WAMC 2024-2025 / average student with average GPA & DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalwa

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Trying to be as open and honest as I can be. Any advice is welcome

Date of submission: Early June 2024
Overall GPA: ~ 3.6
Science GPA: I don't know
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: ~ 3.4
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
First attempt
15 TS, 16 AA
21 PAT, 17 QR, 17 RC, 15 Bio, 16 GC, 15 OC

Second attempt
20 TS (+5), 20 AA (+4)
23 PAT (+2), 17 QR (+0, IDK WHAT HAPPENED ), 19 RC (+2), 19 Bio (+4),19 GC (+3), 21 OC (+6)

State of Residence: MI

Undergrad Attended: Michigan State University
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Entrepreneurship and Innovation
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours general dentist/endodontist, 10 hours pediatric
Volunteering Experience:
500+ hours, cutting hair for homeless men / families who are financially struggling at a charity
~ 120 hours, food bank

Employment: Many (I have had a job since I was young to help pay with house bills and my tuition)
Restaurant Manager (6 years)
Resident Assistant (3 years)
Student Librarian (2 years)
Family-friendly amusement park (1 year)
Transcriptionist for multiple Oral Surgeons (1 year)

Research: n/a

Other Extracurriculars:
~ 40 hours, American Student Dental Association (Member)
~ 100 hours, Hall Government (Representative)
~ 100 hours, Intramural basketball and soccer (Member)
~ 1000 hours, Esports Competitive Valorant (Member)
Out of 11 million competitive players, I place in the top 3%. I compete competitively and coach new players
~ 40 hours, Rotaract Club (Treasurer)
~ 80 hours, Pre-Dental Club (Treasurer)
~ 120 hours, MRULE (Member)
For those who don't know what MRULE is - "Weekly round table discussions that cover a variety of topics related to our personal, collective and societal well-being from climate justice, to racial and gender equality, to reimaging our global society."

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? n/a
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List 2x

LOR type and strength:
1x biology professor (director of biology department), good
1x organic chemistry professor, good
1x general dentist/endodontist, strong
1x resident assistant supervisor, strong

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
1. First generation student
- Parents never went to college or even high school

2. Single parent household with low income
- Live with dad and younger brother
- Like mentioned above, I have had a job since I was young to help pay with house bills and my tuition

3. Four significant people passed away each year throughout my undergrad that caused me to lose focus in my academics
(Older and youngest brother were spastic quadriplegia with autism. I devoted a lot of my time to their well-being, ensuring their care included tasks such as feeding them through a tube and assisting with bathing, among other responsibilities. Older sister passed during my freshman year. Youngest brother passed during my sophomore year. Grandma committed s**cide during my junior year. Charity friend passed during my senior year)
which leads me to...
Took biochemistry 3 times (withdrew 2 times sophomore year, finally passed with 2.0 during junior year)
Physics 1 & 2 (3.0 & 2.5, respectively, junior and senior year)
General Chemistry 1 (3.0, freshman year)

4. Low DAT (first attempt)
- Took it after sophomore year. Mentally was not there because this was right after youngest brother passed
- Also, I did not know what I was doing. I thought that since I did fine in general & organic chemistry and biology I wouldn't need to study. Did zero practice tests

5. Self taught barber
- Initially, learned to cut hair because my grandma did a horrible job (RIP). So I went to YouTube and started practicing on my little brother. Eventually, I started to cut my own hair with a mirror. During COVID-19, I realized I can take it further by giving back to the community. All barbershops were closed at this time and I knew there was a lot of people who were financially struggling to afford a haircut. At this point, I have been cutting hair for about 4 years so I was pretty good at it

6. Somewhat bilingual?
- Can understand Mandarin but can not write or read. Can speak a little

School list:
Would love to stay in MI. Open to other schools and suggestions
UDM (IS)
UofM (IS)
NYU
Rutgers
Indiana
Ohio
Boston U
Tufts
Case Western
LECOM
Marquette
Louisville
Temple
Buffalo
Arizona

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Overall GPA: ~ 3.54
First attempt (2021)
15 TS, 16 AA

Second attempt
Taking it again in this upcoming March. Getting much better scores now, around 19-20 AA and 21 PAT (will update with official scores when I can)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours, general dentist/endodontist
Volunteering Experience:
500+ hours, cutting hair for homeless men / families who are financially struggling at a charity

~ 20 hours, food pantry through Rotaract Club

Employment: Many (I have had a job since I was young to help pay with house bills and my tuition)
Restaurant (6 years)

Other Extracurriculars:

~ 50 hours, Intramural basketball and soccer (Member)

~ 350 hours, Esports Competitive Valorant (Member)
Out of 11 million competitive players, I place in the top 3%. I compete competitively and coach new players

~ 50 hours, Pre-Dental Club (Treasurer)

~ 100 hours, MRULE (Member)
For those who don't know what MRULE is - "Weekly round table discussions that cover a variety of topics related to our personal, collective and societal well-being from climate justice, to racial and gender equality, to reimaging our global society."

LOR type and strength:

1x volunteer coordinator, strong (still in process of getting it)

- Like mentioned above, I have had a job since I was young to help pay with house bills and my tuition

3. Four significant people passed away each year throughout my undergrad that caused me to lose focus in my academics
(Older and youngest brother were spastic quadriplegia with autism. I devoted a lot of my time to their well-being, ensuring their care included tasks such as feeding them through a tube and assisting with bathing, among other responsibilities. Older sister passed during my freshman year. Youngest brother passed during my sophomore year. Grandma committed s**cide during my junior year. Charity friend passed during my senior year)
which leads me to...
Took biochemistry 3 times (withdrew 2 times sophomore year, finally passed with 2.0 during junior year)

- Took it after sophomore year. Mentally was not there because this was right after youngest brother passed.
- Also, I did not know what I was doing. I thought that since I did fine in general & organic chemistry and biology I wouldn't need to study. Did zero practice tests

5. Self taught barber
- Initially, learned to cut hair because my grandma did a horrible job (RIP). So I went to YouTube and started practicing on my little brother. Eventually, I started to cut my own hair with a mirror. During COVID-19, I realized I can take it further by giving back to the community. All barbershops were closed at this time and I knew there was a lot of people who were financially struggling to afford a haircut. At this point, I have been cutting hair for about 4 years so I was pretty good at it

6. Somewhat bilingual?

School list:
UofM (IS)
UDM (IS)
NYU
Rutgers
Florida
UCLA
USC
Illinois
Indiana
Ohio
there are several d schools in illinois...

Members don't see this ad :)

Overall GPA: ~ 3.54
First attempt (2021)
15 TS, 16 AA

Second attempt
Taking it again in this upcoming March. Getting much better scores now, around 19-20 AA and 21 PAT (will update with official scores when I can)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200+ hours, general dentist/endodontist
Volunteering Experience:

~ 20 hours, food pantry through Rotaract Club

Restaurant (6 years)

Other Extracurriculars:

~ 50 hours, Intramural basketball and soccer (Member)

~ 350 hours, Esports Competitive Valorant (Member)

~ 50 hours, Pre-Dental Club (Treasurer)

~ 100 hours, MRULE (Member)

LOR type and strength:

1x volunteer coordinator, strong (still in process of getting it)

which leads me to...

- Took it after sophomore year. Mentally was not there because this was right after youngest brother passed

5. Self taught barber

6. Somewhat bilingual?

School list:
UofM (IS)
UDM (IS)
NYU
Rutgers
Florida
UCLA
USC
Indiana
Ohio
Boston U
Tufts
UIC
Temple
difficult to say without a DAT score update

how did you come up with this list?

difficult to say without a DAT score update

how did you come up with this list?
Totally understand without a DAT update. I guess I just wanted some advice with a projected score

In terms of my list, I want to apply broadly. I don't have the best academic stats so a short list wouldn't make sense. I want to be close to home but have family in New York and California. Tuition is obviously a factor too but I grew up with no money and having a mindset of you have to spend money to make money. With that being said a low COA is ideal

Last edited:
Focus on nailing that DAT, and ask the schools you want to apply to how they will handle multiple scores. Many will do your latest while some will do your best (which in this case, I hope it's one in the same).

Lots of first-gen students at both Michigan dental schools, with UDM as your best chance. Leverage your ASDA connections if you want to spread out, but you should likely look at privates with large enrollments, preferably in urban locations with community service to houseless/homeless populations.

Keep your costs low. Swap some of the coastal schools with other midwestern privates. Be reasonable with your list especially with OOS admission stats.

Focus on nailing that DAT, and ask the schools you want to apply to how they will handle multiple scores. Many will do your latest while some will do your best (which in this case, I hope it's one in the same).

Lots of first-gen students at both Michigan dental schools, with UDM as your best chance. Leverage your ASDA connections if you want to spread out, but you should likely look at privates with large enrollments, preferably in urban locations with community service to houseless/homeless populations.

Keep your costs low. Swap some of the coastal schools with other midwestern privates. Be reasonable with your list especially with OOS admission stats.
Thank you for your advice. It means a lot. Besides the DAT and school list, do you see any other concerns? I tried to be as open and detailed as possible

Totally understand without a DAT update. I guess I just wanted some advice with a projected score

In terms of my list, I want to apply broadly. I don't have the best academic stats so a short list wouldn't make sense. I want to be close to home but have family in New York and California. Tuition is obviously a factor too but I grew up with no money and having a mindset of you have to spend money to make money. With that being said a low COA is ideal
you need mission fit
"close to home/family" and "low COA" is not mission fit...

Reactions: 1 user

FL is VERY OOS unfriendly
UCLA is a pretty big reach too
list is too short and too public heavy...

you need mission fit
"close to home/family" and "low COA" is not mission fit...
FL is VERY OOS unfriendly
UCLA is a pretty big reach too
list is too short and too public heavy...
Ok thank you. I will do some more research and connect myself with the school. I'll update the thread when I take the DAT again

updated DAT scores and school list

macsak, Mr.Smile12

wow, that's an impressive improvement on the DAT
congrats
the 2 schools that stand out to me are louisville and LECOM, they don't make much sense geographically
i'd pick schools in the central/midwest area...

wow, that's an impressive improvement on the DAT
congrats
the 2 schools that stand out to me are louisville and LECOM, they don't make much sense geographically
i'd pick schools in the central/midwest area...
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
there is no "arizona" dental school
there are 2 separate private schools there
but arizona schools also don't make much sense geographically either...

there is no "arizona" dental school
there are 2 separate private schools there
but arizona schools also don't make much sense geographically either...
Do you think my list is long enough to be accepted if i removed the 3 schools?

Do you think my list is long enough to be accepted if i removed the 3 schools?
12 schools is right at the border of where i would be comfortable
but while you do only have one huge reach school, the oos publics are still not really in-range for you
if you have really good personal/disadvantaged statements and LOR, it *might* be enough, but i think to be safe you should add some more...