WAMC 2024-2025 (No DAT Score)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CataclysmicKangaroo

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 2024
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Plan to take it July 26th, will use Bootcamp as primary study material
State of Residence: Georgia
Undergrad Attended: Public In-state school
Major: Biology
Minor: Biochemistry (projected)
Minority? Yes, African American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience: 261hrs (In-person General Dentistry), 22hrs (Virtual-various specialties)
Volunteering Experience: 300 hrs Volunteering Club, 160 hrs Summer Camp Counselor, 175 hrs Habitat for Humanity, 68 hrs dental assisting at a free healthcare clinic
Employment: 450 hrs Chemistry Teaching Assistant, 420 hrs Cashier/Sales Associate during 2 summers
Research: 250 hrs Microbiology Research Assistant on Fleas, one conference presentation with another projected, no pubs.
Other Extracurriculars: President & Founder of Volunteering Club, President & Secretary of Pre-Dental Club, Treasurer of Social Fraternity, SHPEP Scholar
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Attended Impressions event at in-state dental school, Hinman events, and ASDA virtual webinars
Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidents list, 2xPresident Volunteer Award (100hrs volunteering in 1-year time frame)
LOR type and strength: Plan to get 1 from Microbio Research Mentor, 1 from Ochem 2 professor I was a teaching assistant for, 1 from General Dentist shadowed, 1 from summer camp counselor supervisor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
I know it will be difficult to gauge competitiveness with no DAT score, but just trying to gain a sense of schools I should feel comfortable applying to since I plan to take the DAT after AADSAS opens. Thanks!
School list:
(Will plan to apply to 6-7 schools, so want to be conservative with my school selections)
Dental College of Georgia
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Florida
University of North Carolina
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Pennsylvania

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: June 2024
Overall GPA: 4.0
Science GPA: 4.0
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.0
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Plan to take it July 26th, will use Bootcamp as primary study material
State of Residence: Georgia
Undergrad Attended: Public In-state school
Major: Biology
Minor: Biochemistry (projected)
Minority? Yes, African American
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No
Shadowing Experience: 261hrs (In-person General Dentistry), 22hrs (Virtual-various specialties)
Volunteering Experience: 300 hrs Volunteering Club, 160 hrs Summer Camp Counselor, 175 hrs Habitat for Humanity, 68 hrs dental assisting at a free healthcare clinic
Employment: 450 hrs Chemistry Teaching Assistant, 420 hrs Cashier/Sales Associate during 2 summers
Research: 250 hrs Microbiology Research Assistant on Fleas, one conference presentation with another projected, no pubs.
Other Extracurriculars: President & Founder of Volunteering Club, President & Secretary of Pre-Dental Club, Treasurer of Social Fraternity, SHPEP Scholar
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Attended Impressions event at in-state dental school, Hinman events, and ASDA virtual webinars
Relevant Honors or Awards: Presidents list, 2xPresident Volunteer Award (100hrs volunteering in 1-year time frame)
LOR type and strength: Plan to get 1 from Microbio Research Mentor, 1 from Ochem 2 professor I was a teaching assistant for, 1 from General Dentist shadowed, 1 from summer camp counselor supervisor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I know it will be difficult to gauge competitiveness with no DAT score, but just trying to gain a sense of schools I should feel comfortable applying to since I plan to take the DAT after AADSAS opens. Thanks!
School list: (Will plan to apply to 6-7 schools, so want to be conservative with my school selections)
Dental College of Georgia
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Florida
University of North Carolina
University of Kentucky
University of Louisville
University of Pennsylvania
pending your dat, you will be competitive

how did you come up with your school list?

Members don't see this ad :)
pending your dat, you will be competitive

how did you come up with your school list?
Thank you for that! I am from the southeast so I would love to stay in the area for dental school. Additionally I looked in schools that a reasonable amount of out-of-state spots per class, not overly expensive out-of-state tuition, and had a variety of in-house specialties as I would love to shadow throughout dental school

Thank you for that! I am from the southeast so I would love to stay in the area for dental school. Additionally I looked in schools that a reasonable amount of out-of-state spots per class, not overly expensive out-of-state tuition, and had a variety of in-house specialties as I would love to shadow throughout dental school
you need to show mission fit
that's not mission fit...

As noted by my colleague, that's a school selection strategy, not mission fit.

Southern schools are very possessive of their in-state applicants, and public dental schools generally play the regional game among OOS spots. The only real exceptions will be private schools with large classes.

As an African-American applicant, you need to connect through SNDA chapters so you can get insight into how supportive schools are with their diversity talk. I don't know how LECOM is affected by the expulsion of DEI administrators across higher education in the state, but you need to think about that. (UF has fired all of their DEI officers as far as I can tell with press releases.)

Again, I don't know why you aren't considering Meharry, Morehouse, or Howard. With a solid DAT, you will get a shot at these schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As noted by my colleague, that's a school selection strategy, not mission fit.

Southern schools are very possessive of their in-state applicants, and public dental schools generally play the regional game among OOS spots. The only real exceptions will be private schools with large classes.

As an African-American applicant, you need to connect through SNDA chapters so you can get insight into how supportive schools are with their diversity talk. I don't know how LECOM is affected by the expulsion of DEI administrators across higher education in the state, but you need to think about that. (UF has fired all of their DEI officers as far as I can tell with press releases.)

Again, I don't know why you aren't considering Meharry, Morehouse, or Howard. With a solid DAT, you will get a shot at these schools.
morehouse doesn't have a dental school as far as i know...