WAMC: 3.4/3.28 517 | Need help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Princeton Medical Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.4
sGPA: 3.28
MCAT: 517
Major: Computer science
UGrad: Expensive NYC one
State: NJ
Activities:
  • 3000+ hours volunteering as EMT
  • 300+ hours paid employment as EMT
  • 100+ hours research across two labs. No pubs, but can talk about both pretty extensively.
  • 100+ hours working as an ESL tutor. Will also start volunteering doing the same thing before the app cycle starts.
  • ~10 hours online shadowing
My hope is to get into a DO school, but I received FAP so I intend to apply to 20 MD schools in hopes of maybe getting a bit lucky. Would really LOVE help with school list.
MD list thus far:
  1. Temple
  2. Loyola
  3. NYMC
  4. Tulane
  5. Wake Forest
  6. VTech
  7. Cooper
  8. Hackensack
  9. RWJMS
  10. NJMS
  11. Qunnipiac
  12. Thomas Jefferson
  13. UMiami
  14. UIC
  15. Penn State
  16. Geisinger
  17. Drexel
  18. St. Louis
  19. Virginia Commonwealth
  20. Rush
DO list:
  1. PCOM
  2. NYITCOM
  3. Rowan
  4. AT Still
  5. DMUCOM
  6. CCOM
  7. KCU
  8. Nova
  9. VCOM
  10. UNTHSC
  11. UNECOM
  12. PacNW
  13. Western
  14. Western-OR
  15. LECOM (Erie only)
  16. LMU-DCOM

I am looking at potentially adding more MD schools past the 20 school FAP limit, and of course need feedback on the list so far. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your activities are great and MCAT is excellent. GPA is the weak link for MD - if your GPA falls below the 10th percentile for those schools maybe look for some where you are still in range. I think your best bet for MD is your NJ schools.

Overall the MD list looks appropriate. UIC and Penn State might be low yield. You could also look into Albany, MCW, Wayne State, Oakland, Princeton Med.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Have you considered doing a post-bacc? I have a similarly low GPA/high MCAT app, but I did ~40 credits of post-bacc (at night, while working) to get my GPA up. Even though its still low, I spoke with a couple of competitive schools and they said my good post-bacc + high MCAT gave them no concerns about academics. You would probably open up your options a bit more.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Have you considered doing a post-bacc? I have a similarly low GPA/high MCAT app, but I did ~40 credits of post-bacc (at night, while working) to get my GPA up. Even though its still low, I spoke with a couple of competitive schools and they said my good post-bacc + high MCAT gave them no concerns about academics. You would probably open up your options a bit more.
To be perfectly honest I am a bit too inpatient for it and feel confident enough in having a decent shot at DO at this point. Ill already be at two gap years by the time I apply with an extra 7 credit tiiiny post bacc.

Reactions: 1 user
Remove VTech, UIC and Miami. You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Vermont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin

UIC and Miami give preference to their own state residents and accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. VTech has a small class with a regional preference .

UIC and Miami give preference to their own state residents and accept few non residents with your GPA and no connection to the state. VTech has a small class with a regional preference .
not to derail this, but is that true about Miami? I thought it was a private university, it looks like 45% of their class is from out of state.