming interview about a FT float position with Walmart. There are a few stores in this particular district where I would want to be based eventually, or eventually transfer within Walmart to a different location at some point. I read about the transfer policy earlier in the thread, so my main question is what are the hours and schedule I could expect as a FT Walmart float pharmacist? What are the plusses and minuses? Thanks.

Walmart have very good computer system, tech helps and cashier . You'd never be left alone in the pharmacy except everyone calls out. As of transfer, it's very easy especially if the pharmacy manager wants you to be a staff at his store( assuming you are going from float to staff). As for the schdule for a floater is not very good. You don't have a set schedule, you can be working every Saturday but if you have a good relationship with a scheduler he/ she might be able to work with you.

Lastly, be careful of Scrt, people put in any and everything so your 4 errors in a year can come up really fast.

Any Wally pharmacists have any experience with transferring within the company to another district? If so, is it relatively easy to do? Thanks. Please PM me if you don't want your answer in the the open forum.

I have an interview with them next week. Any advice on how to get ready? what kind of questions do they ask?

I have an interview with them next week. Any advice on how to get ready? what kind of questions do they ask?

I am a Pharmacy Manager with them since November (2013 grad). The interview is situation based where you explain things you have done relating to the questions. Just have a pleasant voice on the phone and sound like you have worked in a pharmacy before. If you have been in a busy store before or any unique experience make sure you highlight in one of your responses. Make sure you have a good response for a time you have dealt with an angry customer, or conflict within your staff. A time you may have had to correct a technician's actions. If you don't specifically have this with Pharmacy try to think of times in you other activities throughout life that are relatively recent (not high school or undergrad for most part). Just relax and be yourself, if your normal and can come off as someone who is competent and a hardworker you will get the job. Come prepared with several good questions to ask, and none of them being pay or benefits, that is for after you are offered the job, you CAN NEGOTIATE vacation, do not settle for no vacation and try no to settle for 1 week. If you market director needs someone you can easily get 2 weeks.

For those of you who work at Walmart, I was in need of some advice. I graduate this May, and I accepted a letter of intent for a grad intern position from Walmart. I was wondering how easy it is to transfer at Walmart since the location I was hired in was my second choice. I have been getting different responses from DMs/recruiters by telling me 12-18 months so I wasn't sure exactly. If you have transferred, how did you do it?

Also, do you have any advice on what I should work on during the next few months to prepare myself for the grad intern position and eventually a pharmacist position as I am an intern at Walmart.

P.S.-Looking at past threads on the subject of Walmart Pharmacy, it looks like a great company to work for as a pharmacist...I hope I didn't make the wrong decision, haha.
Hey! I just got a job as a grad intern and wanted to know if you have any advice since working there?