WAMC, 2.8cgpa, 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardboardboxlyfe

Reaction score
  1. cGPA: 2.83 sGPA:2.64, but I had a year of post bachelor's classes that had a cGPA of 3.67 and sGPA of 3.58.
  2. MCAT: 500 the first time last year, 510 this time in March, with a 127/127/127/129
  3. New York
  4. ORM
  5. Clinical experience:1200 hours as a medical assistant
  6. Research experience and productivity: 200 hours, no publications
  7. Non-clinical volunteering:70 hours for a LGBT club in my post bachelor's university
  8. Other: 2800 hours as a medical insurance appeals writer, basically reading hospital records
  9. LOR: three pretty good ones from professors i took this year, all of them basically were more than happy to write me letters and told me i'd be able to make it to med school.
  10. Anything else: I had severe depression/attempted suicide during my undergrad years, and only recently turned it around with a better MCAT and better post bachelor year grades
I'm going to be honest, I don't care about MD vs DO, I've learned that I'd like to help people and I just wanna get into med school. I'm not in any good financial position to take any more classes, and I don't know if I could score higher on the MCAT. Do I even have a shot, or should I be pivoting?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you have a shot esp at DOs. I'll let wiser members comment on specifics, but good luck. 🤞

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats but should apply broadly and include all the newer schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
KHSC-COM (new school)
DUQCOM (new school)
Orlando (when it opens)
For MD schools you could try SUNY Upstate and SUNY Buffalo.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats but should apply broadly and include all the newer schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
MU-COM
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
UIWSOM
BCOM
ICOM
Touro-Montana
RVU-Montana
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
KHSC-COM (new school)
DUQCOM (new school)
Orlando (when it opens)
For MD schools you could try SUNY Upstate and SUNY Buffalo.
Thank you, I'm not feeling very hopeful but this helps, I had some of these on my list already so i feel better knowing I was going for feasible options.

1) What did you do?
2) Any service orientation activities that are not related to healthcare or tutoring/mentoring?
I helped the president in a non-official position, but I did community outreach, helped protest, and helped set up things with members around campus, specifically events for our club.
Also, I'm not really clear on what number 2 means. Do you mean like other jobs I've held? I've worked in warehouse jobs, IT, retail, and I was accepted into the peace corps before the pandemic flattened my chances at going.

I helped the president in a non-official position, but I did community outreach, helped protest, and helped set up things with members around campus, specifically events for our club.
Also, I'm not really clear on what number 2 means. Do you mean like other jobs I've held? I've worked in warehouse jobs, IT, retail, and I was accepted into the peace corps before the pandemic flattened my chances at going.
Community service (ie not on-campus). Things like helping at a soup kitchen, food bank, local homeless shelter etc. Some work with non-profits could also fit in here.

Reactions: 1 user
Community service (ie not on-campus). Things like helping at a soup kitchen, food bank, local homeless shelter etc. Some work with non-profits could also fit in here.
Unfortunately I don't have any of those. I worked in college and past college because my family needed the money.