Walter Reed Army Medical Center PM&R

Started by lamaupin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lamaupin

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on Walter Reed PM&R program?
Call schedule, rotations, etc?
also, does anyone know if it is good?
I saw their website but it was most uninformative.
Thanks so much!
 
Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on Walter Reed PM&R program?
Call schedule, rotations, etc?
also, does anyone know if it is good?
I saw their website but it was most uninformative.
Thanks so much!

you have to be in the armed forces. are you?
 
Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am active duty military.
anything you know would be most helpful.
Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you. I may just do that, and I am encouraged that you said everyone was very pleasant and helpful.
Thanks again.
 
Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on Walter Reed PM&R program?
Call schedule, rotations, etc?
also, does anyone know if it is good?
I saw their website but it was most uninformative.
Thanks so much!

I'm a Walter Reed PM&R grad.
1. The call schedule:
That's kind of complicated because WR residents rotate at 3 outside/civilian rehab hospitals in addition to the in house rotations. In house call is home call and isn't too bad. The outside rotations have in house call 1-2x/week.

2. The rotaton: the rotation for medical students is pretty chill. 2weeks of outpt (shadowing) and 2weeks of inpatient (no call and no wknds); during residency - challenging PGY-2 yr (primarily inpt rotations, like TBI, stroke, neuro/general); pgy3-4: primarily outpt (EMG, outpatient Ortho, sports, MSK/US, Rheum, and Peds) and inpt (Peds and Spinal Cord)
Great staff. Top notch EMG training (most residents score high on EMG related topics on insevice and boards)
 
I did a few months at WRAMC PM&R and did an internship at NNMC. I loved the program, and here are the highlights.

-unbelievable staff. Feels like a family...very well supported
-excellent residents who are very down to earth
-elite poly trauma experience
-very good outpatient with unlimited resources...very supportive of OMT, acupuncture, dry needling. You name it and they are supportive
-elite didactics
-unbelievable multidisciplary outpatient TBI clinic with world renown mental health providers and Neurologists
-excellent didactics...you even get frequent MSK Radiology through Rads
-I don't know if this has changed since the budget crunch, but good research opportunities. NIH is literally across the street
-Bethesda is a fantastic town for singles and families...best public schools in the country
-elite EMG...one of the best in the country...Sinai and Georgetown rotate through
-affiliated with both Georgetown and Sinai, so very good outside rotations to fill the gaps of what isn't available at WRNMMC.
-the best patients in the world...the most deserving of care

If WRNMMC was a civilian program it would be in the "big 6"...easily. Pretty special place. I'm still bumbed that I can't go being Navy.
 
the OP has already finished med school, intership, residency and fellowship by now.

Still a useful thread...assuming the OP isn't the last person to apply to WRNMMC.
 
Does anybody have any knowledge on the avg step 1 score for army applicants to this residency? What's the overall competitiveness for the available seats?

PS Yes I am aware that this thread is old af