WAMC 2024-2025 cycle

Started by User2601
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

User2601

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

This is my second time applying and I recently earned my Bachelor's degree from Rutgers New Brunswick. I applied to 13 schools last time in the North-East area mainly and did not get any interviews. I know my stats are really low and when I applied last time it was really rushed as I was taking 2 hard Bio-electives over the summer, studying for the DAT, and prepping my application all at the same time. Since then I have gained experience working as a Dental Assistant for about a year now with a general dentist and a periodontist. I am also applying to a Master's program as Rutgers Dental School. which is designed for Pre-dental students. I am also re-taking my DAT by mid-august and I know I can perform way better than I did last time because this time I can fully focus on it.

I recently spoke to someone at Rutgers Dental School to get feedback on my application from last time and the person that I spoke to was very discouraging and very negative (which I understand my stats are really low I shouldn't have even applied). But she basically convinced me to quit this path as I am not capable of succeeding in it. She said no matter how well I do on my DAT it will not make up for my low GPA and that I may not even qualify to get into any Master's programs. 🙁

I got accepted the post-bacc program at Temple University but it was really expensive for me so I did not pursue that option.

Date of submission: Mid-June
Overall GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 2.9
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: don't know
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 17AA //16 PAT//16 QR//19 RC//18 BIO//15 GC//18 OC//17TS
State of Residence: NJ

Undergrad Attended: Rutgers University
Major: Biology
Minor: Psychology
Minority? No (Indian)
Reapplicant? yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 130+ between two general dentists and one of them wrote me a rec.
Volunteering Experience: 30+ volunteering at dental clinic, 200+ non-dental volunteering.
Employment: employed through most of undegrad working as Pharmacy Technician for 1 year and Dental Assistant 1 year (still continuing).
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: committee member of a non-profit organisation called Pathways for Hope - which organizes events for rescued pets adoption and fostering. Volunteered at events held by pre-dental club at Rutgers. I play the piano as a hobby but never performed at event. Occasionally volunteer as student teacher at Kumon where I was employed during high school.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: none
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 2 General Dentist (worked for one, and shadowed/volunteered with the other), 1 science TA.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Had to Re-take Gen chem II as I failed my first time when I took it over the summer. Began shadowing January of Last year. Went to community college during covid-19 for first 2 years where I got my AS before transferring and graduating from Rutgers.

I am also an immigrant and this is only my 7th year living in the US. I do not have a medical background so most of my schooling and college here has been self-navigation. I am still learning a LOT of new things that I wish I knew earlier.