WAMC 3.10 sgpa, 3.40 cgpa, 513

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1067572

Hey all,

Was wondering what you all think about my chances at an MD school? I'm a GA resident and my degree is biochemistry, I just graduated in May. I have sent out applications this cycle but I feel pretty disheartened about my chances.

I was actually thinking of applying to SMPs like Boston or Tulane for a grade booster. I know Georgetown's application is already open. I hate that I have to pay 50k to prove I can make it, but I guess that's just something I can do. I have decent EC's (couple hundred of hours of volunteering, shadowing experience, and have been an RA and TA). I could definitely boost my clinical hours and shadowing but with COVID-19 I am unable to find those opportunities.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many hours of shadowing and clinical volunteering do you have ? Which schools did you apply to ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Upward trend? Lots of clinical work hours? Long term volunteering?

Numbers wise I was very similar and got accepted to am in state private MD school. So I dont think strictly numbers will hold you back but the rest of your app needs to be very strong

Reactions: 1 users
How many hours of shadowing and clinical volunteering do you have ? Which schools did you apply to ?

Ok a full breakdown of EC hours:
Clinical volunteering: 100, 250 + (still volunteering)
Paid employment: 400
Peer mentor: 50
Volunteer (non clinical): 115
Clinical observation: 320
Physician shadowing: 35
Tutoring: 110
Paid employment as a scribe: 1000
Research: 650 (no pubs)

My school list is:
Mercer
FIU Herbert
Morehouse
Howard
U Wisconsin
Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University
University of Arizona - Tuscon
Medical College of Wisconsin
Drexel
Emory
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
University of Rochester
Temple
U Miami
UCF
NYMC
Loyola
Albany Med
University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences
University of Vermont
Tulane University School of Medicine
MCG
Wayne State
Michigan State University
University of Colorado
University of South Carolina - Greenville
Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall University
University of Indiana
Cooper Rowan

Hey all,

Was wondering what you all think about my chances at an MD school? I'm a GA resident and my degree is biochemistry, I just graduated in May. I have sent out applications this cycle but I feel pretty disheartened about my chances.

I was actually thinking of applying to SMPs like Brown or Tulane for a grade booster. I know Georgetown's application is already open. I hate that I have to pay 50k to prove I can make it, but I guess that's just something I can do. I have decent EC's (couple hundred of hours of volunteering, shadowing experience, and have been an RA and TA). I could definitely boost my clinical hours and shadowing but with COVID-19 I am unable to find those opportunities.

Thanks in advance for all your feedback!
As of now, your sGPA is lethal for MD, and circling the drain for DO.

You can do a DIY postbac if money is an issue. Read my post on reinvention for premeds

You can do a DIY postbac if money is an issue. Read my post on reinvention for premeds

Thank you for the honesty. And in my situation where most of my classes were science- would you recommend doing a post-bacc or SMP? I read that the post-bacc may not boost your GPA by much since it'll just be more science classes.

Edit: found the article- thank you.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question about this. Over here you tell OP that their sGPA is circling the drain for DO which sounds to me like saying they need post-bacc work before they can apply. But on this thread you tell someone with identical GPA's and 6 points lower on the mcat that they "have a chance at DO with a broad app." Why the difference? Really just asking because I very well could have similar GPA's.

Sorry not trying to hijack the thread but I have a question about this. Over here you tell OP that their sGPA is circling the drain for DO which sounds to me like saying they need post-bacc work before they can apply. But on this thread you tell someone with identical GPA's and 6 points lower on the mcat that they "have a chance at DO with a broad app." Why the difference? Really just asking because I very well could have similar GPA's.
This thread is about Someone wanting MD. I would think by @Goro saying “circling the drain for DO” he was simply reinforcing that the Applicant was barely competitive for DO let alone MD. He never said the OP couldn’t apply DO and be successful with a very broad list.

This thread is about Someone wanting MD. I would think by @Goro saying “circling the drain for DO” he was simply reinforcing that the Applicant was barely competitive for DO let alone MD. He never said the OP couldn’t apply DO and be successful with a very broad list.

Thank you for the honesty once again. I think I need to be realistic about my chances and I know a 3.11 is not competitive. Would you recommend an SMP or Post-bacc?

Thank you for the honesty once again. I think I need to be realistic about my chances and I know a 3.11 is not competitive. Would you recommend an SMP or Post-bacc?
You have a really nice MCAT. Even your cGPA isn’t awful. I think maybe 2-3 semesters of full time, upper division science classes where you get mostly As would go along way to convincing ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. Of course there are no guarantees but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

• Care

Ah I see makes sense. Think I just misinterpreted how extreme each of those verdicts sounded. Thanks!

You have a really nice MCAT. Even your cGPA isn’t awful. I think maybe 2-3 semesters of full time, upper division science classes where you get mostly As would go along way to convincing ADCOMS that you are up to the rigors of med school. Of course there are no guarantees but it’s worth a try. Good luck!

Thank you. This really meant a lot to me. I think this is a process that sows a lot of doubt and I know I can and will work hard.

You could calculate how much a 4.0 gpa over 20 credits worth of science credits (essentially 6 classes over 3l2 semesters) and see how high it raises the science GPA.

Do that for 20 credits and 30 and see what is realistic. Also getting 4.0 in DIY is not a guarantee. But I will say that I did do a DIY and mine was 20 or 21 credits (cant remember exactly). My GPA for those was 4.0, which made my final 40ish strictly science credits gpa like 3.8 or something.

That is essentially what you also need to do for MD. Otherwise your app as is would be fine for DO