Walter Reed Army Medical Center PM&R

Discussion in 'PM&R' started by lamaupin, Dec 29, 2008.

1. lamaupin

lamaupin New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi all,
    Does anyone have any info on Walter Reed PM&R program?
    Call schedule, rotations, etc?
    also, does anyone know if it is good?
    I saw their website but it was most uninformative.
    Thanks so much!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SSdoc33

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    you have to be in the armed forces. are you?

3. OP
    OP
    lamaupin

lamaupin New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hello,
    Thank you for your reply.
    Yes, I am active duty military.
    anything you know would be most helpful.
    Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. OP
    OP
    lamaupin

lamaupin New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Thank you. I may just do that, and I am encouraged that you said everyone was very pleasant and helpful.
    Thanks again.

5. PM&R90

Attending Physician
    I'm a Walter Reed PM&R grad.
    1. The call schedule:
    That's kind of complicated because WR residents rotate at 3 outside/civilian rehab hospitals in addition to the in house rotations. In house call is home call and isn't too bad. The outside rotations have in house call 1-2x/week.

2. The rotaton: the rotation for medical students is pretty chill. 2weeks of outpt (shadowing) and 2weeks of inpatient (no call and no wknds); during residency - challenging PGY-2 yr (primarily inpt rotations, like TBI, stroke, neuro/general); pgy3-4: primarily outpt (EMG, outpatient Ortho, sports, MSK/US, Rheum, and Peds) and inpt (Peds and Spinal Cord)
    Great staff. Top notch EMG training (most residents score high on EMG related topics on insevice and boards)

6. j4pac

j4pac PM&R resident
    10+ Year Member

I did a few months at WRAMC PM&R and did an internship at NNMC. I loved the program, and here are the highlights.

-unbelievable staff. Feels like a family...very well supported
    -excellent residents who are very down to earth
    -elite poly trauma experience
    -very good outpatient with unlimited resources...very supportive of OMT, acupuncture, dry needling. You name it and they are supportive
    -elite didactics
    -unbelievable multidisciplary outpatient TBI clinic with world renown mental health providers and Neurologists
    -excellent didactics...you even get frequent MSK Radiology through Rads
    -I don't know if this has changed since the budget crunch, but good research opportunities. NIH is literally across the street
    -Bethesda is a fantastic town for singles and families...best public schools in the country
    -elite EMG...one of the best in the country...Sinai and Georgetown rotate through
    -affiliated with both Georgetown and Sinai, so very good outside rotations to fill the gaps of what isn't available at WRNMMC.
    -the best patients in the world...the most deserving of care

If WRNMMC was a civilian program it would be in the "big 6"...easily. Pretty special place. I'm still bumbed that I can't go being Navy.

PM&R90 likes this.
  7. SSdoc33

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    the OP has already finished med school, intership, residency and fellowship by now.

j4pac likes this.
  8. j4pac

j4pac PM&R resident
    10+ Year Member

Still a useful thread...assuming the OP isn't the last person to apply to WRNMMC.