WAMC 2024-2025 International Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knownalbatross

Reaction score
As an international student, I am curious as to how much my status will hurt me in my applications, specifically in relation to ivy league schools. I'm looking forward to hearing advice and suggestions!

Date of submission: June 2024 (projected)
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
28 AA, 27 TS, 27 PAT
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: Not prestigious, not well known (in MI)
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours GP, 12 hours ortho, 5 hours pediatrics
Volunteering Experience: 30 currently, but aiming for 100+ by application (local food bank, underserved school districts)
Employment: RA for dorms, work at the international student center at university
Research: ~100 hours of research, no publications
Other Extracurriculars: Undergraduate research, RA, leadership roles in 2 clubs (1 health related, 1 not health related), involvement in several clubs, several part-time short-term employment on campus
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? N/A.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Scholarship awarded by my school, member of school's honors society, dean's list
LOR type and strength:
- 2 professors (science)
- 1 dentist
- I think both my professor letters will be strong while my dentist letter will probably be alright, but nothing special
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
UMich
UDM
NYU
Touro
Boston
Tufts
Nova
CWRU
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
USC

Members don't see this ad.

As an international student, I am curious as to how much my status will hurt me in my applications, specifically in relation to ivy league schools. I'm looking forward to hearing advice and suggestions!

Date of submission: June 2024 (projected)
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 28 AA, 27 TS, 27 PAT
State of Residence: International

Undergrad Attended: Not prestigious, not well known (in MI)
Major: Biology
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 100 hours GP, 12 hours ortho, 5 hours pediatrics
Volunteering Experience: 30 currently, but aiming for 100+ by application (local food bank, underserved school districts)
Employment: RA for dorms, work at the international student center at university
Research: ~100 hours of research, no publications
Other Extracurriculars: Undergraduate research, RA, leadership roles in 2 clubs (1 health related, 1 not health related), involvement in several clubs, several part-time short-term employment on campus
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? N/A.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Scholarship awarded by my school, member of school's honors society, dean's list
LOR type and strength:
- 2 professors (science)
- 1 dentist
- I think both my professor letters will be strong while my dentist letter will probably be alright, but nothing special
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Harvard
UPenn
Columbia
UMich
UDM
NYU
Touro
Boston
Tufts
Nova
CWRU
Loma Linda
UCLA
UCSF
UoP
USC
how did you come up with this list?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a definitive list by any means and I'm absolutely open to any suggestions. With the exception of UCLA, UCSF, and UMich, I made my list around private schools which tend to be more international-friendly (especially LLU and Nova based on the 2020-2021 statistics). The schools on my list were either on the East or West coast, because I would really like to experience a different part of the country. I did include the Michigan schools because I have upperclassmen and other friends currently attending that enjoy their school.

It's not a definitive list by any means and I'm absolutely open to any suggestions. With the exception of UCLA, UCSF, and UMich, I made my list around private schools which tend to be more international-friendly (especially LLU and Nova based on the 2020-2021 statistics). The schools on my list were either on the East or West coast, because I would really like to experience a different part of the country. I did include the Michigan schools because I have upperclassmen and other friends currently attending that enjoy their school.
are you religious? can you get an LOR from a religious leader?

you need to show mission fit
west coast/east coast is not mission fit...

you need to show mission fit
west coast/east coast is not mission fit...
I will continue to do research into schools and filter schools based on how their curriculum, philosophy, mission, etc resonate within me, as well as I how I think I would fit into their school so that I can present myself well and have strong, well-grounded interviews at schools that I really want to attend.
As for the rest of my application, how do you think I will fare in the upcoming cycle? Is there anything in my application that you would advise working on?

I will continue to do research into schools and filter schools based on how their curriculum, philosophy, mission, etc resonate within me, as well as I how I think I would fit into their school so that I can present myself well and have strong, well-grounded interviews at schools that I really want to attend.
As for the rest of my application, how do you think I will fare in the upcoming cycle? Is there anything in my application that you would advise working on?
you have a near perfect GPA and a 99.9 percentile DAT
your main issue is that you are international, and that cannot be changed quickly
just apply to international friendly schools and bump up those shadowing/volunteering hours...

Are any of your friends international students attending dental school? That is your challenge.

What is your endgame as a dentist? Do you want to work in Canada or the US? When do you become a permanent resident?

I have seen this in other threads as well. Can you explain what "mission fit" means please?

Reactions: 1 user