WAMC 26-27, CA res, mediocre GPA

Started by jaxsear
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jaxsear

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: hopefully end of June
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.68
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 480, PAT 530, SNS 480 (OC 480, GC 480, Bio 480), RC 500, QR 480
State of Residence: California

Undergrad: UW
Major: Biochemistry, Creative Writing
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 210, general
Volunteering Experience: 285, soup kitchen; 22, free clinic
Employment: 2000+, front desk type job
Research:
630, chemistry (photophysics), listed as author on manuscript in review
1200, chemistry (organic materials), listed as author on manuscript in submission, preparing to publish another one this summer
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental organizations, leadership, 72 hours total
Quizbowl team, leadership, 500 hours
Chemistry general interest club, leadership, 72 hours
STEM pen pal program with elementary school student, 45 hours

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? attended UWSOD open houses/info sessions, and have networked with dental students mostly from UWSOD but also at UoP, CNU, and other West Coast schools thanks to D12 ASDA.
Relevant Honors or Awards: 4 research awards, 1 creative writing award
LOR type and strength: 1 research, 2 STEM (both chemistry)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: no experience assisting :-(
School list:
reach (? sorry I don't know if these are realistic):
Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF
target:
Tufts, Boston, UW, UoP (?)
safety (again sorry if these are unrealistic):
Western, Iowa, UNLV, OHSU, Touro
I would love advice on what other schools might be good to apply to/what schools I should take off my list!
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

Just doing a check: PNWU dental? I need information on why Iowa. I thought OHSU is very focused on Oregon applicants. I thought UW is also very focused on WWAMI applicants, especially if you grew up in a dental underserved area. Why the Boston schools instead of the Arizona schools?
 
Welcome to the forums.

Just doing a check: PNWU dental? I need information on why Iowa. I thought OHSU is very focused on Oregon applicants. I thought UW is also very focused on WWAMI applicants, especially if you grew up in a dental underserved area. Why the Boston schools instead of the Arizona schools?
thanks!
I thought about PNWU but I'm a little wary since it's pretty new if my information is correct.
honestly Iowa because it has a pretty strong clinical reputation and I'm leaning toward specializing in the future, and a couple of my friends are doing MFAs there. honestly was not sure about OHSU but UW is my undergrad institution and I've met OOS students at their SOD, plus I know their class size isn't too small, so I'm hoping that and the connections I've made at UWSOD might help me. I'm looking for a big city environment if possible (hence Boston and Seattle over Midwestern AZ). I will definitely consider applying for ASDOH though!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Date of submission: hopefully end of June
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.68
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 480, PAT 530, SNS 480 (OC 480, GC 480, Bio 480), RC 500, QR 480
State of Residence: California

Undergrad: UW
Major: Biochemistry, Creative Writing
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 210, general
Volunteering Experience: 285, soup kitchen; 22, free clinic
Employment: 2000+, front desk type job
Research:
630, chemistry (photophysics), listed as author on manuscript in review
1200, chemistry (organic materials), listed as author on manuscript in submission, preparing to publish another one this summer
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental organizations, leadership, 72 hours total
Quizbowl team, leadership, 500 hours
Chemistry general interest club, leadership, 72 hours
STEM pen pal program with elementary school student, 45 hours

Relevant Honors or Awards: 4 research awards, 1 creative writing award
LOR type and strength: 1 research, 2 STEM (both chemistry)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: no experience assisting :-(
School list:
reach (? sorry I don't know if these are realistic):
Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF
target:
Tufts, Boston, UW, UoP (?)
safety (again sorry if these are unrealistic):
Western, Iowa, UNLV, OHSU, Touro
I would love advice on what other schools might be good to apply to/what schools I should take off my list!
why did you skip this?
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc.
 
Date of submission: hopefully end of June
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.68
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 480, PAT 530, SNS 480 (OC 480, GC 480, Bio 480), RC 500, QR 480
State of Residence: California

Undergrad: UW
Major: Biochemistry, Creative Writing
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 210, general
Volunteering Experience: 285, soup kitchen; 22, free clinic
Employment: 2000+, front desk type job
Research:
630, chemistry (photophysics), listed as author on manuscript in review
1200, chemistry (organic materials), listed as author on manuscript in submission, preparing to publish another one this summer
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental organizations, leadership, 72 hours total
Quizbowl team, leadership, 500 hours
Chemistry general interest club, leadership, 72 hours
STEM pen pal program with elementary school student, 45 hours

Relevant Honors or Awards: 4 research awards, 1 creative writing award
LOR type and strength: 1 research, 2 STEM (both chemistry)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: no experience assisting :-(
School list:
reach (? sorry I don't know if these are realistic):
Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF
target:
Tufts, Boston, UW, UoP (?)
safety (again sorry if these are unrealistic):
Western, Iowa, UNLV, OHSU, Touro
I would love advice on what other schools might be good to apply to/what schools I should take off my list!
how did you come up with this school list?
 
why did you skip this?
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadow faculty, etc.
sorry about that! I had to paste the template in two parts because it was a little longer than my screen so I must have accidentally deleted that line. I haven't really attended events at any dental schools other than UWSOD's.
how did you come up with this school list?
I tried to pick mostly schools in CA or near big cities/in blue states, and I threw in Iowa because it has a pretty strong clinical reputation (I'm leaning toward specializing in the future), and a couple of my friends are doing MFAs there.
 
sorry about that! I had to paste the template in two parts because it was a little longer than my screen so I must have accidentally deleted that line. I haven't really attended events at any dental schools other than UWSOD's.

I tried to pick mostly schools in CA or near big cities/in blue states, and I threw in Iowa because it has a pretty strong clinical reputation (I'm leaning toward specializing in the future), and a couple of my friends are doing MFAs there.
You can't pick a program because your friends live there. Ultimately, you'll spend more time treating patients, and while I agree that Iowa's reputation is good, I wonder whether you would be happy living there after 4 years.

Yes, PNWU Is new, but they are still in-state and looking for people who are dedicated to work with Washington patients.

And you seem to be avoiding USC.
 
sorry about that! I had to paste the template in two parts because it was a little longer than my screen so I must have accidentally deleted that line. I haven't really attended events at any dental schools other than UWSOD's.

I tried to pick mostly schools in CA or near big cities/in blue states, and I threw in Iowa because it has a pretty strong clinical reputation (I'm leaning toward specializing in the future), and a couple of my friends are doing MFAs there.
what kinds of events have you attended at UWSOD?
did you meet with the admissions staff to discuss your application?
 
sorry about that! I had to paste the template in two parts because it was a little longer than my screen so I must have accidentally deleted that line. I haven't really attended events at any dental schools other than UWSOD's.

I tried to pick mostly schools in CA or near big cities/in blue states, and I threw in Iowa because it has a pretty strong clinical reputation (I'm leaning toward specializing in the future), and a couple of my friends are doing MFAs there.
you get interview invites and acceptances by having mission fit with a program
CA/blue states and "friends go there" are not mission fit

also, most dental schools, even if they are in red states, are in blue cities...
 
Date of submission: hopefully end of June
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.68
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.61
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 480, PAT 530, SNS 480 (OC 480, GC 480, Bio 480), RC 500, QR 480
State of Residence: California

Undergrad: UW
Major: Biochemistry, Creative Writing
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 210, general
Volunteering Experience: 285, soup kitchen; 22, free clinic
Employment: 2000+, front desk type job
Research:
630, chemistry (photophysics), listed as author on manuscript in review
1200, chemistry (organic materials), listed as author on manuscript in submission, preparing to publish another one this summer
Other Extracurriculars:
Pre-dental organizations, leadership, 72 hours total
Quizbowl team, leadership, 500 hours
Chemistry general interest club, leadership, 72 hours
STEM pen pal program with elementary school student, 45 hours

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? attended UWSOD open houses/info sessions, and have networked with dental students mostly from UWSOD but also at UoP, CNU, and other West Coast schools thanks to D12 ASDA.
Relevant Honors or Awards: 4 research awards, 1 creative writing award
LOR type and strength: 1 research, 2 STEM (both chemistry)
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: no experience assisting :-(
School list:
reach (? sorry I don't know if these are realistic):
Penn, Columbia, UCLA, UCSF
target:
Tufts, Boston, UW, UoP (?)
safety (again sorry if these are unrealistic):
Western, Iowa, UNLV, OHSU, Touro
I would love advice on what other schools might be good to apply to/what schools I should take off my list!
how did you classify your reach/target/safety schools?
 
You can't pick a program because your friends live there. Ultimately, you'll spend more time treating patients, and while I agree that Iowa's reputation is good, I wonder whether you would be happy living there after 4 years.

Yes, PNWU Is new, but they are still in-state and looking for people who are dedicated to work with Washington patients.

And you seem to be avoiding USC.
That's good advice, I'll definitely take that to heart! I was avoiding USC since I heard it was one of the most expensive dental schools, but not sure how true that is right now?